What is it about Cadel . . .

Call me a hopeless romantic but I like winners to win from the front!

Evans is a gormless rider who wins by picking up the pieces better than anybody else.

Wayching Evans win is like watching paint dry.

A win is a win yadda yadda GC strategy ho hum tactics...boring!

Give me an exciting loser over a winning Evans anyday.

C'mon Cadel - I dare you - attack off the front - I would love to eat every one of the words I've ridden - hell I'll print this page, douse it in Tabasco sauce and shove it up my nought if you do something other than follow wheels, counter attacks and set pace all day.

I don't know much about Evans.

I do admire his ability on the bike and his tenacity as a rider.

I have re-read some old Cycle Sport articles about Cadel.
The interview he did at Telekom was quite interesting.
He complained about the fact that the team communicated in German all the time and he felt like an outsider.
The interview he did after his transfer to Lotto from Telekom told of how he hated his time at Telekom and how Lotto gave him leadership role.

Eldron said:
Call me a hopeless romantic but I like winners to win from the front!

Evans is a gormless rider who wins by picking up the pieces better than anybody else.

Wayching Evans win is like watching paint dry.

A win is a win yadda yadda GC strategy ho hum tactics...boring!

Give me an exciting loser over a winning Evans anyday.

C'mon Cadel - I dare you - attack off the front - I would love to eat every one of the words I've ridden - hell I'll print this page, douse it in Tabasco sauce and shove it up my nought if you do something other than follow wheels, counter attacks and set pace all day.

I think you need to get on your bike and ride the course. Maybe then you'd get a clue.

b1_ said:
I think you need to get on your bike and ride the course. Maybe then you'd get a clue.

I'm battling a bit with your line of thinking...because I don't like the way Evans races I haven't been to France?

I'll put good money on the possibility that I've ridden and raced more cols in southern France than you've had birthdays. Methinks I'd make cash if I made it 5 or 10 times as many cols as birthdays...

But the real question is - what has racing experience got to do with opinions? Everyone here has an opinion and if you don't like mine (or anyone elses) you have my permission to grab your right ankle and shove your foot as far up your insulting little ******** as you can.

Eldron said:
I'm battling a bit with your line of thinking....
I'm not surprised.

It's called respect, and you clearly have none for what Cadel does on the bike. You can dislike the rider for whatever reason you please - the shape of his jaw, his bushy eyebrows, his way with the media, his boring riding style - but don't disrespect what he does. Your comments suggest to me that you have no inkling of what kind of effort is involved, which is why I suggested you should get on your bike and give it a try.

Eldron said:
I'll put good money on the possibility that I've ridden and raced more cols in southern France than you've had birthdays.
:rolleyes:

Give a ****.

All I know is that there are countless ways to deal with someone touching your injured shoulder. Girlishly swiping at the culprit with a "mommy the bad man is hurting me" look on your face ranks 2nd to last on the list of preferred responses, just above "slapping him with your soiled sanitary napkin".

b1_ said:

Why do I get the feeling all you Cadel haters watch The OC and The Bold and the Beautiful. Give me a normal, flawed person over a cool-as, Mr perfect knobhead any day of the week.
1. I don't own a TV.

2. Whether or not Cadel is clean, I have the utmost respect for his cycling abilities. Assuming everyone is doped to the gills, I have even more respect for Ricco's cycling abilities.

3. Cadel is a baby in a cyclist's body. "Bad man! Don't touch my lion!!!"

serpico7 said:
that makes me dislike him?

Assuming he's clean (and so far he seems to have avoided the doping taint), then I'm incredibly impressed that he managed to hang close to supermen like Ras and Contadope last year, and that he's in the driver's seat at this year's tour. And the tears after putting on the yellow jersey for the first time makes me want to like him even more.

But then, I hear his voice and see those facial expressions, and I immediately dislike him. Even when he's not throwing his teammates under the bus, there is something about his voice/facial expressions that turns me off. Anyone else feel the same way?
yes. he bites.

Crankyfeet said:
I have to say that my Cadel meter has gone down a bit. And I am an Aussie who is supposed to be jumping on the bandwagon of victory this year.

I guess it was this video below that opened my eyes. Granted that the reporter was tapping his [very sore] shoulder to get his attention, the combination of the 12 year old voice, with the 12 year old reaction, made me think he is not quite got it as far as stately composure go for a "champion". Though this is not a personality contest. He needs some lessons in public relations though IMHO.

Cadel's angry outburst.
what an ass.

Grater said:
He is soft having a body guard. Soft!

