What is the best way to ship a bicycle?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by kagata, Jul 13, 2004.

1. kagata

kagata New Member

Hi there,

I've signed up for a bike tour in Montana and I need to fly to get there. Could anyone tell me what the best way to ship my bike is? Should I ship it by UPS or FedEX, or should I fly with my bike? If so, should I get a hard case for this? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Tags:

2. trekchic

trekchic New Member

I have a friend who works for Averitt Express (TN truckload company) who was going to TX last summer and wouldn't even ship his bike with his OWN company! I have been in the "belly" of an airport and watched how the luggage is handled.......you would shudder if you thought of your bike being handled that way! So, I guess the best thing is to buy a hard case and put "baby on board....handle with care" all over the outside! But, you're opening yourself up for theft if you call a lot of attention to what's inside the bag.

I own an Expedited Freight company in Nashville, TN. The only way to ensure the bike gets there without damage is to INSURE it so you can pay for the damage.........or drive to MT with the bike on the back of your car! :D