What Is Considered To Be A Rude Cyclist?

metalmancpa

Jun 11, 2015
As a cyclist myself, but also someone who drives a car and encounters cyclists regularly, I have my own personal opinion on cyclists I consider to be rude?

I have yet to ever ride in a group. I ride by myself. That being said, when I see/hear a car approaching, I get as far over to the right as humanly possible to give as much of the road to the cars. I never ride with music in my ears. I have a speaker I listen to, but it allows me to hear my surroundings. When I'm driving and come up to someone on a bike who is more in the lane and doesn't move, I find that rude. Also, IMHO, riding with headphones on is not only rude but dangerous.

I think it's a tad more difficult to assess with a group of riders. My inclination is to say group riders should ride single file when cars are on the road, and only side-by-side on a clear road. Too many times I come up on a group and I'll be forced to almost stop (well, go at their speed) because riders will be side-by-side in my lane. That I find rude.

Agree? Disagree?

I agree with your take . I ride to keep in form , not to socialize with other people. Aside from that I ride at a pace that leaves no extra breath for conversation with others.

Mostly disagree. Riding as far to the right as possible is inviting cars to squeeze past, even when there is oncoming traffic.

For groups, riding two-abreast, side-by-side is legal in this state and I suspect others.

When you come upon a group of cyclists in your car, you pass them just like you would a slow-moving piece of farm equipment. You should slow down and wait until it's safe to pass. Then, signal and pull out into the other lane completely.

"Taking the lane" on narrow, no-shoulder country roads isn't being rude, it's our right as cyclists. To try to pretend you're not on the road is more dangerous.

Reactions: CoolCat
Well cyclist should stay in the bike lane. If there is none, then they should all stick to the far right side of the road and not be zig zaging across the lane like they are the only ones there. That really irritates me. It makes me want to hit them just to teach them a lesson.

I don't mind if a group of cyclists like to socialize while riding. As long as this doesn't detract from riding safely and following road rules. But I do prefer when cyclists ride in a single behind file as they are actually supposed to. This shows me that they are courteous and respect all other road users. One thing that does annoy me is the lack of hand signalling, when I started riding my bike this was mandatory. Nowadays many cyclists flout this very important rule which can be very callous and dangerous in some situations.

I think anyone who's purposely doing things to hurt the flow of traffic for no safety benefit is my definition of rude cyclist. If you're zig-zagging all over the place, or blowing through 4 way stops when you know people are waiting just because you know they won't hit you, you're definitely being rude.

I don't think taking the lane counts as rudeness though because it's just playing it safe. I've almost been clipped so many times by someone passing me when I tried to stay on the right. Some people don't know how or are unwilling to give you a decent amount of space while they're passing. When people like that pass me, there's always a risk either one of us is gonna mess up and an accident happens.

joshposh said:
Well cyclist should stay in the bike lane. If there is none, then they should all stick to the far right side of the road and not be zig zaging across the lane like they are the only ones there. That really irritates me. It makes me want to hit them just to teach them a lesson.
Better hope you don't since you have posted your intent. It shows premeditation and would be admissable at your trial.

Peeing and defecating in people's front yards. Using bad language in a loud voice. Using an unnecessarily loud voice. Throwing food wrappers in the road. Leaving spent tubes and CO2 cartridges on the side of the road. Pulling out to pass other riders without checking to see whatever might be passing you. Riding to the left farther than what is necessary. Not looking or signaling before turning or changing lanes. Not holding your line in corners. Attacking the ride leader after sucking his wheel all morning. Attacking and sprinting on a social ride. Listening to the iPod on a group ride. Dropping the group ride sweep after she drops back to help you with a flat. Showing up for a group ride on a bike in poor mechanical order. Keeping the group ride waiting while you get your stuff ready. Not pumping your own tires. Arguing with companions. Excessive woo-hooing in tunnels. Riding in an unpredictable, inconsiderate, and possibly illegal manner when the group ride encounters intersections or traffic. Being unclean in person and kit.

I've seen it all. Have I left anything out?

"Excessive woo-hooing in tunnels."

First I've heard of that one.

haha at "Excessive woo-hooing in tunnels." That is probably really rude, but it's a funny mental image.

I have seen similar annoying things from a group of riders before I started riding. They were a rather large group, about 20-30 riders on a normal week, and they would just trash parks they all met up in. They'd leave beer cans and trash all over the place. It was like a plague of biker locusts. Then they'd turn around and say they didn't understand why nobody liked them.

Catsyo said:
I have seen similar annoying things from a group of riders before I started riding. They were a rather large group, about 20-30 riders on a normal week, and they would just trash parks they all met up in. They'd leave beer cans and trash all over the place. It was like a plague of biker locusts. Then they'd turn around and say they didn't understand why nobody liked them.
Are you talking about riders of bicycles or motorcycles?

Mean and bad cyclists usually are those idiots who always cut off traffic for no reason, follows the yellow brick road in broad daylight, and yells at cars passing by them for no reason...

I am a hybrid because I am a rider and I am a car driver as well. During traffic stops, riders (bikers and motorcylists) would snake their way into traffic to reach the front of the line. In that method, there is the risk of hitting vehicles as they snake along. What worse is when you tell them to be careful, they would say that you are lucky to have a car and yet you value your car more than humans .What? That's how rude riders are over here.

With you there, Corzhens. Most of us bike and drive too.

If there's a bike lane I'll take it to the intersection, or to the last biker in line, what ever comes first. Snaking is poor manners. So is crowding in front of other bikers already there. So is stopping your car in the bike lane so bikers can't move up. I've seen them all.

oldbobcat said:
Are you talking about riders of bicycles or motorcycles?
I was talking about bicycles. It was a group of college kids. I never had a bike when they were around, but I did witness the aftermath. Most of them matured out of it and are probably embarrassed of that behavior though. This was a regular occurrence, every Friday night from Spring until Fall. I knew some other riders who were really angry about it because they thought it made cyclists look bad in general.

Glad they outgrew it.

I broke my rule against snaking yesterday. I was in a hurry to catch a bus when a woman in a Prius pulled out of her parking space directly in front of me. There was a red light ahead, with two or three cars already waiting, and I was planning to ease up to the stop line on their right. I ended up passing the Prius and a couple more on the left, and a gent in a pickup let me back in. Thank you, sir. I missed the bus anyway.

Look guys in all honesty, the was built for cars and not bikes, but because people enjoy the sport so much they have made exceptions such as the bike lane for cyclists to ride in, I always give way to cars, because lets face it the person driving the car isn't going to be as badly hurt as I am if there is a collision, so decide what is more important, your life? or your pride?

I've never came across of a rude cyclist, so I don't know how he/she would act.