What Is Considered To Be A Rude Cyclist?

oldbobcat said:
Peeing and defecating in people's front yards. Using bad language in a loud voice. Using an unnecessarily loud voice. Throwing food wrappers in the road. Leaving spent tubes and CO2 cartridges on the side of the road. Pulling out to pass other riders without checking to see whatever might be passing you. Riding to the left farther than what is necessary. Not looking or signaling before turning or changing lanes. Not holding your line in corners. Attacking the ride leader after sucking his wheel all morning. Attacking and sprinting on a social ride. Listening to the iPod on a group ride. Dropping the group ride sweep after she drops back to help you with a flat. Showing up for a group ride on a bike in poor mechanical order. Keeping the group ride waiting while you get your stuff ready. Not pumping your own tires. Arguing with companions. Excessive woo-hooing in tunnels. Riding in an unpredictable, inconsiderate, and possibly illegal manner when the group ride encounters intersections or traffic. Being unclean in person and kit.

I've seen it all. Have I left anything out?

Wow! Defeacting in people's front yards? Thankfully, I've never had to contend with that. Where do you live?
The rest of your list sounds pretty much like everyday life to me, but people here do use toilets. Group rides are very organized, as life in this country is dangerous, and the possibility of getting attacked and robbed any time is very real. People are obviously very conscious of this, and wouldn't dream of riding with their ipod. It's too precious to lose. Also, riding in groups is safer, as you are less likely to have your bike stolen.

I agree with dhk2. Motorist need to be taught that we are not simply obstacles but vulnerable flesh.
Use what is yours-the road. We have a greater more right and an equal legal right to the tarmac.
I find that a raised hand as a 'thank you' or a raised finger when appropriate serve well to instruct drivers about their actions.
Lets not be timid.

jhuskey said:
Yes of course, the standard group ride followed by the group **** in someone yard.
My husband had caught a group of cyclists doing their thing (urinating) behind a bus during a traffic stop. It was unfortunate that my husband's camera was not in the car. He would have taken a photo or a video of those cyclists. It was a cold morning so that may have hastened the condensation of their bladders. But I believe that some cyclists do that for mischief. No offense, I am only basing my comments on my experience.

jhuskey said:
Better hope you don't since you have posted your intent. It shows premeditation and would be admissable at your trial.
It was a joke. What I think in the moment even how harsh it sounds, doesn't mean I'm going to do it.

I understand but I always advised, never post anything you wouldn't say it court. You wouldn't believe this but people twist things.

One time we were at a small mall when this group of cyclists arrived. It was a festival of sorts because they have with them streamers that they posted near the parking entrance of the mall. And while those streamers were being positioned the other cyclists were reclined on the small grassy lawn that separates the parking area and the pathway. In spite of the big sign that said keep off the grass, those tired cyclists were there and some were even sleeping from the looks of it.

Ah yeah that sounds pretty rude. I think that some think that since they are riding a vehicle that they are as safe as if they were in one. I think it is pretty dumb to ride like this. Almost like arrogant, but they are tough. Nothing shakes them if their concentration is like this. There is a certain mindset when you've been doing it a while and nothing really bothers you.

Maybe the biker occupies the lane because he feels that he is as important as any other motorists on the road. It is good that you move over out of the lane because in doing that you are also playing it safe.

bittern said:
I agree with dhk2. Motorist need to be taught that we are not simply obstacles but vulnerable flesh.
Use what is yours-the road. We have a greater more right and an equal legal right to the tarmac.
I find that a raised hand as a 'thank you' or a raised finger when appropriate serve well to instruct drivers about their actions.
Lets not be timid.
Yes there should be no problem with raised hand. You can use your body language to indicate what you want and expect on the road from others.

Unfortunately not every one who wears a helmet has a brain. I don't think a lot of persons understand that cyclists need to be sensible on the road and pay attention to the road codes.

JSWin said:
Ah yeah that sounds pretty rude. I think that some think that since they are riding a vehicle that they are as safe as if they were in one. I think it is pretty dumb to ride like this. Almost like arrogant, but they are tough. Nothing shakes them if their concentration is like this. There is a certain mindset when you've been doing it a while and nothing really bothers you.
Yea, some Folks just don't know better... They weren't brought up properly

I was a rude cyclist once - a club I belonged to in the late 80s had evening Summer races. I drove to the race but had forgotten my shoes!! Doh.

Amazingly they held up the race while I drove home in dad's '67 VW Beetle (which I still own), got my shoes and drove back.

I got dropped within a few kilometers. Maybe they were trying to get back at me....

I stay in the bike lane when possible and stick as far to the side of the road as I can, but to be honest I'm doing it more for my own safety than out of politeness.

When I'm riding with a group we usually go single file, or two abreast if there's room, and of course depending on traffic. We don't socialize too much while riding and try to be aware of other cyclists/pedestrians sharing our route, and give a quick 'on your right' or whatever if we need to overtake someone.

In my experience it's mainly foot pedestrians using bike paths that seem unaware of how to conduct themselves, walking four people across and getting an attitude when someone on a bike asks to get past.

Well, not all the cyclists are rude. Some of them are rude but they lose their temper because of the other vehicle owners or a car driver. I have seen hundreds of fight between a car driver and a cyclist. So, I think we should not lose our temper when anything goes wrong.

You're only rude if your actions are affectin other people, in a negative way. Unless you're not being a asshole, like not letting cars pass by you, you'll be good.

Peeing over public property is not only a rude move, but being an overall **** of a person. Also to ride in the incorrect lane alongside pedestrian and not asking for permission when advancing forward through a person or rider.

I'm probably a rude cyclist in that I'll own the lane when i feel it's necessary and will quite happily take advantage of a driver's hesitation in taking his right of way by not making eye contact.

Other cyclists rudeness? Riding too close and fast to pedestrians on shared paths. Moving to the front of the traffic lights- I join the queue.

But what really annoys me is when a cyclist passes me without slowing down and having a chat or even worse just ignoring me.

Oh, and undertaking.

Peeing over public property is not only a rude move, but being an overall **** of a person. Also to ride in the incorrect lane alongside pedestrian and not asking for permission when advancing forward through a person or rider.

I'm quite surprised with that permission thing. Do you mean to say that when you overtake another rider, you have to ask permission similar to a signal light when you are turning? I didn't know of that riding etiquette if there is one here although sometimes I hear some yell or shout pertaining to what they are going to do like pulling over or if they needed to warn riders ahead of them of a speeding vehicle behind.

The rudest thing I have experienced would be cars just wanting to hurry up and get around me. I live in the Appalachian Mountains, so many of the routes are very narrow and curvy. Some people will drive up incredibly close to my bike, trying to intimidate me to get off the road so they can pass. That intimidation works quite well.