What is spinning?

watsonglenn

Apr 24, 2003
I keep seeing the phrase 'spinning' mentioned. Obviously it has to do with pedaling the crank arm in a smooth swift manner but what exactly is it?

This is not an "offficial explanation but I'll try. Swift and smooth is a good part of it. It really
means high crank rpms 90+ at a lower gear trying to maintain a circular pedal stroke. Instead of the
High gear low rpm pedal mashing so normally observed in the "unlightened riders" technique. A good
example of great spinning technique is Lance Armstrong on any of the long climbs during the tour. He
maintains a low gear at a high rpm (110-120 rpm I'm told), and a circular, powerful pedal stroke.
The benifit of it all is a good heart rate, good power output, much easier on the knees, and I think
once you get used to it much less tiring than pushing a big gear. Spinning is pretty essential on a
recumbent. The knees take a lot of the pressure, due to the posistion on the bike. Enjoy the Ride
Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not Broken"

"watsonglenn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I keep seeing the phrase 'spinning' mentioned. Obviously it has to do with pedaling the crank arm
> in a smooth swift manner but what exactly is it?
>
>
>
> --

It has something to do with turning wool into yarn.
"watsonglenn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I keep seeing the phrase 'spinning' mentioned. Obviously it has to do with pedaling the crank arm
>
>
>
> --

Being a noobee, please don't take my explanation for fact! The points that follow I have gleaned
from this and other on-line sources over the past couple years. Any errors are mine alone, etc.

Spinning is using a lower gear and rotating the pedals faster than.. well.. faster than something. I
want to say "faster than 80 rpm" or 100 rpm or 120.. but I don't know what folks recognize as the
beginning point.

Most cyclists I see on the street appear to me to be 'mashing', or pushing heavily on slow turning
pedals. Spinning is more than the opposite of 'mashing' though.

I have heard people refer to 'trudging' as mashing at higher rpm. A higher than normal rpm doesn't
by itself constitute spinning. Spinning is using muscles to apply power to the pedal throughout most
of its circular pathway. Newbies are instructed to use a stroke that feels like wiping your feet, as
opposed to climbing a stair. Yes, you pedal fast, but are also pushing down, back, and up. I believe
it takes time and effort to train new muscle groups so you can comfortably generate power throughout
the entire circle, and to develop it into a new habit.