What is Lance Armstrong's Game?

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
How he has retired from competitive cycling, what will he do now?

He already sees himself as a 'Celebrity' and champion of the down trodden so what door is opening infront of him?

A UN ambassador?
A hollywood Actor?
A chat show host?
Politician Arnie style?

no matter where the cameras/newpapers are pointing, youre guarenteed to spot Armstrong skulking in the background hoping to further his career.

it is amazing where a career in cycling leads you...

MountainPro said:
He hasn't retired from competitive cycling so much as racing. He's still part owner of Team Discovery. With his experience and tactical ability I wouldn't be surprised to see him making the transition to team director.

MountainPro said:

He already sees himself as a 'Celebrity' and champion of the down trodden so what door is opening infront of him?

A UN ambassador?
A hollywood Actor?
A chat show host?
Politician Arnie style?

no matter where the cameras/newpapers are pointing, youre guarenteed to spot Armstrong skulking in the background hoping to further his career.

Race organizer,team owner,chairman cancer research......president of France and Bristol Myers Pharmaceuticals!

MountainPro said:

A UN ambassador?
A hollywood Actor?
A chat show host?
Politician Arnie style?

I imagine anything short of completely disappearing from public view would be seen as skulking by some. Of course if he did disappear those same folks would be accusing him of hiding.

why is he buzzing about Christpher Reeve's family?

its a publicity stunt...

"i am there for you"

wtf?

MountainPro said:
why is he buzzing about Christpher Reeve's family?

its a publicity stunt...

"i am there for you"

wtf?

I don't believe so,as he could get attention in other ways. He of course tries to draw attention to the effort with cancer research and treatment.
The more his visibility,the more influence he has.
If you see this as a publicity, then so be it, but no matter what you think of him he has done a lot for the fight against cancer and I believe his motives are honorable.
I think he just indentifies with cancer and it's victims like I identify with crappy cyclists, being one myself.

The Reeves woman and Armstrong are/were involved with cancer fundraising. In this country Lance is noted more for his survival of cancer and transition to cycling then the his involvment in the sport of cycling. Most casual cyclists in this country, other then competitive ones do not have a clue who Levi, Landis, or George is.
Cycling is not considered even a second rate sport in America. I wish this was different, but it's not.
Say what you want, but Lance is dedicated to the cancer world. As a humanitarian, he is heads up over all other professional cyclists.
He is also heavily involved in the professional cycling world as a part owner of a very successful cycling team.
His yellow wristbands may have been the most successful fundraiser by an athlete ever. The millions he raised for cancer will never be forgotten.

I just wonder what his ultimate motive is.

pure selfless giving and fundraising?

i just think he is gearing himself up for a career in showbusiness.

i know what you mean about cycling and America. I was there during the entire TDF 2005. Tyring to get any news was impossible...i had to log onto Eurosport.com but i would much rather have seen live coverage on the telly.

Eurosport is what I get to stay current with the live race happenings. You guys have it lucky to have live TV.... We had it OK the past few years with Lance winning the TDF, but the rest of cycling is really thin.
In the state I live in , we have this huge "across the state ride" every year. 2 years ago Lemond showed up to promote something .... Most people did not have a clue who he was.
Soccer is getting a foothold here in the states with the Mexicans and Bosnians moving here and staying. Rugby has a cult following on college campuses.
At the "Weekend warrior" level of racing we do have a small but dedicated bunch of cyclists. And we have a few world class velodromes in the states. And we do have a dedicated bunch of cyclists that log decent miles but do not compete.

wolfix said:
The Reeves woman and Armstrong are/were involved with cancer fundraising. In this country Lance is noted more for his survival of cancer and transition to cycling then the his involvment in the sport of cycling. Most casual cyclists in this country, other then competitive ones do not have a clue who Levi, Landis, or George is.
Cycling is not considered even a second rate sport in America. I wish this was different, but it's not.
Say what you want, but Lance is dedicated to the cancer world. As a humanitarian, he is heads up over all other professional cyclists.
He is also heavily involved in the professional cycling world as a part owner of a very successful cycling team.
His yellow wristbands may have been the most successful fundraiser by an athlete ever. The millions he raised for cancer will never be forgotten.

Maybe you have some good points but I'm not going to read your stupid post because it is almost illegible thanks to your choice of font.

Exactly what is wrong with it?? ...... It comes out very clear on this end.

