what is the best dirtjump/freeride front fork

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by happypuppy, Nov 18, 2003.

1. happypuppy

happypuppy New Member

1 manitou sherman

Tags:

2. juliebeanpie

juliebeanpie New Member

Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III is great. (I know, not on the list) Also, I believe that Fox Float (on the list) is a rear shock?

3. Hecubus

Hecubus New Member

Float is the term fox uses to determine its an air shock and Vanilla is the term for coil shocks. There are float and vanilla versions of both their front and rear shocks.

4. Alnamvet

Alnamvet New Member

Manitou Dorado seems to be the handsdown choice in the VA mountains.

5. Hecubus

Hecubus New Member

I think the two categories are being mixed. Dirt Jumping and Freeride are sufficiently different that you can have a best fork for both. Dirt jumpers usually prefer to ride single crown forks. Freeride is a bit broad of a term to really pick a fork as well. Normally downhill style dual crown forks are prefered here but there are also some who prefer cliff hucking forks like the Marzocchi Super Monster T

6. vetteman

vetteman New Member

Hecubus is right.These are two totally different aspects of cycling requiring two totally different forks.For the average freerider a dual crown fork like my Jr T Pro is all you need.For the really extreme huckers,you can't beat a Monster T.The 12" travel Super Monster is a great fork but is probably only needed by about a half of one percent of freeriders.Even Wade Simmons gets by with a Monster T.I won't even get into the merits of Manitou's and Rock Shox offerings but they both offer a few good forks as well but not as many as Marzochi.
    Dirt Jumpers,as said above usually use a single crown fork.There are so many good ones it's pretty well impossible to pick the best one although I really like the Z.1's and Z.3's that Marzocchi offers.
    Dave

7. i luv dirt

i luv dirt New Member

for dirt jumping anything more than 4" or so is a waste of time. too squishy feel. some guys want more, but more than 5" on a hard tail seems goofy to me.

8. benbarian

benbarian New Member

yeah i luv dirts right on ive put jr ts on a hard tail, z 150s theyre all goofy, and the 110 mm dirt jumper is king for jumpin for free riding i guess it depends on what your laying down

9. Psychobiker

Psychobiker New Member

I second this. I've the Dirt Jumper 3's....once you preload them, they're perfect. Just the right amount of travel and built like a brick shithouse

L

10. J1S

J1S New Member

I Like my Marzocchi Drop-off comps, 130mm. Nice and strong