what is the best dirtjump/freeride front fork

Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III is great. (I know, not on the list) Also, I believe that Fox Float (on the list) is a rear shock?

Originally posted by juliebeanpie
Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III is great. (I know, not on the list) Also, I believe that Fox Float (on the list) is a rear shock?

Float is the term fox uses to determine its an air shock and Vanilla is the term for coil shocks. There are float and vanilla versions of both their front and rear shocks.

I think the two categories are being mixed. Dirt Jumping and Freeride are sufficiently different that you can have a best fork for both. Dirt jumpers usually prefer to ride single crown forks. Freeride is a bit broad of a term to really pick a fork as well. Normally downhill style dual crown forks are prefered here but there are also some who prefer cliff hucking forks like the Marzocchi Super Monster T

Originally posted by Hecubus
I think the two categories are being mixed. Dirt Jumping and Freeride are sufficiently different that you can have a best fork for both. Dirt jumpers usually prefer to ride single crown forks. Freeride is a bit broad of a term to really pick a fork as well. Normally downhill style dual crown forks are prefered here but there are also some who prefer cliff hucking forks like the Marzocchi Super Monster T

Hecubus is right.These are two totally different aspects of cycling requiring two totally different forks.For the average freerider a dual crown fork like my Jr T Pro is all you need.For the really extreme huckers,you can't beat a Monster T.The 12" travel Super Monster is a great fork but is probably only needed by about a half of one percent of freeriders.Even Wade Simmons gets by with a Monster T.I won't even get into the merits of Manitou's and Rock Shox offerings but they both offer a few good forks as well but not as many as Marzochi.
Dirt Jumpers,as said above usually use a single crown fork.There are so many good ones it's pretty well impossible to pick the best one although I really like the Z.1's and Z.3's that Marzocchi offers.
Dave

for dirt jumping anything more than 4" or so is a waste of time. too squishy feel. some guys want more, but more than 5" on a hard tail seems goofy to me.

yeah i luv dirts right on ive put jr ts on a hard tail, z 150s theyre all goofy, and the 110 mm dirt jumper is king for jumpin for free riding i guess it depends on what your laying down

benbarian said:
yeah i luv dirts right on ive put jr ts on a hard tail, z 150s theyre all goofy, and the 110 mm dirt jumper is king for jumpin for free riding i guess it depends on what your laying down

I second this. I've the Dirt Jumper 3's....once you preload them, they're perfect. Just the right amount of travel and built like a brick shithouse

L