What is that thing on the forks?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mr. Beanz, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Watching the TDF, and a couple other pro races, I see a vinyl looking wrap on the forks. Seems there could be some kind of device under the wrap.

Any ideas of what it is?

Tags:

2. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

Not clear what you mean but i expect that you're talking about a GPS position finder that will show the first one over the line in the races. As well as show the time delay between a breakaway and the peloton. These things pretty accurately give position and speed from which you can calculate time differentials. But as you can see, this is not 100% accurate because time differentials are all screwed up in uphills and downhills because of the present speed of an individual.

3. floyedGold

floyedGold New Member

your absolutely right this is not clear 100% ,, you have to be delicate with these things speed wise and other important things like position etc..

4. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Quite a few bikes in the 2021 Tour De France had them on the forks wrapped in different colors. Some red, some black, Bianchi team had them in celeste, all on the forks.

000thing4.JPG 000thing4A.jpg 000thing1.JPG 000thing3.JPG

5. floyedGold

floyedGold New Member

wow tour de france ,, my favorite moment was Andy Schleck's brave attack in 2011 to the summit of the Galibier. I was there on the mountain - it was the best lone attack I've ever seen.. Just a shame he's lost the climbing form he once had...