What is the best clincher wheelset for climbing?

Walrus

Apr 4, 2004
I need a superlight clincher wheelset that is suited for climbing. Could you include a couple of options with price estimates if possible? I was thinking about the new Bontrager *** lite's due out soon. The one's that Trek put on the Madone SSL. ;)

Walrus said:
I need a superlight clincher wheelset that is suited for climbing. Could you include a couple of options with price estimates if possible? I was thinking about the new Bontrager *** lite's due out soon. The one's that Trek put on the Madone SSL. ;)

If you're just concern about the weight, try looking at the Zipp 404. I've heard its the lightest wheelsets on the market (I could be wrong though, so check your LBS).

If not, lose some weight so you can go faster on uphill climbs. Good luck!

tanggoman said:
If not, lose some weight so you can go faster on uphill climbs. Good luck!
Yeah, as well as training harder and eating more spincah and wheaties.

Walrus said:
I don't know if they're the lightest, but I recently started riding the Mavic Krysium SLs. These have been great climbing wheels for me, they are light and very stiff. They run from around $675 to $850, you can usually find them slightly used on Ebay. I would not suggest these if you weigh much over 200 lbs as I've heard some bad reports about the durability from heavier riders. Personally, I don't have anything but praise for the wheels accept the price tag, but any high end wheel is going to cost you. As far as the Bontragers go, I have never ridden any of their wheels but have friends that have used them and hated them (I'm sure you can find someone that hates the Mavic's as well). You may wanna check out the Dura Ace wheels, they're not quite as stiff as the Mavics. Also look at the Velomax Ascents, Spingergy and Campy Nuetrons.

Walrus said:
My Dura-Ace wheels seem to enhance climbing.