WHAT IS "RACING HEART" CONDITION CALLED?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Frank Smith, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Frank Smith

    Frank Smith Guest

    Hello, I have a friend who has a heart problem. He will just start breathing real heavy for no
    reason, and his heart will just start beating faster. He cannot suck in enough air it seems.

    He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests, including a sonagram of his heart, ekg and even a ct
    scan and a treadmill test. Everything came out fine, and the flow volumes and the like show his
    heart is using oxygen just fine etc. Everything came back on all the tests as ok.

    Except he still has the problem. Has anyone ever heard of such a condition? I was wondering what the
    medical name for it is. What kinds of medications are commonly given for such things? beta blockers?

    Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
     
    Tags:


  2. frank smith wrote:

    > Hello, I have a friend who has a heart problem. He will just start breathing real heavy for no
    > reason, and his heart will just start beating faster. He cannot suck in enough air it seems.
    >
    > He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests, including a sonagram of his heart, ekg and even a
    > ct scan and a treadmill test. Everything came out fine, and the flow volumes and the like show his
    > heart is using oxygen just fine etc. Everything came back on all the tests as ok.
    >
    > Except he still has the problem. Has anyone ever heard of such a condition?

    We call it "palpitations."

    > I was wondering what the medical name for it is. What kinds of medications are commonly given for
    > such things? beta blockers?
    >

    Depends on the cause of the palpitations.

    >
    > Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    Would suggest that your friend seek a referral to a cardiologist.

    Servant to the humblest person in the universe,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

    **
    Who is the humblest person in the universe?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1BB12C67

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867
     
  3. Pete C.

    Pete C. Guest

    [email protected] (frank smith) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello, I have a friend who has a heart problem. He will just start breathing real heavy for no
    > reason, and his heart will just start beating faster. He cannot suck in enough air it seems.
    >
    > He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests, including a sonagram of his heart, ekg and even a
    > ct scan and a treadmill test. Everything came out fine, and the flow volumes and the like show his
    > heart is using oxygen just fine etc. Everything came back on all the tests as ok.
    >
    > Except he still has the problem. Has anyone ever heard of such a condition? I was wondering what
    > the medical name for it is. What kinds of medications are commonly given for such things? beta
    > blockers?
    >
    > Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    can you say "panic attack" ?
     
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 4:15:33 -0500, frank smith wrote
    (in message <[email protected]>):

    > Hello, I have a friend who has a heart problem. He will just start breathing real heavy for no
    > reason, and his heart will just start beating faster. He cannot suck in enough air it seems.
    >
    > He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests, including a sonagram of his heart, ekg and even a
    > ct scan and a treadmill test. Everything came out fine, and the flow volumes and the like show his
    > heart is using oxygen just fine etc. Everything came back on all the tests as ok.
    >
    > Except he still has the problem. Has anyone ever heard of such a condition? I was wondering what
    > the medical name for it is. What kinds of medications are commonly given for such things? beta
    > blockers?
    >
    > Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    Perhaps it is an acute allergic reaction. The gasping for breath comes from the air passages
    swelling up.

    I had similar symptoms in my late teens, but they were accompanied by giant hives. It would pass
    after 45 minutes or so. Very frightening.

    --
    Steve

    Weeding the Lord's Vineyards Since 2003
     
  5. Frank Smith

    Frank Smith Guest

    Thankyou for answering this question. He has tried to see a cardiologist, but because the ct scan,
    ekg etc. found no problems, he cannot get a referral.

    He condition seems unusual to me, because there are times when it is almost like he has no energy at
    all, and can barely function at all.

    Have you ever heard of such a condition? Is fatigue common with palpitations? Thanks again.

