what is the average speed for girls?

cin

Oct 28, 2003
what is a good average speed for girls?
i really would like to compete one day but i have no idea what the average speed in a race is?
ive only been riding for a couple of months.

Originally posted by cin
what is a good average speed for girls?
i really would like to compete one day but i have no idea what the average speed in a race is?
ive only been riding for a couple of months.

What's a girl? A teen, young woman, any female? What do you ride, where? On the road I average 13 mph on long rides when I take the cross off the pavement its a diff game. So far I only compete with myself. I have been riding seriously for seven years.

Originally posted by skippygirl
What's a girl? A teen, young woman, any female? What do you ride, where? On the road I average 13 mph on long rides when I take the cross off the pavement its a diff game. So far I only compete with myself. I have been riding seriously for seven years.

im 20yrs old, so young woman.
i ride a Trek1200 and i ride between 25km and 50km 4 days a week.
In school I rode a mountain bike and competed in cross country and down hill, but once i left I stopped riding all together. I borrowed a friends road bike a few months ago and it reminded me how much i loved to ride. So competeing would just be for fun but at the same time I down want to be left behind!
So what would be a competative average speed?

All depends what your local level of competition is. Is there a race club in your area? If so, suggest you attend a meeting and find out more about training events for new riders. They can advise you on what speeds they train, and whether you're ready to start riding with them.

If they have open training rides, suggest you just go out and see how long you can hang on. Expect to be dropped pretty quickly your first few times...that's how most racers start out. But you'll improve rapidly if you stay with it. As you said, it's all about fun.

Dan

Faster than we guys very often ;-)

In our triathlon club, the "girls" can happily keep up with the pack on drafting-legal races. Being a newbie, I definitely can't keep up with them.

Sorry I can't offer a definitive answer, but I would suggest not worrying about it too much - you'll probably be cycling faster than many of the guys before too long anyway if you stick at it.

Depends on who your competition is. Go riding with faster groups and ask them :)