What is the best chain lube ?

need11@46 said:
I just came across a new chain lube I've never hear about - A.T.B. Don't laugh - it's an acronym (of sorts) for "Absolutely The Best." Supposedly it was formulated by an ex petroleum company chemist (Union 76). Anyone else using this lube?

The carrier evaporates quickly. A warning label on the container states it's combustible. Lovely.

-Wm.
I picked up some Phil Wood Tenacious Oil to try. I got it for a good price and I'll admit I was drawn by the Phil Wood name.

TheDL said:
I picked up some Phil Wood Tenacious Oil to try. I got it for a good price and I'll admit I was drawn by the Phil Wood name.
I am using the Prolink home brew (3to1 mineral spirits to mobile 1). For my road bike it seems to keep the chain very clean and it runs virtually silent. I use it after a wet ride and approximatly every 2 weeks.

SKAUFMAN12 said:
I am using the Prolink home brew (3to1 mineral spirits to mobile 1). For my road bike it seems to keep the chain very clean and it runs virtually silent. I use it after a wet ride and approximatly every 2 weeks.

skaufman12: Did you mean 3 parts ProLink to 1 part mineral spirits? What is the reference to "mobile?" A very interesting concoction to say the least. Do you find the ProLink a bit too heavy or gummy?

need11@46 said:
skaufman12: Did you mean 3 parts ProLink to 1 part mineral spirits? What is the reference to "mobile?" A very interesting concoction to say the least. Do you find the ProLink a bit too heavy or gummy?

I think he meant a home made version that's like Prolink but made out of 3 parts mineral spirits to one part Mobil one motor oil. I like it... bathtub chemistry. I'll have to try that. I use Prolink right now, and it's good. Not as clean as I'd like, White Lightening is the driest that I've tried, but WL doesn't work as well and it builds up.

Anyone tried teflon coated chains and cassettes from IRD?

Anyone tried teflon coated chains and cassettes from IRD?[/QUOTE]

OK. Makes a bit more sense. As for the above, wouldn't the teflon wear off, similar to what happens to teflon-coated pot's and pans..?

need11@46 said:
Anyone tried teflon coated chains and cassettes from IRD?

OK. Makes a bit more sense. As for the above, wouldn't the teflon wear off, similar to what happens to teflon-coated pot's and pans..?[/QUOTE]

I would think so. But if you ran the teflon coated chain and the teflon coated cassette together...hmmmm

The best chain lube is the one that is most religiously applied! No lube is going to protect a drive chain once it gets mucked up with grime.

need11@46 said:

Frankly, I haven't tried the prolink because I had the ingredients at home for the "home brew." Mobile 1 is a synthetic motor oil. The mineral spirits evaporate over-night. I have not compared it to other products but the chain feels like "ice" and yet is not wet to the touch.

I rode about 20 miles in the rain yesterday with no chain noise, very smooth.

SKAUFMAN12 said:
Frankly, I haven't tried the prolink because I had the ingredients at home for the "home brew." Mobile 1 is a synthetic motor oil. The mineral spirits evaporate over-night. I have not compared it to other products but the chain feels like "ice" and yet is not wet to the touch.

I rode about 20 miles in the rain yesterday with no chain noise, very smooth.

Never thought to make my own. Very interesting. Thanks.

Anybody use Boeshield T-9? I'm looking for a very maintenance free lube. I've been using Shimano's Spit Lube and it gets a bit gunky in a short while.

SKAUFMAN12, I like that Mobile One & mineral spirits combo idea for a wet lube. At only pennies per serving it's nice 'n' cheap! :D

need11@46, Mobile One is truly a synthetic motor oil, unlike many others that are various forms of regular oil. There's much leeway here in the States on what can be labeled as synthetic. Just follow the money trail.

Doctor Morbius said:
Anybody use Boeshield T-9? I'm looking for a very maintenance free lube. I've been using Shimano's Spit Lube and it gets a bit gunky in a short while.

SKAUFMAN12, I like that Mobile One & mineral spirits combo idea for a wet lube. At only pennies per serving it's nice 'n' cheap! :D

need11@46, Mobile One is truly a synthetic motor oil, unlike many others that are various forms of regular oil. There's much leeway here in the States on what can be labeled as synthetic. Just follow the money trail.

Doc: Thanks for the tip and information. I've never heard of Boeshield. I've been using ProLink with good success (low maintenance...), and was just introduced to A.T.B. (see previous post). I've since discovered that A.T.B. offers a "dry" formula which I intend to try on another bike. One item of interest with A.T.B. is that the carrier seems to evaporate rather quickly. The residual lubricant is very light, so I don't see that it will leave buildup over time (as does White Lightening). This may result in a need to lube the chain before or after each ride. We'll see.

-Wm.

Doctor Morbius said:

Been using it for about 4 weeks now. Very happy with the results: chain is staying pretty clean, no build-up. I like that it is the chain cleaner and the chain lube, saves a step. I was using white lightening before, but it gunked up too much.

cosmic junkie said:
Doctor Morbius said:

Been using it for about 4 weeks now. Very happy with the results: chain is staying pretty clean, no build-up. I like that it is the chain cleaner and the chain lube, saves a step. I was using white lightening before, but it gunked up too much.
Thanks. This is good to know. Now if I can just find it locally somewhere besides a bike shop that charges an arm and a leg. I know Wally World doesn't carry it as I was there last night.

TheDL said:

I've used Phil Wood Tenacious Oil for many things including chain lube. It clings tenaciously to everything. It catches all the dirt in the vicinity. I think it even takes dirt from other people's chains nearby and coats itself with it. It does last though. Great for water.

Doctor Morbius said:
Thanks. This is good to know. Now if I can just find it locally somewhere besides a bike shop that charges an arm and a leg. I know Wally World doesn't carry it as I was there last night.

Sometimes you can find T-9 at a local hardware store. You may want to call a few places in your area, you might just get lucky. good luck!

Tall_andy said:
The oldest and still the best.........Good Old Chain Wax (the kind you melt and put the chain in) I ride both Mtn, Road, Cross, and Track each season I put each chain in the wax at the beginning and go for the season!! Of course I replace the chains as needed, but find the Chain wax lasts longer than any other lube out there
You nailed it Andy...

3 parts paraffin wax (gulf wax... the kind they use for canning) 1 part beeswax, and a squirt of powdered graphite.

Tried Rock'n'Roll gold last week thanks to the comments on this thread - nice and clean and I like it!

need11@46 said:
I just came across a new chain lube I've never hear about - A.T.B. Don't laugh - it's an acronym (of sorts) for "Absolutely The Best." Supposedly it was formulated by an ex petroleum company chemist (Union 76). Anyone else using this lube?

The carrier evaporates quickly. A warning label on the container states it's combustible. Lovely.

-Wm.
I recently switched to ATB from Pro Link Gold for the mtn. bike. Great stuff! It's water resistant where Pro Link isn't and does a fine job of drawing the dirt out of the chain. I ride all over in all conditions, thumbs up!