What is the best "type" of water?

Doctor Morbius

Mar 15, 2004
I've recently read a good thread on the best "temperature" of water to drink for absorbsion during training. Now I would like to know what "type" of water is the best for consumption, since water is the most important substance we put into our bodies. I've also read that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

Which of the following types of water do you drink during exercise and throughout the day? Why do you feel it is superior? Also, how much of it do you drink? Eight glasses, a gallon?

Mineral water?

Bottled water (such as Evian)?

Spring water?

Distilled water?

Tap water?

Filtered tap water?

Soltanto l'acqua minerale dall'Italia per me, per favore!

Actually, at home I drink filtered tap water. On the bike, I take regular tap water. At rest stops, or on the road, I'll usually buy bottled spring water when fountain or tap isn't available.

Do you really think it makes any difference (unless you happen to live in Mozambique and want to avoid cholera)?

Originally posted by patch70
Do you really think it makes any difference (unless you happen to live in Mozambique and want to avoid cholera)?

Cholera is pretty bad in Australia, why else do you think bottled water sales would be so high :D I actually had cholera yesterday after I drank some tap water by mistake, I don't know wtf I was thinking, going to the tap to drink water..... duh!

But a sip of $3 per litre bottled spring water fixed it this morning, I feel much better now.

I've also read that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated

Wouldnt that be more like 75% of the world is chronically dehydrated?

That's why I'm asking. To many it must make a difference because bottled water can cost over $1 in some places.

I want to separate fact from hype. We now know that you don't belive it matters. I never cared until I started wondering what happened to all of the fertilizers, week killers, household clensers and bug sprays that get washed down the sewer every year (not to mention the obvious!!).

By the way, I'm glad you re-stated your answer. Water water didn't really explain your position. It could have just been a wise crack.

Originally posted by steve
Wouldnt that be more like 75% of the world is chronically dehydrated?
Just conjecture here, but the % for world dehydration is probably much higher than that. I only had the numbers for the U.S. the day I made the original post.

Originally posted by Doctor Morbius
Just conjecture here, but the % for world dehydration is probably much higher than that. I only had the numbers for the U.S. the day I made the original post.

Certainly many of the world's 6 billion people don't have access to healthy, palatable and cheap water like we in the developed countries take for granted.

If you're concerned about the quality of your municipal water, you can contact your local water company and get access to all the test results as required by the EPA. The report will show the levels of specific bacteria and pollutants vs. govt standards.

I'll bet your local tap water in Indianapolis exceeds all federal standards, and that it's as good as a lot of the bottled stuff.

The most important thing to consider aside from cleanliness is the fact that your body gets a fair percentage of its mineral intake from water. Therefore, if you drink distilled water, you are not getting minerals...unless of course it has been supplemented post-distillation. This being said, paying for bottled water does not necessarily get you something better than what you get from the tap...unless of course the tap is unsuitable for drinking for health reasons (developing countries).

I've recently read a good thread on the best "temperature" of water to drink for absorbsion during training. Now I would like to know what "type" of water is the best for consumption, since water is the most important substance we put into our bodies. I've also read that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

Which of the following types of water do you drink during exercise and throughout the day? Why do you feel it is superior? Also, how much of it do you drink? Eight glasses, a gallon?

Mineral water?

Spring water?

Distilled water?

Tap water?

Filtered tap water?
I prefer mine to have no internal parasites,and minimal PCBs and mercury.

I've also read that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
Do you remember what their evidence was for this?
How did they define 'dehydration'?
What group of people and how many did they sample?

Sounds very bogus; like something coming out of a company that sells drinking water.

Do you remember what their evidence was for this?
How did they define 'dehydration'?
What group of people and how many did they sample?

Sounds very bogus; like something coming out of a company that sells drinking water.
It was in some literature that my Sister had. I don't have it anymore but it was more informational than promotional. I try to drink a gallon of water a day and I'm sure there aren't too many people that drink that much.

I have a friend, Bill, who only drinks a glass of juice with supper and doesn't even drink while he rides his stationary bike for 45 minutes! I KNOW he's dehydrated! I did 30 minutes worth of stair climber today at a mere 80% MaxHR and I drank a quart. That didn't include the water I drank for the previous hour's weight workout or the quart I'm working on right now.

I've tried to tell him he's screwing up but he won't listen. :confused: He just says he isn't thirsty. Doesn't make any sense to me.

H20 is H20.
As stated previously, the only potential problem is contamination.

I had a lady at the health food try to sell my "oxygenated" water. I asked her what she meant by that, and she said "it has more oxygen". Funny stuff

The real issue here as it relates to Athletes is De-hydration. Drinking just water is not enough because it does not provide electrolytes which are lost through sweat. The leading "thirst quenching" drinks are nothing more than over-sugared water so they can actually be counter-productive.

I drink a rehydration formula with Electrolytes that will be featured in Tri-athlete magazine soon. I want to stay clear of sounding like an ad because that is not my intention. If you want to find out where to find this formula, please email me at [email protected] and I will gladly give you the link where you will find more information on the product.

I still drink plenty of fresh water but during and after strenuous activity it is very important to stay hydrated.

Speedyg

Mineral water?

Spring water?

Distilled water?

Tap water?

Filtered tap water?

The real issue here as it relates to Athletes is De-hydration. Drinking just water is not enough because it does not provide electrolytes which are lost through sweat. The leading "thirst quenching" drinks are nothing more than over-sugared water so they can actually be counter-productive.

I drink a rehydration formula with Electrolytes that will be featured in Tri-athlete magazine soon. I want to stay clear of sounding like an ad because that is not my intention. If you want to find out where to find this formula, please email me at [email protected] and I will gladly give you the link where you will find more information on the product.

I still drink plenty of fresh water but during and after strenuous activity it is very important to stay hydrated.

Speedyg

Mineral water?

Spring water?

Distilled water?

Tap water?

Filtered tap water?