    > > Hello, I have a friend who has a heart problem. He will just start breathing real heavy for no
    > > reason, and his heart will just start beating faster. He cannot suck in enough air it seems.
    > >
    > > He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests, including a sonagram of his heart, ekg and even
    > > a ct scan and a treadmill test. Everything came out fine, and the flow volumes and the like show
    > > his heart is using oxygen just fine etc. Everything came back on all the tests as ok.
    > >
    > > Except he still has the problem. Has anyone ever heard of such a condition?
    >
    > We call it "palpitations."
    >
    > > I was wondering what the medical name for it is. What kinds of medications are commonly given
    > > for such things? beta blockers?
    > >
    >
    > Depends on the cause of the palpitations.
    >
    > >
    > > Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    >
    > Would suggest that your friend seek a referral to a cardiologist.
    >
    >
    > Servant to the humblest person in the universe,
    >
    > Andrew
     
  6. Annia

    Annia Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > frank smith wrote:
    >
    > > Hello, I have a friend who has a heart problem. He will just start breathing real heavy for no
    > > reason, and his heart will just start beating faster. He cannot suck in enough air it seems.
    > >
    > > He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests, including a sonagram of his heart, ekg and even
    > > a ct scan and a treadmill test. Everything came out fine, and the flow volumes and the like show
    > > his heart is using oxygen just fine etc. Everything came back on all the tests as ok.
    > >
    > > Except he still has the problem. Has anyone ever heard of such a condition?
    >
    > We call it "palpitations."

    Oh no! =O =( Wait, can one also refer to a single "skipped beat" as a "palpitation"? I really hope
    so because during my holter test, I noted those as "palps" on the diary sheet ...but I didn't mean
    that I was having an actual episode of tachy! I hope they didn't get the wrong idea ...they probably
    think that I'm delusional now. ;) =) Thanks.

    Sincerely, Annia =)

    >
    > > I was wondering what the medical name for it is. What kinds of medications are commonly given
    > > for such things? beta blockers?
    > >
    >
    > Depends on the cause of the palpitations.

    > >
    > > Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    >
    > Would suggest that your friend seek a referral to a cardiologist.
    >
    >
    > Servant to the humblest person in the universe,
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > --
    > Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD Board-Certified Cardiologist http://www.heartmdphd.com/
    >
    > ** Who is the humblest person in the universe? http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557
    >
    > What is all this about? http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1BB12C67
    >
    > Is this spam? http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867
     
  7. Eric

    Eric Guest

    frank smith wrote:

    > Thankyou for answering this question. He has tried to see a cardiologist, but because the ct scan,
    > ekg etc. found no problems, he cannot get a referral.
    >
    > He condition seems unusual to me, because there are times when it is almost like he has no energy
    > at all, and can barely function at all.
    >
    > Have you ever heard of such a condition? Is fatigue common with palpitations? Thanks again.
    >

    Maybe his GP can set him up with an event recorder.
     
  8. Annia wrote:

    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > frank smith wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello, I have a friend who has a heart problem. He will just start breathing real heavy for no
    > > > reason, and his heart will just start beating faster. He cannot suck in enough air it seems.
    > > >
    > > > He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests, including a sonagram of his heart, ekg and
    > > > even a ct scan and a treadmill test. Everything came out fine, and the flow volumes and
    > > > the like show his heart is using oxygen just fine etc. Everything came back on all the
    > > > tests as ok.
    > > >
    > > > Except he still has the problem. Has anyone ever heard of such a condition?
    > >
    > > We call it "palpitations."
    >
    > Oh no! =O =( Wait, can one also refer to a single "skipped beat" as a "palpitation"?

    One can.

    > I really hope so because during my holter test, I noted those as "palps" on the diary sheet
    > ...but I didn't mean that I was having an actual episode of tachy! I hope they didn't get the
    > wrong idea ...they probably think that I'm delusional now. ;) =)

    Would suggest you call them to clarify it.

    >
    > Thanks.

    You're welcome, Annia.

