What is the "best" H2O?

Doctor Morbius

Mar 15, 2004
We've recently had a good thread on the best temperature of water to drink for absorption during training. Now I would like to know what type of water is the best for consumption, since water is the most important substance we put into our bodies. I've also read that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. It doesn't supprise me.

It seems the bottled water phenomenon in the U.S. is quite a lucrative venture. I'd just like to know the facts without all of the hype of advertising. Don't certain types of water contribute to your body's acidity?

Which of the following types of water do you drink during exercise and throughout the day? Why do you feel it is the best? Also, how much of it do you drink? Eight glasses, a gallon?

Mineral water?

Bottled water (such as Evian)$

Spring water?

Distilled water?

Tap water?

Filtered tap water?

Doesn't matter?

I drink a combination of filtered tap water and distilled water. During the summer when I'm drinking a gallon or more a day and exercising more than in the winter I'll switch over to distilled as it has no unwanted extras in it. Mega-Lo-Mart sells it for 50 cents a gallon, which is pretty cheap compated to some of the advertised brands.

personally I drink tap water filtered through a brita pitcher. The best water for you is the kind you can drink the easiest, and I think taste and personal preference are a lot more important than what's in the water. Around here the tap water is pretty decent so you are not getting much nasties in it when drinking a lot. Sometimes I will drink bottled water since it's usually pre-chilled.

Originally posted by Paul J
Is that purified or filtered tap water?

That is what it says on the bottled water we buy

"non-carbonated purified drinking water"

Good. We're getting some good feedback here. Any thoughts on the acidity levels of certain types of water?

Any nutritionists want to jump in here? Join in please.

LOL....i drink Florida tap and I'm fine.....maybe it's the ****e they put in the water up there in Valrico ;)

When I was growing up in the 70-80's, people would look at you like you were nuts for saying, "...stop at the store and buy a bottle of water." We took a glass jug with a lid and filled it from the tap every morning and put it in the fridge so it would chill and "settle"...that disturbs me now that I think about it! But, we drank "bottled" water before it was cool.......hmmmmm innovative! Now, that Dasani is out, I can't stand the taste of "sink water" as I like to call it. It takes like the chemicals in it...chlorine, iron.... yuck!

I've tried the Propel brand recently. The lemon flavored is ok. It did make me feel better, recovery wise, than plain water. I guess I stayed hydrated, had plenty of electrolytes in my system from drinking it as opposed to plain water.

As far as brands go...I'm picky! I hate the store brands of water (even Sam's club). I don't like the soft waters like Evian, Purity... I guess that's why I drink Dasani; it's not soft, not hard and doesn't have a flavor.

Deer Sweat (Park)--yuck
Aquafina--yuck
Purity, Dannon, Zepherylls.....yuck
Dasani and Crystal Springs..........the best!

As far as Spring, Purified, Distilled........distilled has a nasty taste to me (kinda sulpher-y); I've never looked at the contents in Spring and Purified water, but I'd lean toward Spring as it's more natural. But, it all goes back to TASTE to me!
Just My Opinnion!

Kim in TN

"Pepsi and Coke are Johnnies-come-lately to the market, Pepsi in 1995 and Coca Cola in 1999. But they have so much marketing savvy, power in the distribution and bottling area, and store presence, that they have made their two brands, Aquafina (Pepsi) and Dasani (Coke), the top two selling brands in the US market. That's in spite of the fact that, unlike most of the competitors, these are simply filtered and bottled local tap water. Yet bottles of the either of these essentially free liquids sell for almost the same a similar container of soda or iced tea. Not a bad business to be in!

Both companies use their vast experience in associating drinks with lifestyle, sharpened during the cola wars. They are ramping up their ad budgets and getting significant growth in volume as they do so. And they have a big opportunity. According to estimates, one third of American households have never tried bottled water, and carrying around a bottle of water has become a status symbol for many younger Americans."

Do you really want to pay that much for tap water?

I carry Gatorade made with well water. I do run it through a filter but it still contains some lime.I also drink Propel after my ride and have tried about all the flavors and there are several.

I currently live in an area with decent municipal water. I use a charcoal filter to remove chlorine (just to make it taste better).

When I lived in Waukesha, WI I drank RO water from a home system because of extreme mineral and Radon content.

Concerning the marketing of bottled water, Evian is Naive spelled backwards.

Larry

Thanks for all the feedback. I certainly appreciate it.

It seems that many here feel that a simple Britta filter on tap water will more than suffice and that most bottled water is a marketing tool to generate revenues.

I still can't help but think about the **** I pour down the drain on a regular basis - detergents, spray & wash, bleach, Mr. Clean, body waste :eek: - and that's just from inside the house!

Outside I just used TRIOX, Round Up & fertilizer. Then there's oil run off from whatever drips from our cars to to streets, pesticides, and God knows what industry is dumping. In the U.S. we may have reasonable environmental statutes but in places like Mexico and China I'm sure they dump whatever suits them. That all ends up in our water supply too someday.

I heard on the news this morning that water sales have now eclipsed that of soft drinks and beer! Beer!

Suckers. I hardly even bother to use my Britta filters anymore. Tap seems good enough most of the time. Convenience!

Originally posted by Aztec
I heard on the news this morning that water sales have now eclipsed that of soft drinks and beer! Beer!

Suckers. I hardly even bother to use my Britta filters anymore. Tap seems good enough most of the time. Convenience!
Outselling BEER? That's blasphemy!!

What's this country coming to?

I think that the tap water is fine, thats all I ever drink, but I have found that a Brita filter really helps the taste if you don't like the taste of your local water...I for one love the flouride, and minerals mmmmmm.

But I think that buying bottled water goes too far, it just costs money to get essentially filtered tap water.

brita filters out fluoride? i have never heard that, but it sucks if it's true......

Originally posted by beels99
I think that the tap water is fine, thats all I ever drink, but I have found that a Brita filter really helps the taste if you don't like the taste of your local water...I for one love the flouride, and minerals mmmmmm.

But I think that buying bottled water goes too far, it just costs money to get essentially filtered tap water.