General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

What is rest?

Started by Bear G · · Last activity · 47 posts · 1,358 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 October 2004
Last activity
13 October 2004
Original author
Bear G
Posts
47
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,358
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 47
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bear G <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<J8Dad.244117$3l3.137519@attbi_s03>...

    Quoted message said:

    but what is rest?

    Read one of Realbitchy, or Freesepops* posts, about 5 to 10 seconds
    into it you'll lose consciousness (already acheived with their eyes
    wide open by many posters here) after you wake up you'll feel
    "rested". That's rest.

    * Freese is an old fart, hence the word "pop" after his name. From now
    on he'll be known as "Freesepop".

  2. "Bear G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:J8Dad.244117$3l3.137519@attbi_s03...

    Quoted message said:

    I know I need to go into a rest cycle, but what is rest?

    Define the perfect mate or the ideal shoe.

    Quoted message said:

    One of our coaches suggested skipping running entirely for about a
    month, but I knew that if I did that I wouldn't resume running until
    next spring.

    It's reletive. I think the notion about taking off a month comes from
    the Kenyan training camp. If you feel you train that hard all year or
    are that fast then take the month off. From the give a rats butt I go
    from 50ish miles of high quality to about 20-25 miles of easy junk for
    about 3 weeks. I loose a little edge but the rest is incredible please
    all the little aches and pains seem to go away and it doesn't take much
    time to ramp back up. Then I build back slowly over the winter with just
    base miles and then hills(no speed). I don't race until March so I can
    concentrate on base and power.

    Quoted message said:


    Or is this a moot point as winter approaches? I know you guys run
    through 4' snow drifts wearing nothing but shorts, sports bras (Dot)
    and smiles, but I'm a wimp and expect storms to play havoc on my
    schedule.

    In the NE, if I can drive to start of the run, I run. There is always,
    gulp, a treadmill.. 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    The alternative is to plan to do all of my runs on the street with
    trail runs as a pleasant surprise.

    Then I take it your storms are rain? Where I live you can only get on
    the trails with snowshoes, skis or crampons. It's roads or nothing.

    Quoted message said:

    I was planning to shift to street running anyway (in preparation for a
    street marathon) but was hoping to shift about 10%/month from trail to
    asphalt. That is, I'm currently about 30/70 (asphalt/trail) and would
    go to 40/60, 50/50, etc. in November and December.

    Hook up with other folks if possible. One of the main reasons I host
    winter runs is to get my sorry ass out the door in winter. I have about
    12 regulars and another 10 that come when they receive a
    get-out-of-jail-free card. Knowing others are suffering with you
    provides some strong inspiration.

    -DF

  3. << Define the perfect mate or the ideal shoe. >>

    sneakypoo

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  4. << In the NE, if I can drive to start of the run, I run. There is always,
    gulp, a treadmill.. 🙂 >>

    3rd crosses

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  5. corn puffs, puffie

    On 11 Oct 2004 21:50:23 -0700, [email hidden] (MWL)

    Quoted message said:

    X-No-Archive: yes
    Bear G <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<J8Dad.244117$3l3.137519@attbi_s03>...

    Quoted message said:

    I know I need to go into a rest cycle, but what is rest?

    Rest is what you do on Columbus Day.
    Before and after you come back from all those great shopping deals.

    Praise be to Columbus who made all this possible!!
    Imagine if it were for those natives, we would
    still be eating corn instead of getting all
    these sweet deals.

    http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article7055.htm

    MWL

    --------
    Can't wait till Happy Thanksgiving Day.

  6. << corn puffs, puffie >>

    Breakfast time ~

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  7. << << corn puffs, puffie >>

    Breakfast time ~ >>

    Or defer,
    Food,
    Til lunch?
    Roll over,
    Not done
    With
    You...

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  8. splat

    On 12 Oct 2004 11:59:30 GMT, [email hidden] (Brilliant One)

    Quoted message said:

    << << corn puffs, puffie >>

    Breakfast time ~ >>

    Or defer,
    Food,
    Til lunch?
    Roll over,
    Not done
    With
    You...

