What is exactly is Cyclocross???

surgtech1956

Apr 10, 2007
Sorry for the dumb question. Please explain to me what exactly is a cyclocross? Am I understanding that a cyclocross bike is a road bike but with more of a hybrid tire on it? Thanks

Chris-Horner-high-stepping.jpg

Chris Horner doing some off season cyclocross to keep in shape.

surgtech1956 said:
Sorry for the dumb question. Please explain to me what exactly is a cyclocross? Am I understanding that a cyclocross bike is a road bike but with more of a hybrid tire on it? Thanks
Cyclocross is not a road bike, it's a cyclocross bike!
It's a bit different...

Cyclocross bike are used in race with also paved road, but above all path with mud and/or grass. Sometimes riders must walk with their bike on the shoulders upstairs (some steps in the path...).

Mainly difference in the bike:
-smaller chainrings (e.g.: 46-36, 48-36... Someone use a single 42t chainring)
-cantilver brakes (not common road brakes)
-up-pull front derailleur (I don't know if it's the righe name... Anyway, front derailleur wire comes from up, not from down as in common bike)
-a bite different frame as regard geometry (e.g.: cyclocross frames allow wider tires)
-someone uses a second couple of brake levers
-32-40mm tires for riding on the grass and on mud

Lanerossi said:
Cyclocross is not a road bike, it's a cyclocross bike!
It's a bit different...

Cyclocross bike are used in race with also paved road, but above all path with mud and/or grass. Sometimes riders must walk with their bike on the shoulders upstairs (some steps in the path...).

Mainly difference in the bike:
-smaller chainrings (e.g.: 46-36, 48-36... Someone use a single 42t chainring)
-cantilver brakes (not common road brakes)
-up-pull front derailleur (I don't know if it's the righe name... Anyway, front derailleur wire comes from up, not from down as in common bike)
-a bite different frame as regard geometry (e.g.: cyclocross frames allow wider tires)
-someone uses a second couple of brake levers
-32-40mm tires for riding on the grass and on mud
In the past lots of road riders did cyclocross during the winter...
I forget: it's a bit different than mtb