    Servant to the humblest person in the universe,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

    **
    Who is the humblest person in the universe?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1BB12C67

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867
     
  9. frank smith wrote:

    > Thankyou for answering this question. He has tried to see a cardiologist, but because the ct scan,
    > ekg etc. found no problems, he cannot get a referral.
    >

    Would suggest your friend seek a second opinion from someone who would reconsider the need for
    a referral.

    >
    > He condition seems unusual to me, because there are times when it is almost like he has no energy
    > at all, and can barely function at all.
    >
    > Have you ever heard of such a condition? Is fatigue common with palpitations?

    It can be associated with it.

    > Thanks again.
    >

    You are welcome.

    Servant to the humblest person in the universe,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

    **
    Who is the humblest person in the universe?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1BB12C67

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867
     
  10. Annia

    Annia Guest

    [email protected] (Pete C.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (frank smith) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hello, I have a friend who has a heart problem. He will just start breathing real heavy for no
    > > reason, and his heart will just start beating faster. He cannot suck in enough air it seems.
    > >
    > > He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests, including a sonagram of his heart, ekg and even
    > > a ct scan and a treadmill test. Everything came out fine, and the flow volumes and the like show
    > > his heart is using oxygen just fine etc. Everything came back on all the tests as ok.
    > >
    > > Except he still has the problem. Has anyone ever heard of such a condition? I was wondering what
    > > the medical name for it is. What kinds of medications are commonly given for such things? beta
    > > blockers?
    > >
    > > Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    >
    >
    > can you say "panic attack" ?

    Just because nothing was found on those tests doesn't mean that he's having panic attacks. I have
    been going through a few of the standard tests for seven years, and none of them have ever revealed
    any problems. That doesn't mean that there is no problem ... it just hasn't been "caught" yet. I
    finally pushed my doctor into referring me to a cardiologist (not literally, of course) ..I suggest
    this person do the same.

    Sincerely, Annia
     
  11. Annia

    Annia Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Annia wrote:
    >
    > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > frank smith wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Hello, I have a friend who has a heart problem. He will just start breathing real heavy for
    > > > > no reason, and his heart will just start beating faster. He cannot suck in enough air it
    > > > > seems.
    > > > >
    > > > > He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests, including a sonagram of his heart, ekg and
    > > > > even a ct scan and a treadmill test. Everything came out fine, and the flow volumes and the
    > > > > like show his heart is using oxygen just fine etc. Everything came back on all the tests as
    > > > > ok.
    > > > >
    > > > > Except he still has the problem. Has anyone ever heard of such a condition?
    > > >
    > > > We call it "palpitations."
    > >
    > > Oh no! =O =( Wait, can one also refer to a single "skipped beat" as a "palpitation"?
    >
    > One can.

    Oh good. =) =) =) =)

    >
    > > I really hope so because during my holter test, I noted those as "palps" on the diary sheet
    > > ...but I didn't mean that I was having an actual episode of tachy! I hope they didn't get the
    > > wrong idea ...they probably think that I'm delusional now. ;) =)
    >
    > Would suggest you call them to clarify it.

    Sigh. I don't know ...I'm a bit hesitant ... Thanks for the suggestion though...

    Sincerely, Annia =)
     
  12. Annia wrote:
    >
    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Annia wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > > frank smith wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > > > Hello, I have a friend who has a heart problem. He will just start breathing real heavy
    > > > > > for no reason, and his heart will just start beating faster. He cannot suck in enough air
    > > > > > it seems.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests, including a sonagram of his heart, ekg and
    > > > > > even a ct scan and a treadmill test. Everything came out fine, and the flow volumes and
    > > > > > the like show his heart is using oxygen just fine etc. Everything came back on all the
    > > > > > tests as ok.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Except he still has the problem. Has anyone ever heard of such a condition?
    > > > >
    > > > > We call it "palpitations."
    > > >
    > > > Oh no! =O =( Wait, can one also refer to a single "skipped beat" as a "palpitation"?
    > >
    > > One can.
    >
    > Oh good. =) =) =) =)
    >
    > >
    > > > I really hope so because during my holter test, I noted those as "palps" on the diary sheet
    > > > ...but I didn't mean that I was having an actual episode of tachy! I hope they didn't get the
    > > > wrong idea ...they probably think that I'm delusional now. ;) =)
    > >
    > > Would suggest you call them to clarify it.
    >
    > Sigh. I don't know ...I'm a bit hesitant ...