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  9. << splat >>

    Good shot!

    *smile*

    [Snap]

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  10. Want a facial?

    On 12 Oct 2004 12:42:32 GMT, [email hidden] (Brilliant One)

    Quoted message said:

    << splat >>

    Good shot!

    *smile*

    [Snap]

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  11. or a Pearl Necklace?

    On 12 Oct 2004 12:42:32 GMT, [email hidden] (Brilliant One)

    Quoted message said:

    << splat >>

    Good shot!

    *smile*

    [Snap]

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  12. << Want a facial?

    Quoted message said:

    << splat >> >>

    stick it yr krspy krem

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  13. << or a Pearl Necklace? >>

    Yes, or say,
    Olmstead's emerald
    Necklace...

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  14. Want sprinkles on your kk?

    On 12 Oct 2004 12:53:15 GMT, [email hidden] (Brilliant One)

    Quoted message said:

    << Want a facial?

    Quoted message said:

    << splat >> >>

    stick it yr krspy krem

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  15. A gusher

    On 12 Oct 2004 12:53:57 GMT, [email hidden] (Brilliant One)

    Quoted message said:

    << or a Pearl Necklace? >>

    Yes, or say,
    Olmstead's emerald
    Necklace...

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  16. Quoted message said:

    know I need to go into a rest cycle, but what is rest? One of
    our coaches suggested skipping running entirely for about a month,
    but I knew that if I did that I wouldn't resume running until next
    spring.

    Here's an article with one of the hottest coaches in the US--Brad Hadson of
    Boulder--saying that your coach is right. If you have trained hard, your
    endocrine system and your ability to produce aerobic enzymes need time to
    recover (that's the theory, anyway).

    http://rockymountainsports.com/story.cfm?story_id=6486&departmentID=4&publ
    icationID=21

    I have doubts about taking more than 4 weeks off (many Kenyans go away for 2
    months), but 2-4 weeks seems about right to me. I will take 3 weeks off (no
    running) but I hit the weights hard during this period.

    Lyndon
    "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach
    Brooks Johnson

  17. Bear G said:

    I know I need to go into a rest cycle, but what is rest? One of
    our coaches suggested skipping running entirely for about a month,
    but I knew that if I did that I wouldn't resume running until next
    spring.

    Maybe something like :
    - 1 week of 30'-40' very easy runs, a bit like a taper week (3 runs max)
    - 2 weeks of *complete* rest from running (bike, swim, take saunas,
    hamams, jacuzzis, get massaged, get plastered whatever :-)
    - 1 week like first week with maybe an 1h-1h15m "long run" on Sunday

    This is close to what I was supposed to do as a full rest cycle, once
    per year, but never actually did one during my first 4 years of running.

    And I've been paying for it more or less for a year now. Things do catch
    up on you real sloooooooow and my doctor just told me to stop completely
    for a month cos I'm completely [censored].

  18. Dot said:

    IIRC, you're in Colorado which has mostly dry snow, I think. You
    shouldn't get the ice like we get.

    The Denver-Boulder metro area has brown winters. We get a lot of
    snow, but the clear sunny days and human activity usually melts it
    within a few days. The trails in the mountain park tend to remain
    snowpacked and muddy/icy into spring because of the tree cover and
    slightly higher altitude, the access and plains trails are just
    muddy. (Boulder is around 5300', our mountain parks range from
    5500' to over 8000'.)

    I've been thinking about what really concerns me and I believe
    it's the tendency of the weather to run on a seven day cycle. If
    we have bad weather on Friday afternoon (which will make Saturday
    and to a lesser extend Sunday runs a mess) we'll probably have bad
    weather on Friday afternoons for a month. I can drop to inferior
    runs - at the worst case the bike path system is routinely plowed
    - but I can't do my longest runs on concrete without messing up my
    knees.

    Quoted message said:

    Snowshoe running should allow you to run on trails most of the winter.

