What is it about Crud catchers???

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by stevemtbsteve, Oct 14, 2003.

1. stevemtbsteve

stevemtbsteve New Member

I live/ ride in the Peak District in the UK, I find a crud catcher essential. Stops dirt/ mud and spray hitting me into face, so I don't fall off because I have stuff in my eyes (scary on downs) and I do not eat half the animal poo (and in the peaks occasinally people poo, it can be a ling way to the nearest toilet).

yet there seems to be a growing number of riders, particularly I have noticed on expensive unscratched full sussers, who seem to ride without them. Is it:
    - crud catchers are not cool!
    - ruins the looks of your bike
    - some folk don't ride off road enough

Most bikes in magazine tests also do not have them

If it is cosmetic, I would have to suggest you can only look so cool, even on a pricey bike, when you look like you've won a **** eating contest. Anyone have any opinions on these little bits of plastic?

Tags:

2. ireman_1

ireman_1 New Member

If you need one get one. No matter what is on your bike (or not on your bike) some mental midget somewhere is going to find fault with YOUR bike. I had never even considered one when living in Colorado, however since moving to Oregon several years ago they make a lot of damn sense and I have one that goes on and off pretty easily. I don't have it on in the summer (usually) and it hardly ever comes off in the winter/spring/fall. The new Marzocchi fender is great (if you have new marzocchis). I had a T.H.E (like everyone else I suppose) until I got my new forks and it was OK. I've heard there are other better fenders out there, but I only have experience with the two listed above. Use one bro, especially if it will save you from killing yourself! Have fun.

K.

3. randall0069

randall0069 New Member

Hi. I use El Cheapo no name mud / etc. guards that I bought for $20 for the pair at a Canadian Tire store in Montreal, QC. They keep the gunk off you and the bike as well as any other more expensive ones. Plus, they go on and off really easy and most importantly they stay on while riding! So use them and don't neccessarily pay big bucks for them.

On another note, I was wondering what sort of clothing you guys wear for cold-weather rides?

4. stevemtbsteve

stevemtbsteve New Member

On another note, I was wondering what sort of clothing you guys wear for cold-weather rides? [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies, I do use a crud catcher and have done for years, I guess I was just concerned/ or felt I had noticed a trend in the UK for not using them:)

For general winter ride, ie cold, wet, muddy, windy with some rain; I just where some bib tihgts with a wind stopper layer (took a tip from a roadie), waterproof socks/ or warm walking socks if it is not wet/ frozen over. I where some baggy shorts over my lycra (but this is just vanity). on top ovet the bib tights just a base layer and mid layer fleese, and a water proof over if needed(if its not raining I just get sweaty in a shell).

In serious cold, full on uk driving wind/ rain/ snow etc, as above but also I have some neoprene over-shoes (look a bit geeky but do keep out the worst of the c rap and wind), fleese gillet over my mid layer, waterproof shell, balaclava under helmet, and proper waterproof warm gloves (you lose some sensitivity on your controls, but you also do if your hands are freezing)
    Cheers
    Steve

5. devon inbred

devon inbred New Member

i use a pair (front and rear) on my winter/hack bike, never remove them come rain or shine.
    During winter i have a THE fender for my main bike, absolute must being a glasses wearer.

6. martin-surrey

martin-surrey New Member

7. jaz

jaz New Member

Im from the UK and I find a crud catcher essential as mud (or worse) in your mouth/eyes aint good when your going full pelt, mines attached with a strip of velcro stuck on the underside of the frame and the catcher so its easy to rip off when its dry and I found using cable ties to hold it on was scratching my nice paint job ;)

8. DVD Plaza

DVD Plaza New Member

It's not just the UK, they're not cool in Australia either - though reflectors on your wheels are the worst :)

9. gwhunt23

gwhunt23 New Member

I don't use crud catchers because:

I wear glasses, don't need to worry about stuff hitting me in my eyes
    Don't look cool :rolleyes:
    Don't ride off road much when its muddy, and I have never ridden through poo before

10. rider

rider New Member

Crud catchers are so ineficient. Have you thought about that aspect of things!
    It's better to fit a shock guard which is more efficient at stoping dirt thrown up by the front wheel even as your tun.
    I use a ShockBoard. It's light and it can be taken off/put on in seconds.

So yeah, crud catchers ain't cool man!

11. mastersong

mastersong New Member

i've used a crud catcher for years on my hardtail and still do. Unfortunately, it wouldn't fit my newer monocoque fame so I invested in some shockboards instead. Performance of both is the same - they both stop the mud and cut down on the need to clean your jacket after a winter ride.

I have to say for looks I prefer the crud catcher - I feel a bit of a wannabe motorcrosser with the shockboard on but the crud catcher is much more subtle - its amazing that such a small piece of plastic can stop so much mud.

As for cool - I'm neutral on that, they do their job when you need them but if I've got the option (not likely for a few months now), I'd rather not have any plastic strapped to my bike.