What is happening physiologically...



simplyred

New Member
Sep 27, 2007
50
0
0
When we are doing L3/SST/L4? L5/L6/L7?

I understand we are stimulating specific mechanisms that catalyze physiological adaptations [ie. trainingpeaks.com/Dr. Coggan descriptions], but what mechanisms and biological environment are created/activated - locally and globally - during/after the L3/SST/L4 sessions? L5/L6/L7 sessions? Why does it take so damn long for the body to recognize these mechanisms as message: "raise sustainable power!!"?

Pain during cycling stress is - lactic acid literally burning the muscles?
Pain during recovery is - overuse at high frequency & force [relatively speaking]? What does a muscle that has been overused [let's say -200 TSB] look like compared to a muscle with 0 TSB [an impossibility
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
]?

Thanks in advance for the answers.
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
4
0
Perhaps someone else can direct you to an internet-study Masters degree in exercise physiology ;) , but in the mean time this is a pretty good resource for the type of info you're curious about (except for the lactic acid references, which show that the website is a bit dated). Enjoy! :)
 

simplyred

New Member
Sep 27, 2007
50
0
0
frenchyge said:
Perhaps someone else can direct you to an internet-study Masters degree in exercise physiology ;) , but in the mean time this is a pretty good resource for the type of info you're curious about (except for the lactic acid references, which show that the website is a bit dated). Enjoy! :)
Hahaha - maybe I should sneak into some university seminars and ask these questions - I'll report back :D

The motivaton behind my question is to find methods to better facilitate both my physiological adaptation and recovery. [read: I'm pushing a 170W FTP after plunging from 220W in the winter]

If you can figure out what needs to be in the muscles to get maximal overcompensation effects and speedy recoveries - we're rolling our way to bigger and better things. [read: I want to go zoom-zoom fast]

Thanks.
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
4
0
Whoops! I forgot to include the link to the "pretty good resource," and you still took my sarcastic comment in a friendly way -- thanks! :eek:

Here is the info I'd intended to provide above:
http://home.hia.no/~stephens/exphys.htm

The great thing about the body is that it'll do what's needed most without being told (or our even understanding what that is) as long as the right stimulus is being provided. IOW, if you just ride, your body will get better at riding whether you understand the processes or not -- so keep training while you're reading the links above. :)
 

Felt_Rider

Well-Known Member
Oct 24, 2004
3,257
54
48
frenchyge said:
The great thing about the body is that it'll do what's needed most without being told (or our even understanding what that is) as long as the right stimulus is being provided. IOW, if you just ride, your body will get better at riding whether you understand the processes or not -- so keep training while you're reading the links above. :)
I guess I am on the right plan then. :)
 

simplyred

New Member
Sep 27, 2007
50
0
0
frenchyge said:
Whoops! I forgot to include the link to the "pretty good resource," and you still took my sarcastic comment in a friendly way -- thanks! :eek:

Here is the info I'd intended to provide above:
http://home.hia.no/~stephens/exphys.htm

The great thing about the body is that it'll do what's needed most without being told (or our even understanding what that is) as long as the right stimulus is being provided. IOW, if you just ride, your body will get better at riding whether you understand the processes or not -- so keep training while you're reading the links above. :)
I've been around forums quite a bit - I've gotten a good grasp at what is what. Plus - I've read a lot of your posts - you're an informative poster.

Aha!
Back to one of my fav websites! ;) I've been all over that website. Studying that instead of my statics/thermodynamics/microscopy/SEM [can you guess my major?] :D

Yeah - I know what must be done - I just wish there were faster, more efficient ways than L3/SST/L4 - granted - comapred to most training plans - RST/Coggan themes are already waaay more efficient.

Thanks again.
 

daveryanwyoming

Well-Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
3,857
190
0
simplyred said:
... I just wish there were faster, more efficient ways than L3/SST/L4 - ...
There are, they're just not safe nor legal......

I think of it this way, you're body is constantly renewing cells, training just places stress on the system that encourages the next small batch of reborn cells to hold a bit more mitochondria, or maybe add a few capillaries or red blood cells to supply muscles that are frequently screaming for O2. IOW, the speed at which your body rebuilds itself is somewhat independent of exercise intensity or frequency. The big difference from sedentary folks is that our exercise stress and frequency encourages each new batch of cells to be a bit better at handling the stresses we subject ourselves to. So the adaptation rate doesn't necessarily get any faster but at least we can influence what sort of adaptations occur.

So this stuff takes time, it takes a bit less time if we encourage the right adaptations and takes a lot more time if we don't. From that standpoint the SST/Coggan/Lydiard stuff is pretty effective at targeting the desired adaptations so we don't waste a lot of time understressing (and not inducing adaptation) or overstressing (and not recovering well enough to adapt) our systems. But that doesn't mean it'll get any faster than our body's ability to regenerate tissue.

Just my totally unscientific take on it,
-Dave
 

morning wood

New Member
May 10, 2007
17
0
0
frenchyge said:
Whoops! I forgot to include the link to the "pretty good resource," and you still took my sarcastic comment in a friendly way -- thanks! :eek:

Here is the info I'd intended to provide above:
http://home.hia.no/~stephens/exphys.htm

The great thing about the body is that it'll do what's needed most without being told (or our even understanding what that is) as long as the right stimulus is being provided. IOW, if you just ride, your body will get better at riding whether you understand the processes or not -- so keep training while you're reading the links above. :)
Is it me or does the link no longer work:confused:
 

daveryanwyoming

Well-Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
3,857
190
0
morning wood said:
Is it me or does the link no longer work:confused:
Nope, it's not just you. It worked last week when frenchyge posted it and it worked from the bookmark I have from way back on that page. But it doesn't appear to work at the moment.

-Dave
 

Similar threads