    I actually considered that last year but the pads required to
    float my weight were impractical. Things should be better this
    year, but I'll still need fairly large pads.

    On the other hand the close-in trails are so heavily used I could
    probably count on staying on packed snow so I could use smaller
    pads. I've certainly gone out with regular hiking boots (granted
    size 13 boots) in the spring.

    Quoted message said:

    If it gets really icy in Jan or Feb, I used to get a 30-day fitness
    center membership and do machines (no free weights there) for PT and the
    versaclimber.

    I'm already trying to line up a personal trainer for strength
    training so I guess I could plan to maintain my base over the
    winter, but going long when the opportunity presents itself.

    Quoted message said:

    Treadmills (all 2 of them) usually had lines and were
    limited 20 min but I'd try to get on one once a week and run hard.

    Before January 1st, and after mid-March, I can usually get to my
    gym at a time when I can run on a treadmill for hours without
    getting too much grief. But all of the chains oversell
    memberships to the New Year resolution crowd and it's a nightmare
    in January and February.

    On the other hand I recently learned that I can get a day pass to
    a private health club about one mile away (vs. 20 miles for
    Bally's) for $12/day, and they said that there's rarely a problem
    getting on the cardio machines. That's not unreasonable, esp. if
    I can piggyback on a PT session (which includes a day pass).

    I also own a lifecycle stationary bike, but I've promised it to a
    very overweight friend. :-)

  19. Doug Freese said:

    "Bear G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:J8Dad.244117$3l3.137519@attbi_s03...

    It's relative. I think the notion about taking off a month comes from
    the Kenyan training camp. If you feel you train that hard all year or
    are that fast then take the month off. From the give a rats butt I go
    from 50ish miles of high quality to about 20-25 miles of easy junk for
    about 3 weeks.

    My mileage was low but I was right against my limits for most of
    the year, enough to develop some aches that took weeks to go away.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The alternative is to plan to do all of my runs on the street with
    trail runs as a pleasant surprise.

    Then I take it your storms are rain? Where I live you can only get on
    the trails with snowshoes, skis or crampons. It's roads or nothing.

    It's snow, but on the flatland it's sunny enough that the snow
    usually melts within a few days. Unfortunately it's also cold
    enough that the mud takes a long time to dry out so several heavy
    snowstorms can create a muddy mess.

    In the lower mountains it stays snowpacked and icy/muddy,
    depending on sun exposure. Of course the higher mountains have
    the best skiing conditions in the world. :-)

    (Seriously, I usually can't hike in Indian Peaks Wilderness Area
    until June... and by now the trails are usually snowpacked again.)

    Quoted message said:

    Hook up with other folks if possible. One of the main reasons I host
    winter runs is to get my sorry ass out the door in winter.

    One of the running stores sponsors a Sunday morning run, but I
    don't know if they go long. I really should check them out but BF
    met on Saturday mornings and I've maintained that schedule.

  20. Lyndon said:

    http://rockymountainsports.com/story.cfm?story_id=6486&departmentID=4&publ
    icationID=21

    Thanks. I noticed that towards the bottom he wrote:

    (begin quote)

    Ability aside, Hudson believes all athletes will benefit from some
    type of recovery period, whether they’re putting in the mileage
    and intensity to build a competitive season, or setting more
    modest goals, like fitness and weight loss or simply finishing the
    Bolder Boulder.

    For fitness runners, Hudson says, “A few days off on a weekly
    basis can be adequate, but you really can run all year,” while the
    competitive high school and college runner, who essentially has
    two seasons (cross-country in the fall and track in the summer)
    would be better off with two 2-week breaks per year, one following
    each competitive season.

    (end quote)

    I've been taking three days off each week and cut way back on
    intensity and duration for a few weeks after the marathon, so
    maybe that's enough. I'll also keep my eyes open for an
    opportunity to take some serious downtime in the next few months.

    But right now I feel it's important to continue running as the
    weather cools. If I take a few weeks off now it will always feel
    "too cold" to run in the morning. But I can handle the temps
    dropping 5F/week if I'm out there several times every week.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.