General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

What is the best method for exhaling when using nose clips?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 4 posts · 383 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 September 2007
Last activity
25 September 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
383
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My doctor says that, until my sinus problem clears up (hopefully only
    a week or two with antibiotics), I should only swim if I use nose
    clips. So my question is, since I won't be able to exhale through my
    nose as I normally do, should I exhale through my mouth while my head
    is in the water, or do a quick mouth exhale while my mouth is turned
    out of the water (i.e. immediately before the inhale), or what?

    Thanks for any help anyone can give.

  2. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My doctor says that, until my sinus problem clears up (hopefully only
    a week or two with antibiotics), I should only swim if I use nose
    clips. So my question is, since I won't be able to exhale through my
    nose as I normally do, should I exhale through my mouth while my head
    is in the water, or do a quick mouth exhale while my mouth is turned
    out of the water (i.e. immediately before the inhale), or what?

    Thanks for any help anyone can give.


    Whichever you can do best. Theorists call the former 'trickle breathing' and
    the latter 'explosive breathing'.
    Both work, but I find trickle breathing uses the time your mouth is out of
    the water best, as no time is used in exhaling and 100% is therefore
    available for inhaling.

  3. "Duncan Heenan" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My doctor says that, until my sinus problem clears up (hopefully only
    a week or two with antibiotics), I should only swim if I use nose
    clips. So my question is, since I won't be able to exhale through my
    nose as I normally do, should I exhale through my mouth while my head
    is in the water, or do a quick mouth exhale while my mouth is turned
    out of the water (i.e. immediately before the inhale), or what?

    Thanks for any help anyone can give.


    Whichever you can do best. Theorists call the former 'trickle
    breathing' and the latter 'explosive breathing'.
    Both work, but I find trickle breathing uses the time your mouth is
    out of the water best, as no time is used in exhaling and 100% is
    therefore available for inhaling.

    I to a little of both.
    I trickle exhale a bit with my head down. Usually while singing to myself
    <g>. But BEFORE I turn and begin to clear the water, I blast the
    remaining air out.

    This is also known as positive pressure breathing. The goal is to force
    out as much CO2 as possible and not interrupt your inhalation cycle.

  4. Quoted message said:

    My doctor says that, until my sinus problem clears up (hopefully only
    a week or two with antibiotics), I should only swim if I use nose
    clips. So my question is, since I won't be able to exhale through my
    nose as I normally do, should I exhale through my mouth while my head
    is in the water, or do a quick mouth exhale while my mouth is turned
    out of the water (i.e. immediately before the inhale), or what?

    Thanks for any help anyone can give.

    You should be exhaling through your mouth anyway. And your nose, but if
    you don't exhale through your mouth, you can't exchange enough air when
    you're swimming hard. It would be like... like... why, it would be like
    trying to breath through a snorkel.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.