What is the best rim tape?

waxbytes

Aug 4, 2004
I usually switch to velox rim tape the first time I change a tire on a new bike or wheel. However, I wonder if I am actually gaining anything over the stock plastic tapes that come on new wheels? It seemed a good idea when wheels came with that rubber rim tape, but I haven't seen that on new wheels in a long time.

In my opinion, cloth tape is best. I use whatever -- usually Zefal, only because that's what shops around here tend to have lately

If you like using high pressures, the plastic tape eventually cracks, allowing the tube to poke through and puncture, and the rubber stuff just stretches too much

the best tape is the cheapest. I use a layer of cloth friction 3/4 inch electrical tape. Followed by a layer of fiberglass reinforced 3/4 inch strapping tape. Either one used alone would probably be OK. But I find that the strapping tape sticks a little too aggressively to the bare aluminum for later removal. And the cloth friction tape isn't quite strong enough for high pressure tires. So the two combined allow for easy removal and a ton of strength. And two rolls of tape will probably do about 16 wheels for the price of 2 wheels worth of Velox.

waxbytes said:
I usually switch to velox rim tape the first time I change a tire on a new bike or wheel. However, I wonder if I am actually gaining anything over the stock plastic tapes that come on new wheels? It seemed a good idea when wheels came with that rubber rim tape, but I haven't seen that on new wheels in a long time.
Or there are veloplugs made by velocity. Got some recently and they are very light and so far no problems at all and very easy to remove. tires are a little easier to seat without the tape thickness too.

mises said:
Or there are veloplugs made by velocity. Got some recently and they are very light and so far no problems at all and very easy to remove. tires are a little easier to seat without the tape thickness too.
The Veloplugs are great if they happen to fit your spoke hole diameter of about 8mm. They don't work with Campy or Rolf wheels, for example.

Continental and Deda are both good alternatives to Velox, and they won't hold onto water when they get wet as does cloth tape.

I've always just used Velox. Anything but those plastic band things that Mavic and Michelin make. They're awful.