What is that thing on the forks?

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
Watching the TDF, and a couple other pro races, I see a vinyl looking wrap on the forks. Seems there could be some kind of device under the wrap.

Any ideas of what it is?

Not clear what you mean but i expect that you're talking about a GPS position finder that will show the first one over the line in the races. As well as show the time delay between a breakaway and the peloton. These things pretty accurately give position and speed from which you can calculate time differentials. But as you can see, this is not 100% accurate because time differentials are all screwed up in uphills and downhills because of the present speed of an individual.

Not clear what you mean but i expect that you're talking about a GPS position finder that will show the first one over the line in the races. As well as show the time delay between a breakaway and the peloton. These things pretty accurately give position and speed from which you can calculate time differentials. But as you can see, this is not 100% accurate because time differentials are all screwed up in uphills and downhills because of the present speed of an individual.
your absolutely right this is not clear 100% ,, you have to be delicate with these things speed wise and other important things like position etc..

Quite a few bikes in the 2021 Tour De France had them on the forks wrapped in different colors. Some red, some black, Bianchi team had them in celeste, all on the forks.

000thing4.JPG
000thing4A.jpg
000thing1.JPG
000thing3.JPG

Speed Test Quite a few bikes in the 2021 Tour De France had them on the forks wrapped in different colors. Some red, some black, Bianchi team had them in celeste, all on the forks.

View attachment 5132 View attachment 5133 View attachment 5134 View attachment 5135
wow tour de france ,, my favorite moment was Andy Schleck's brave attack in 2011 to the summit of the Galibier. I was there on the mountain - it was the best lone attack I've ever seen.. Just a shame he's lost the climbing form he once had...