What is the best bike rack for a hitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3631986402&category=22692
> Thanks in advance!
>
> martin

Sportworks rule!!!!!!

http://www.sportworks.com/stdem.asp

Get the Madd Phat version if you run fat tires.

dogtired wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I dunno if this has been posted before, but I gotta ask if anyone are happy with their bike rack
> hitch? If so, what kind? Yakima? Thule? Softride? I am looking at this rack right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3631986402&category=22692
> Thanks in advance!
>
> martin

I got a Saris receiver rack similar to the one you're looking at. Fits in the 2" recieiver on my
Jeep. I really like it alot, it was about $150 and holds 4 bikes.

--
KH

Try First...Ask Second

I've used Swagman hitch racks for years. I've gone through 3 of them, getting a new one with each
new car. They hold up great, hold the bikes secure. I convinced the owner of the LBS I worked at to
drop Thule and get these with never a moment of regret. ~Andrew

"dogtired" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%l%[email protected]...
> Hi guys,
>
> I dunno if this has been posted before, but I gotta ask if anyone are
happy
> with their bike rack hitch? If so, what kind? Yakima? Thule? Softride? I
am
> looking at this rack right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3631986402&category=22692
> Thanks in advance!
>
> martin

Lerith scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> I've used Swagman hitch racks for years. I've gone through 3 of them, getting a new one with each
> new car. They hold up great, hold the bikes secure. I convinced the owner of the LBS I worked at
> to drop Thule and get these with never a moment of regret. ~Andrew

you can't transfer them from one vehicle to another?

> "dogtired" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:%l%[email protected]...
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I dunno if this has been posted before, but I gotta ask if anyone are happy with their bike rack
>> hitch? If so, what kind? Yakima? Thule? Softride? I am looking at this rack right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3631986402&category=22692
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> martin

>I dunno if this has been posted before, but I gotta ask if anyone >are happy with their bike rack
>hitch? If so, what kind? Yakima? Thule? Softride? I am looking at >this rack right now:

Picked up a used Yak Rimroc for a 2" receiver a couple years ago and it's nice since it will hold FS bikes with "not normal" top tubes, etc. The lock on it isn't worth much, but the rack works pretty well and folds up easy so it isn't all huge and sticking out from the back of the truck all the time. I wouldn't pay the retail on them, but for the right price it's fine.

K.

Sure you can, I just didn't bother, and got a new one each time.

"jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "dogtired" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:%l%[email protected]...
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I dunno if this has been posted before, but I gotta ask if anyone are
> happy
> > with their bike rack hitch? If so, what kind? Yakima? Thule? Softride? I
> am
> > looking at this rack right now:
> >
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3631986402&category=22692
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > martin
> >

> Sportworks rule!!!!!!
>
> http://www.sportworks.com/stdem.asp
>
> Get the Madd Phat version if you run fat tires.

I'll second that notion.

JD

I picked up a Rhode Gear receiver hitch rack about 10 years ago which still works well. Only 2 bikes
though. Has a nice cable lock for leaving the whole thing in parking lots after rides.

It's on the second vehicle now.

--
Bob Burns Mill Hall PA

"dogtired" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%l%[email protected]...
> Hi guys,
>
> I dunno if this has been posted before, but I gotta ask if anyone are
happy
> with their bike rack hitch? If so, what kind? Yakima? Thule? Softride? I
am
> looking at this rack right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3631986402&category=22692
> Thanks in advance!
>
> martin

RE/
>I dunno if this has been posted before, but I gotta ask if anyone are happy with their bike rack
>hitch? If so, what kind? Yakima? Thule? Softride? I am looking at this rack right now:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3631986402&category=22692 Thanks in advance!

If you have a wagon, does it fold down to allow you to open the vehicle's rear gate?

Also, looks like it only accomodates bikes with a straight top tube.
--
PeteCresswell

> > I dunno if this has been posted before, but I gotta ask if anyone are
> happy
> > with their bike rack hitch? If so, what kind? Yakima? Thule? Softride? I
> am
> > looking at this rack right now: martin

> Sportworks rule!!!!!!
>
> http://www.sportworks.com/stdem.asp

I, too, have Sportsworks. I wouldn't go with anything else. They're beefy, well made, and
well designed.

Pat in TX

"Lerith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've used Swagman hitch racks for years. I've gone through 3 of them, getting a new one with each
> new car. They hold up great, hold the bikes secure. I convinced the owner of the LBS I worked at
> to drop Thule and
get
> these with never a moment of regret. ~Andrew
>

> "dogtired" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:%l%[email protected]...
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I dunno if this has been posted before, but I gotta ask if anyone are
> happy
> > with their bike rack hitch? If so, what kind? Yakima? Thule? Softride? I
> am
> > looking at this rack right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3631986402&category=22692
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > martin

A friend of mine bought a similar rack this summer. Sorry, I don't know the brand. It seemed a
little tin-like to me. This ebay model may be a little more solid. Can't say for sure. The price,
$139 is very good. Although I don't know the original price. I am not sure if the 229 retail price
is accurate.

I bought a Thule, see link below. I've been very happy with it. It has a lock and I use an extra
cable lock if I know I am going to be in a store or restaurant. Don't really trust the locking
system so I never leave my good bike un-attended. It takes about 5 minutes to put on and another 5
minutes to take off. I have to use a bike post adapter for my mountain bike as it has a thick top
tube and doesn't fit this rack without an adapter. I think the adapter is also put out by Thule? The
rack adapter is a 2 part black sliding post with round clamps on both ends. The end clamps grab
under the seat and at the handlebar stem. It cost an extra $20, but it makes it super easy to
transport the bike. The post rests on the rack while the bike rest on the post. It's fairly
ingenious, yet very slightly inconvenient.

This Thule rack tilts down, so you can tilt it away from the car in case you are too close to open
your trunk. I seldom have use this feature, but it has come in handy on occasion. I highly recommend
this rack if you are only carrying two bikes. It's quite solid, easy to put on, offers some lock
protection. There may be an adapter to add more bikes. I am not sure. Many of the racks I've looked
at are flimsy in some way. This is not the case with this rack. I can't say I am an expert in this
area. Only that I've been happy with my purchase. Almost everyone that has seen this rack has been
impressed with it's functionality, flexibility and quality. It's a bit pricey, but I feel I've got
my moneys worth. http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=938

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >I dunno if this has been posted before, but I gotta ask if anyone are
happy
> >with their bike rack hitch? If so, what kind? Yakima? Thule? Softride? I
am
> >looking at this rack right now:
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3631986402&category=2269
2
> >Thanks in advance!
>
> If you have a wagon, does it fold down to allow you to open the vehicle's
rear
> gate?
>
> Also, looks like it only accomodates bikes with a straight top tube.
> --
> PeteCresswell

The adapter I described in my previous post would most likely allow him to use the rack he's looking
at on Ebay regardless of the tube shape. It attaches to the seat post and handle bar stem. It's not
the most ideal bike holder, but it works.