what is so good about fat tires?!(poll)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by umberto, Oct 12, 2003.

?

what size tires u got?

1. 1.9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1.95

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. 2.0

20 vote(s)
    22.5%
  4. 2.24

45 vote(s)
    50.6%
  5. 2.4

19 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. moparchris

moparchris New Member

i have a set of 1.95's (cheap kendas - dunno what theyre called), a couple of sets of 2.1's (mythos f&r pair and some geax mezcal) and 2.3 (cant remeber what theyre called but theyre michelin) mud tyres the 2.3's are REAL good when it gets slippery and i prefer to use the 2.1's for anything else, i find that 1.95 is too small

2. Fallguy

Fallguy New Member

For the off road I run GEAX Argo 2.0 and for the on road which I just purchased the GEAX evolution 1.9. :D

3. Fallguy

Fallguy New Member

Moparchris, I note that you said you were getting a Giant XTC2. I have an XTC3 and absolutely love it. Let me know when you get it and tell me what you think.

Fallguy

4. moparchris

moparchris New Member

ok man, i work at a bike shop and ive ridden them around a litte but havent really got to test one out yet :D hopefully ill have it in about a week or 2

just so its on topic.. it comes with Hutchinson Python Airlight, i think 2.0 wide which ive heard are pretty good tyres for around here (i ride mostly at a place called Woodhill forrest in Auckland, New Zealand which is very sandy ) :p

5. hophead

hophead New Member

My XC bike came spec'd with 1.9" Hutchinson Mosquitos. They were decent for hard pack, but lacked traction when wet or in sandy soil. They also would often flat. I switched to 2.1" Panaracers last year--Smoke rear and Dart front. I haven't had a flat since and they dig in great.

I'll never go back to 1.9's.

6. DarrylZ

DarrylZ New Member

Ihsan
    You sound like an old BMX racer, dont know if they still do it but we used to run that kind of set up on the bmx bikes, bigger tyres on the fron for grip and smaller on the back for acceleration and less pedaling resistance.

I recently tried a similar combo to yours (Also Maxxis, but different style) and have to now continued to use such, 2.1 Front & 1.95 back.

D

7. nickspeedbike

nickspeedbike New Member

Need to use fat tires in the mud when the course has killer uphills, stones and roots.Dry hard-pack X-country I use 1.9 set for smooth course or 2.1 set for gravel loose soil.

When it rain and all goes to hell, then its 2.2 or 2.1 up front and 2.4 rear.

I need fat tyres because I weigh between 80 to 90kg fully geared up. They also absorb shock much better. I use higher pressure to reduce rolling resistance though.

2.4 looks very menancing on an NRS frame and I'm beginning to like that look. :D

8. pwforprez

pwforprez New Member

i have 2.24 and was wondering if it really makes a difference when i change the pressure on them i ride daily and it goes from street to dirt to city riding i was told that if i use a lower Pressure when taking drops or riding trials that its better. but since i go all around i dont know what i should set them at. right not my front is set about 30 and my rear is at 45. is this good or bad?

9. William Henry

William Henry New Member

I have found that when you have wide tires then you will get a whole lot better traction in mud they are also good for higly pumped up on hardpack:eek: