What is it about Cadel . . .

serpico7

Sep 18, 2006
that makes me dislike him?

Assuming he's clean (and so far he seems to have avoided the doping taint), then I'm incredibly impressed that he managed to hang close to supermen like Ras and Contadope last year, and that he's in the driver's seat at this year's tour. And the tears after putting on the yellow jersey for the first time makes me want to like him even more.

But then, I hear his voice and see those facial expressions, and I immediately dislike him. Even when he's not throwing his teammates under the bus, there is something about his voice/facial expressions that turns me off. Anyone else feel the same way?

serpico7 said:

Assuming he's clean (and so far he seems to have avoided the doping taint), then I'm incredibly impressed that he managed to hang close to supermen like Ras and Contadope last year, and that he's in the driver's seat at this year's tour. And the tears after putting on the yellow jersey for the first time makes me want to like him even more.

But then, I hear his voice and see those facial expressions, and I immediately dislike him. Even when he's not throwing his teammates under the bus, there is something about his voice/facial expressions that turns me off. Anyone else feel the same way?
His face isn't symetrical. Tests have been done that show people prefer symetrical faces. His voice does not have a soothing tone at all. Between the two, he manages to rub people the wrong way no matter what he says or does. ;)

serpico7 said:

Not me.

i used to not like him because he was boring...never attacking...

but he slowly gained some respect by competing in the Vuelta last year after doing the Tour and by how happy he has been to be in yellow these last few days.

Can't hate a man who loves being in yellow so much...it's endearing.

EvilJediJ said:
i used to not like him because he was boring...never attacking...

but he slowly gained some respect by competing in the Vuelta last year after doing the Tour and by how happy he has been to be in yellow these last few days.

Can't hate a man who loves being in yellow so much...it's endearing.
I have to say that I have more respect for him. I don't want him to win the TdF, but if he did, I wouldn't cry either.

I have to say that my Cadel meter has gone down a bit. And I am an Aussie who is supposed to be jumping on the bandwagon of victory this year.

I guess it was this video below that opened my eyes. Granted that the reporter was tapping his [very sore] shoulder to get his attention, the combination of the 12 year old voice, with the 12 year old reaction, made me think he is not quite got it as far as stately composure go for a "champion". Though this is not a personality contest. He needs some lessons in public relations though IMHO.

Cadel's angry outburst.

His voice is definitely somewhat annoying.

But at least he is not a total wheelsucker this Tour.

Crankyfeet said:
I have to say that my Cadel meter has gone down a bit. And I am an Aussie who is supposed to be jumping on the bandwagon of victory this year.

I guess it was this video below that opened my eyes. Granted that the reporter was tapping his [very sore] shoulder to get his attention, the combination of the 12 year old voice, with the 12 year old reaction, made me think he is not quite got it as far as stately composure go for a "champion". Though this is not a personality contest. He needs some lessons in public relations though IMHO.

Cadel's angry outburst.
Yea, that was prickly...

Crankyfeet said:

Cadel's angry outburst.
That's too funny. The well padded mic gently touches his shoulder and he flips. And the second guy was just touching the stuffed lion. Cadel reacted like a little girl having her teddy bear taken away.

earth_dweller said:
yeah he does look very close to completely losing it. too much stress? too much... ?
It may be his nature to some extent, since this is not the first time that he has lost it.

TheDarkLord said:
I'll let Cranky chip in here since he was referring to a previous incident in another thread.
I'm not sure if we are on the same page.. but last year on a flat stage.. he threw his drink in the face of a moto-photographer who he thought was getting too close. And this year he shoved a motorcycle cop who he similarly thought was interfering. There seems to be a pattern of physical response and violent outbursts in his reaction to people not doing what he wants. I wouldn't like to be his wife (let alone that the sex with Cadel part would be difficult for me...
biggrin.gif
). My guess is that I think he was bullied at school (can you imagine how high his voice was before it cracked - coupled with an effeminate name like Cadel - in Oz it would have been a bully magnet). And he is now getting to do the puerile thing he couldn't do as a child.

Why do cyclists often come from these Flandis like backgrounds of unacceptance? Probably need that conflict as a kid to fuel the 4 hours training a day one needs, beating yourself on a bike on your own.

Crankyfeet said:
I'm not sure if we are on the same page.. but last year on a flat stage.. he threw his drink in the face of a moto-photographer who he thought was getting too close. And this year he shoved a motorcycle cop who he similarly thought was interfering. There seems to be a pattern of physical response and violent outbursts in his reaction to people not doing what he wants. I wouldn't like to be his wife (let alone that the sex with Cadel part would be difficult for me...
biggrin.gif
). My guess is that I think he was bullied at school (can you imagine how high his voice was before it cracked - coupled with an effeminate name like Cadel - in Oz it would have been a bully magnet). And he is now getting to do the puerile thing he couldn't do as a child.

Why do cyclists often come from these Flandis like backgrounds of unacceptance. Probably need that fuel to ride 4 hours a day on your own.
thanks cranky (sorry I missed it the first time around). I don't remember last year's incident but I really didn't pay much attention to the Tour last year. I did see this year's tantrums already. Maybe he is cracking under pressure.

Not only is his name Cadel, and that voice, but he had to deal with a mother called Helen Cocks - I kid you not check out this article where his mother is interviewed.

earth_dweller said:
thanks cranky (sorry I missed it the first time around). I don't remember last year's incident but I really didn't pay much attention to the Tour last year. I did see this year's tantrums already. Maybe he is cracking under pressure.

Not only is his name Cadel, and that voice, but he had to deal with a mother called Helen Cocks - I kid you not check out this article where his mother is interviewed.
Has his mother re-married... or that's her maiden name... or Cadel has changed his?

The crying also reminds me a bit of a 12 year old... though I can understand his emotion. It seems like handling emotion is a bit difficult for him.

No one can say he is a wimp on the bike though. He obviously was under a lot of pain... and his DS said that he never once referred to himself hurting on the team radio after the crash. He can ride through a lot of leg and heart exertion pain as well if his face and performances are anything to go by.

serpico7 said:
That's too funny. The well padded mic gently touches his shoulder and he flips. And the second guy was just touching the stuffed lion. Cadel reacted like a little girl having her teddy bear taken away.
I'm not a big fan of Cadel but .........
let's get a bit of perspective here - he thought he'd broken his collar bone and that can be exquisitely painful, in addition to the pain of exposed cutaneous nerve endings which results from scraping the top surface of skin off in a fall. The well padded mic gently touching his shoulder would have felt more like a heavy weight.

The guy was frightened about his collar bone and in pain and you expect him to stand there and smile cheerfully while he gets poked and prodded and generally jostled by an eager media? And when he reacts as he does you get your knickers in a knot and pontificate about his behaviour! FFS! :rolleyes:

Personally I cant stand the amateur hour psycho-bable going on in here but each to their own.
smile.gif

matagi said:
I'm not a big fan of Cadel but .........
let's get a bit of perspective here - he thought he'd broken his collar bone and that can be exquisitely painful, in addition to the pain of exposed cutaneous nerve endings which results from scraping the top surface of skin off in a fall. The well padded mic gently touching his shoulder would have felt more like a heavy weight.

The guy was frightened about his collar bone and in pain and you expect him to stand there and smile cheerfully while he gets poked and prodded and generally jostled by an eager media? And when he reacts as he does you get your knickers in a knot and pontificate about his behaviour! FFS! :rolleyes:
How about "hey guys, please don't touch my left shoulder - it's pretty sore and scraped up"?

Crankyfeet said:
biggrin.gif

Why do cyclists often come from these Flandis like backgrounds of unacceptance? Probably need that conflict as a kid to fuel the 4 hours training a day one needs, beating yourself on a bike on your own.
Maybe they had to ride really fast to get away from bullies...