What is it about Cadel . . .

serpico7 said:
How about "hey guys, please don't touch my left shoulder - it's pretty sore and scraped up"?
Yeah, I've seen lots of guys act like that....not.

earth_dweller said:
Not only is his name Cadel, and that voice, but he had to deal with a mother called Helen Cocks - I kid you not check out this article where his mother is interviewed.
Dear God...that's enough to make you a serial killer, I think...:D

Did you know that Tim Allen (comedian/actor) changed his name? It was Tim ****. Kid you not...he said he had to be funny to avoid being beaten up all the time.

Geoff Vadar said:
Personally I cant stand the amateur hour psycho-bable going on in here but each to their own.
smile.gif
I thought it wasn't obvious... but I am struggling to get out of the Dr. Phil pit.

So why did you keep riding a bike Geoff after you got your license to drive? Your footy sucked?

Actually your dad was a **** hot cyclist I understand, so that probably explains it. His footy probably sucked.

Crankyfeet said:
I have to say that my Cadel meter has gone down a bit. And I am an Aussie who is supposed to be jumping on the bandwagon of victory this year.

I guess it was this video below that opened my eyes. Granted that the reporter was tapping his [very sore] shoulder to get his attention, the combination of the 12 year old voice, with the 12 year old reaction, made me think he is not quite got it as far as stately composure go for a "champion". Though this is not a personality contest. He needs some lessons in public relations though IMHO.

Cadel's angry outburst.
Was that a shriek he let out when someone touched his lion? Best tour footage of the day IMO.

matagi said:
I'm not a big fan of Cadel but .........
let's get a bit of perspective here - he thought he'd broken his collar bone and that can be exquisitely painful, in addition to the pain of exposed cutaneous nerve endings which results from scraping the top surface of skin off in a fall. The well padded mic gently touching his shoulder would have felt more like a heavy weight.

The guy was frightened about his collar bone and in pain and you expect him to stand there and smile cheerfully while he gets poked and prodded and generally jostled by an eager media? And when he reacts as he does you get your knickers in a knot and pontificate about his behaviour! FFS! :rolleyes:
Thanks! that's what I was thinking - the guy thought his Tour was over at one point, is still in pain but not complaining while riding up mountains (according to the team people interviewed) - I think he had a right to get angry (and even a bit violent) if someone's stupid enough to try to get his attention by tapping on his sore shoulder. :rolleyes:

I like Cadel - he just seems more human than a lot of other riders. I've always had an issue with "Cadel doesn't attack" spouted over and over again - the first time I noticed him was in the 2005 Tour when gees, he was attacking over the Col d'Aubisque to move up into the top 10 on his first Tour. And the story about how he missed the Tour in 2003 because of a broken collarbone and in 2004 because T-Mobile was stupid or whatever just made him seem more of an underdog (particularly now, with the whole lack of a strong team thing) - I've always liked underdogs.

I've come to realize that perhaps when you first notice a rider influences your later opinions of them - perhaps that's why I've never been much of a Bettini fan, I think the first thing I knew about him was the 2005 Giro when he took out Baden Cooke in a sprint and got relegated... And also, perhaps one notices certain characteristics more if they've already formed a negative opinion of someone or something - I hardly notice his voice (if anything, I like the accent ;-) ).

so there's my Cadel fan posting ;)

Yeah... I'm a Cadel fan as well. I just am a bit perplexed by the reactions he is having to people that are not doing what he wants. And what was Serge, his bodyguard doing, while this guy was prodding his shoulder? Serge was standing beside him on the same side as the prodder. Surely he could have helped protect Cadel's shoulder after the first time Cadel tried to warn him.

The thing is we don't know the background either to make a judgment. Most of the leading pros are familiar with most of the reporters/journos on the circuit I imagine... especially after 10 stages of this race. That reporter could be someone who has irrritated Cadel before, or touched his shoulder before the camera came on, or written a biased story against Cadel in the press, or told Cadel he wanted his lion.

Crankyfeet said:
Yeah... I'm a Cadel fan as well. I just am a bit perplexed by the reactions he is having to people that are not doing what he wants. And what was Serge, his bodyguard doing, while this guy was prodding his shoulder? Serge was standing beside him on the same side as the prodder. Surely he could have helped protect Cadel's shoulder after the first time Cadel tried to warn him.

The thing is we don't know the background either to make a judgment. Most of the leading pros are familiar with most of the reporters/journos on the circuit I imagine... especially after 10 stages of this race. That reporter could be someone who has irrritated Cadel before, or touched his shoulder before the camera came on, or written a biased story against Cadel in the press, or told Cadel he wanted his lion.
Well...after I saw the link you posted :eek: ...I mean I was thinking it was the usual kind of thing, like when stars get mad at the paparazzi...but you were being generous with saying it was like a 12 year old...I'd go with 3 or 4...(from experience...:p ) The way he was clutching that lion was priceless....

