What is the best way to attach a race number to the frame?

Cat5tattoo

Feb 27, 2007
Are there any commercially available mounts that allow you to attach race numbers to your frame via the brake caliper bolt? Are these typically homemade? WHat is the best way to attch a number to the fram, other than twisties/zipties?

Thx-

being small (my frame is a 44cm) I don't have any space in the frame to put the number on - at least not if I want to get at my rear bottle.. so I use a bracket from a blinky light to attatch my number to my seat post. If you're not sure what I'm talking about I can take a photo or two. I've also seen people zip tie to the saddle/seatpost, but I like my method better since I can easily take it on and off - they have a tendancy to break off and fly away when you've got the bike on the car and you leave them on.

I also mount mine on the seatpost, but I use clear packing tape and creative use of scissors. It takes a while but it's part of my pre-race ritual along with pinning my jersey, the night before.

You just tape the bottom edge of the number together, then cut the front edge so the angle is the inverse of the seatpost angle (to make the number horizontal to the ground). Taping to the seatpost is the tricky part.

Just use a couple lengths of tape on either side. Tape one side first then carefully apply to the opposite side, rolling the tape from the number to the seatpost so that you make sure the tape touches both the edge of the number and the seatpost. Add a couple more layers of tape if the number is too "floppy" and you're all set!

On my frame I don't have much seatpost available so I have to do some custom fitting. If you have more post it's easier.

See attachment for the end result

Snazzy - over here in Washington, except for some of the stage races that assign riders their own numbers, we get a plastic numbers from the WSBA that we use for the whole season so I don't have to attatch the paper ones too often. Here's my setup (the only modification I made to the bracket is the addition of a little piece of innertube on one side of the bolt to keep the number from sliding around)