    May God give you the strength and courage to be assertive, in Christ's name.

    > Thanks for the suggestion though...

    You are welcome, Annia.

    Servant to the humblest person in the universe,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

    **
    Who is the humblest person in the universe?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?J31722867

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867
     
  13. Mike \

    Mike \ Guest

    So many sick patients have been dismissed as having panic disorder. Probably 90% of those diagnosed
    with "panicv disorder" have something else caausing these so-called "panic attacks".

    Any doctor that diagnoses panic disorder should be immediately disbarred from practice. There really
    is no such thing.

    The palpitations and difficulty breathing are probably caused by blood pressure drops.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    --
    To reply via email remove the X's from my email address:
    [email protected]

    "Pete C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (frank smith) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hello, I have a friend who has a heart problem.
    > > He will just start breathing real heavy for no
    > > reason, and his heart will just start beating
    > > faster. He cannot suck in enough air it seems.
    > >
    > > He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests,
    > > including a sonagram of his heart, ekg and even
    > > a ct scan and a treadmill test. Everything came
    > > out fine, and the flow volumes and the like show
    > > his heart is using oxygen just fine etc. Everything
    > > came back on all the tests as ok.
    > >
    > > Except he still has the problem. Has anyone ever
    > > heard of such a condition? I was wondering what
    > > the medical name for it is. What kinds of medications
    > > are commonly given for such things? beta blockers?
    > >
    > > Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    >
    >
    > can you say "panic attack" ?
     
  14. Mike \

    Mike \ Guest

    Sounds like an autonomic nervous system disease. Dysautonomia can be induced by blood pressure
    drops, allergic reactions, as well as a host of other diseases. Usually, the people are just
    dismissed as anxious.

    Go to http://www.ndrf.org for more info

    Thanks,

    Mike
    --
    To reply via email remove the X's from my email address:
    [email protected]

    "frank smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thankyou for answering this question. He has tried to
    > see a cardiologist, but because the ct scan, ekg etc.
    > found no problems, he cannot get a referral.
    >
    > He condition seems unusual to me, because there
    > are times when it is almost like he has no energy
    > at all, and can barely function at all.
    >
    > Have you ever heard of such a condition? Is fatigue
    > common with palpitations? Thanks again.
    >
    >
    >
    > > > Hello, I have a friend who has a heart problem.
    > > > He will just start breathing real heavy for no
    > > > reason, and his heart will just start beating
    > > > faster. He cannot suck in enough air it seems.
    > > >
    > > > He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests,
    > > > including a sonagram of his heart, ekg and even
    > > > a ct scan and a treadmill test. Everything came
    > > > out fine, and the flow volumes and the like show
    > > > his heart is using oxygen just fine etc. Everything
    > > > came back on all the tests as ok.
    > > >
    > > > Except he still has the problem. Has anyone ever
    > > > heard of such a condition?
    > >
    > > We call it "palpitations."
    > >
    > > > I was wondering what
    > > > the medical name for it is. What kinds of medications
    > > > are commonly given for such things? beta blockers?
    > > >
    > >
    > > Depends on the cause of the palpitations.
    > >
    > > >
    > > > Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    > >
    > > Would suggest that your friend seek a referral to a cardiologist.
    > >
    > >
    > > Servant to the humblest person in the universe,
    > >
    > > Andrew
     
  15. Carol T

    Carol T Guest

    [email protected] (frank smith) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    >>>>>>>>> He has been to a doctor, and had medical tests,<<<<<<<<<

    Were his thyroid function tests OK?

    Carol T
     
Loading...