Still want to see him win, just because he'd be the first Aussie (right? :confused: ) And now we can expect to see some seriously hilarious thread worthy behavior...:D Go Cadel Go...

Crankyfeet said:

all true - and good point about the bodyguard, shouldn't that be his job to make sure no one gets close enough to touch the injured shoulder?

I've read a few articles lately about Evans making comments that he gets stressed by the press conferences and media attention - I can easily see a person stressed by the situation when I've seen Cadel in some of these so-called "incidents". So, the relaxed atmosphere (outdoor picnicky thing) for the rest day press conference was probably a good idea overall for him ... and probably good that his team insisted on the bodyguard thing, again to help reduce certain stressors, maybe they recognized that about him. So again, something that people can criticize about him (ie being stressed)- but which makes him seem more human and real to me.

Crankyfeet said:

It was me. I was there taunting him all day saying I could kick his ass up Alpe D'Huez on my Big Wheel. I challenged him to a race - winner gets the lion, but he refused. He had his arms wrapped tight around that stuffed animal and I could hear him muttering something like 'precious..musn't lose the precious...cadel loves the precious.' Anyway, kinda creeped my out.

confusedfan said:
all true - and good point about the bodyguard, shouldn't that be his job to make sure no one gets close enough to touch the injured shoulder?

I've read a few articles lately about Evans making comments that he gets stressed by the press conferences and media attention - I can easily see a person stressed by the situation when I've seen Cadel in some of these so-called "incidents". So, the relaxed atmosphere (outdoor picnicky thing) for the rest day press conference was probably a good idea overall for him ... and probably good that his team insisted on the bodyguard thing, again to help reduce certain stressors, maybe they recognized that about him. So again, something that people can criticize about him (ie being stressed)- but which makes him seem more human and real to me.
Maybe he has some serious anxiety with all those people surrounding him, jostling him, and shoving stuff in his face...but if he actually does win the Tour, that isn't going to get better...

fscyclist said:
It was me. I was there taunting him all day saying I could kick his ass up Alpe D'Huez on my Big Wheel. I challenged him to a race - winner gets the lion, but he refused. He had his arms wrapped tight around that stuffed animal I could hear him muttering something like 'precious..musn't lose the precious...cadel loves the precious.' Anyway, kinda creeped my out.
ROTFLMAOWTIME....:D

matagi said:
I'm not a big fan of Cadel but .........
let's get a bit of perspective here - he thought he'd broken his collar bone and that can be exquisitely painful, in addition to the pain of exposed cutaneous nerve endings which results from scraping the top surface of skin off in a fall. The well padded mic gently touching his shoulder would have felt more like a heavy weight.

The guy was frightened about his collar bone and in pain and you expect him to stand there and smile cheerfully while he gets poked and prodded and generally jostled by an eager media? And when he reacts as he does you get your knickers in a knot and pontificate about his behaviour! FFS! :rolleyes:
If you are not going to allow pontificating in here... the posts from everyone will be very sparse... and I won't be able to post... which may not be such a bad thing...
wink.gif

nns1400 said:
Maybe he has some serious anxiety with all those people surrounding him, jostling him, and shoving stuff in his face...but if he actually does win the Tour, that isn't going to get better...
true, so hopefully he gets better at dealing with all of that ... remember that Lance had 7 years of yellow jerseys in which to practice his media interviews.

Originally Posted by fscyclist
It was me. I was there taunting him all day saying I could kick his ass up Alpe D'Huez on my Big Wheel. I challenged him to a race - winner gets the lion, but he refused. He had his arms wrapped tight around that stuffed animal I could hear him muttering something like 'precious..musn't lose the precious...cadel loves the precious.' Anyway, kinda creeped my out.
lol :D

nns1400 said:
Dear God...that's enough to make you a serial killer, I think...:D

Did you know that Tim Allen (comedian/actor) changed his name? It was Tim ****. Kid you not...he said he had to be funny to avoid being beaten up all the time.
Good thing his first name wasn't Richard.

wonder if his nickname was tiny while growing up.

earth_dweller said:

His book goes into great detail about all of that...and he said once someone said, too bad you don't have a sister named Anita...and he said now that's funny...:D

nns1400 said:
His book goes into great detail about all of that...and he said once someone said, too bad you don't have a sister named Anita...and he said now that's funny...:D
What about a brother called "Isaac"?...
tongue.gif

[needs to be said with a Russian accent...
wink.gif
]

earth_dweller said:

Down here in Oz, we had a state politician whose name was Richard Face - what were his parents thinking?