What is the BEST energy drink during a ride...

Kaizen

Nov 9, 2004
There's so many energy drinks to choose from... What do you guys like the best?

Accelerade, Hammer, Cytomax...

For a long while now I'm mostly using PowerBars "Sports performance drink", sits easy on the stomack, kind of OK tasting, easy to mix.

Kaizen said:

Ive always used High5 Energy Source powder concentrate to make up my drinks, i only use this on longer rides though , and usually stick to water on shorter outings. (http://www.high5-online.com/)
Main reason i go for this is because its easily available where i live and it tastes good.

Extran or Maxim. Both pro quality.....you won't go wrong with either of these.

At the Green Mountain Stage Race this summer, the pro field comes flying up one of the hills towards the feed zone. I'm thinking to myself, "Finally, I get to see what formula of jet fuel these guys drink." Next thing I know here comes a waterbottle rolling to my feet. What was in it? Watered-down Gatorade. Who's was it? Mike Creed's.

The point is that while companies hype the advantages of their product over those of competing manufacturers, one has to really wonder if there is a noticeable difference between sugar-water and fancy Accelerade and the like.

Gatorade works for me. It contains glucose which is the sugar the body runs on. Other drinks promote a form of timed release doses of sugar as larger molecules are first broken down. Don't see a need for that if you're racing. When I'm touring, I drink everything but high sugar drinks or concentrated juices (i.e. grape and apple). I prefer water and MILK. You might as well get a balanced food instead of fortified water.

So far my best experience has been with Cytomax. I have tried accelerade but none of the others in the poll choices. I started using cytomax last year along with endurox r4 for recovery. I can't say enough good about those two products. Just wish they were cheaper! :)

HammerZ said:
So far my best experience has been with Cytomax. I have tried accelerade but none of the others in the poll choices. I started using cytomax last year along with endurox r4 for recovery. I can't say enough good about those two products. Just wish they were cheaper! :)

Cytomax is also excellent.

So far, I still get the best results with Gatorade. Maybe it's cause I'm used to it. But yeah 1/2 gatorade 1/2 water. Its been my formula since JHS track. I've tried some others, tweaked the amounts, but my during event drink is still the same.

Kaizen said:

ive been using this stuff for the last few months, science in sport psp22 high energy drink, its little on the stomach nad tastes pretty good aswell, heres the web site address if you want to find out more http://www.scienceinsport.com/....

cheers

martin

ed073 said:
Cytomax is also excellent.
Cytomax seems to work better than Gatorade for me as well. It seems easier on the stomach and gives me more energy during hard rides.

But it is expensive. I use Gatorade powder for regular training and club rides, and save the Cytomax for the tougher events where I know I'll be going hard.

HammerZ said:
http://www.endurancezone.com is a GREAT place to buy cytomax. they have sales on it constantly. i have no reason to pimp them other than they have taken care of me so far.

Gatorade so far but I did get a chance to drink Accelerade and it did wonders for me on on ride. Or that might be just a fluke. Anyone tried Elete? www.eletewater.com

eortiz said:
Gatorade so far but I did get a chance to drink Accelerade and it did wonders for me on on ride. Or that might be just a fluke. Anyone tried Elete? www.eletewater.com
Have used PSP22 for many years during rides and after rides I use REGO for after rides to recover, they have a another product called GO which is an energy drink and electrolyte replacement, I haven't tried it yet but it is meant to be top quality. http://www.scienceinsport.com if any one is interested in there products.