I want Cadel to turn up a positive drug test. It probably won't happen but I want him to be all assured of yellow and then the news comes that he failed a doping test. That would bring the Aussie public back down to earth. Everyone is praising this ******.

A crash, a doping allegation or getting his **** kicked in the alps and not making up enough time on the time trial will be enough.
okay, i know i shouldnt agree, but i wholeheartedly do! :p

b1_ said:
I'm not surprised.

It's called respect, and you clearly have none for what Cadel does on the bike. You can dislike the rider for whatever reason you please - the shape of his jaw, his bushy eyebrows, his way with the media, his boring riding style - but don't disrespect what he does. Your comments suggest to me that you have no inkling of what kind of effort is involved, which is why I suggested you should get on your bike and give it a try.

Give a ****.
lighten up...

and that goes for the rest of you, oh-so-sensitive-cadel-defenders

b1_ said:
I'm not surprised.

Give a ****.

And now you have a severe case of ASSumeitis. Just because I don't like the way the guy races doesn't mean I don't respect him. I am fairly sure I once posted something about his dopey blue eyes though...my bad.

You really should be targeting the riders in the Tour though - have you seen the way they treat him in the bunch? He gets the hell flicked out of him constantly. Clearly he doesn't have the approval of the peleton yet.

Either way please stop making up my mind for me and putting words in my mouth - it's leads to me wasting precious keystrokes in replys because I just can't help myself taking your baiting.

Perhaps you should go and ride a col or two - it'll clear your head a bit.

yep, don't like Cadel and can't cheer for him.

But I don't wish him to be nailed for doping. Just to crack (as he will) in the Alps.

oh and b1, as klodifan put so brilliantly, lighten up, it's just a bike race, not the end of the world.

Eldron said:
Just because I don't like the way the guy races doesn't mean I don't respect him. I am fairly sure I once posted something about his dopey blue eyes though...my bad.

Well, it's either you don't respect him or you have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to cycling. If you knew what was going on you would not be bored watching Cadel.

You don't just ride off the front whenever you feel like it to entertain the crowd. You have to be smart and measure out the effort you put in in precise portions. It's not just shear physical strength that wins the tour but astute tactical and strategic thinking. If you knew what you were talking about you would not criticize Cadel for his cagey riding style, you would applaud him for his intelligence. Winning yellow is not a sprint race it's a chess match.

And he does attack. He's already attacked Kirchan in this Tour. I recall a memorable stage of the 2005 when he jumped off the front and forced Lance Armstrong to chase which ****** him off. Good stuff. Gained 4 minutes on him.

I think you should just fess-up that you don't really want Cadel to start attacking like a hero, you want him to start attacking so he cracks himself, then your favourite rider can take the win.

earth_dweller said:

But I don't wish him to be nailed for doping. Just to crack (as he will) in the Alps.

oh and b1, as klodifan put so brilliantly, lighten up, it's just a bike race, not the end of the world.

WHAT? JUST a bike race? OI!

You take that back! Take that BAAAAACK!

Oh and Evans is a wheel sucker :D

earth_dweller said:

C'mon man, I'm not gonna lighten up in a Cadel bashing thread, and definitely not while he's in yellow. Some of the reasons for the dislike is laughable. I'm having fun dishing it out to you guys, because, quite frankly, you deserve it.

b1_ said:
C'mon man, I'm not gonna lighten up in a Cadel bashing thread, and definitely not while he's in yellow. Some of the reasons for the dislike is laughable. I'm having fun dishing it out to you guys, because, quite frankly, you deserve it.
well, at least youre more entertaining then your hero! :D

b1_ said:
well you're as boring and predictable as Cadel so ciao

b1_ said:
Well, it's either you don't respect him or you have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to cycling. If you knew what was going on you would not be bored watching Cadel.

You don't just ride off the front whenever you feel like it to entertain the crowd. You have to be smart and measure out the effort you put in in precise portions. It's not just shear physical strength that wins the tour but astute tactical and strategic thinking. If you knew what you were talking about you would not criticize Cadel for his cagey riding style, you would applaud him for his intelligence. Winning yellow is not a sprint race it's a chess match.

And he does attack. He's already attacked Kirchan in this Tour. I recall a memorable stage of the 2005 when he jumped off the front and forced Lance Armstrong to chase which ****** him off. Good stuff. Gained 4 minutes on him.

I think you should just fess-up that you don't really want Cadel to start attacking like a hero, you want him to start attacking so he cracks himself, then your favourite rider can take the win.

There you go telling me what I think again...are you a psych major?

OK I admit it - I fess up - I know nothing about cycling.

I do know that it's Kirchen - not Kirchan though ;)