MountainPro said:
I just wonder what his ultimate motive is.

pure selfless giving and fundraising?

i just think he is gearing himself up for a career in showbusiness.

i know what you mean about cycling and America. I was there during the entire TDF 2005. Tyring to get any news was impossible...i had to log onto Eurosport.com but i would much rather have seen live coverage on the telly.

What's your motive? Let's lay your life open to rumor hags and petty pooftahs.

The guy is supporting a kid whose lost his entire family. They guy is the one that started a giant cancer charity. He understands something about the ordeal and what the kid is going through.

What the hell have you done? Oh sure you're able to spew vitriol anytime key names come up, but is there anything that you actually do for society other than use up O2? I mean really, if your seat is so pure and so golden as to render all your judgements law, please then let us know what your motives are?

I don't care what a guy's done in sport. It doesn't matter. But when a guy has raised as much money as Armstrong has and has done as much as he has to raise cancer awareness.....well, petty pooftahs like you have a long way to go before you get even close.

Go through the cancer thing with a friend or family, and then come back and spew like you do now. I've been through and am going through it. People like you are an insult to well meaning people anywhere and everywhere.

get a ferking life..

i live near to a hospice for children who die of cancer every other week...

where the ferk is Mr Celebrity?

oh sorry, not famous enough for you..

i do apologise.

alienator said:
What's your motive? Let's lay your life open to rumor hags and petty pooftahs.

The guy is supporting a kid whose lost his entire family. They guy is the one that started a giant cancer charity. He understands something about the ordeal and what the kid is going through.

MountainPro said:
get a ferking life..

i live near to a hospice for children who die of cancer every other week...

where the ferk is Mr Celebrity?

oh sorry, not famous enough for you..

i do apologise.

Yeah, and what do you do about it? I mean, what do you do besides whine? Really, what have you done for society? And do you even have any clue how many cancer facilities and hospices there are around the world, let alone the US? No one could live long enough to visit them all. Of course, you wouldn't bother. And I doubt the people at that hospice would have much patience for your carping.

So again. One person has raised hundreds of millions, if not more, dollars for cancer research, and is still heavily involved, on a personal level, with said fund raising. Another person, sits in front of his lonely CRT in the UK and whines about someone he doesn't know, except from tabloid journalism.

I can see why you don't endeavor to do anything for people or society as a whole: what with the difficulty you have with objectivity and critical thought, it's prolly all you can do to get safely out your door.

Really, what do you offer anyone besides vitriol, spray, uninformed comment, petty jealousy, and rumor mongering? I imagine it's getting tougher each day for you to rationalize your continued existence, what with the little you bring to humanity.

Gentlemen, please, we must keep our composure and remember our true purpose for being here on this forum.

alienator said:
Yeah, and what do you do about it? I mean, what do you do besides whine? Really, what have you done for society? And do you even have any clue how many cancer facilities and hospices there are around the world, let alone the US? No one could live long enough to visit them all. Of course, you wouldn't bother. And I doubt the people at that hospice would have much patience for your carping.

So again. One person has raised hundreds of millions, if not more, dollars for cancer research, and is still heavily involved, on a personal level, with said fund raising. Another person, sits in front of his lonely CRT in the UK and whines about someone he doesn't know, except from tabloid journalism.

I can see why you don't endeavor to do anything for people or society as a whole: what with the difficulty you have with objectivity and critical thought, it's prolly all you can do to get safely out your door.

Really, what do you offer anyone besides vitriol, spray, uninformed comment, petty jealousy, and rumor mongering? I imagine it's getting tougher each day for you to rationalize your continued existence, what with the little you bring to humanity.

Hey, you've made your point defending Armstrong.

I suggest that you cool down.
Ok?

limerickman said:
Hey, you've made your point defending Armstrong.

I suggest that you cool down.
Ok?

Sure, as soon as people stow their attitudes. You included. I don't think Armstrong's cancer work needs defending; however, the smarmy comments from your ilk deserve response. Did you suggest anyone calm down when the "American" comments were made in the Tyler Hamilton thread? No, you didn't. Did you pack enough hypocrisy in your baggage?

It is funny how in this day and age no one can achieve anything of any notoriety and and have it just be so. Everyone asks: Where are the drugs, Where is the money, Who do they know...etc. I for one am clinging to the fact that Lance is Truely Genuine in both his accomplishments and his sincerity and I have seen NOTHING to the contrary despite numerous efforts to dis-credit him.

Surely, Pro, not everything is a conspriacy?