What is the brightest rear LED light for dynamos?

Goandkickit

Aug 3, 2009
Hi, I've looked at Busch and Muller lights, and used to have a B&M rear LED on my old bike, but it was nowhere near as bright as the 1/2 watt Smart lights. I can't find any information on how bright the B&M rear lights are, no lux measurements, and I can't find any reviews of them, at least, none that compare them to a 1/2 watt Smart light (which I had cobbled together to work with my new bike's dynamo, but I managed to break one of the very fragile solders I had made onto the circuit board near the LED, and it died). Are there any rear LED lights which use LEDs of comparable brightness to the Smart ones? I am thinking about buying a 1 watt Smart light, I didn't think they could get any brighter, but apparently they can! I may be able to wire it to my dynamo again, but it obviously means the light can't be used with batteries nor sold on, as it will have a hole in the bottom of the case for the cable to go through (once I've drilled one!).

It will probably be cheaper to buy a new complete battery led and wire it to the dynamo (if the operation voltage fits). But it might also be a good idea to buy a led unit from a place that sells electronics and wire it with new wires etc. The hardest part would probably be how to make a housing for it. Maybe an empty rear unit led case could be used.

For keeping it lit when the dynamo stops you could get a capacitor jammed in there and maybe a voltage regulator or something to keep the output constant.

Cree and Nichia both make 1watt leds. Dont know about the color of light they are emmiting but it will probably work fine to have white led with a red lens. There might be some reading needed for circuit voltage and for "flashing modes" and stuff some kind of circuit board will be probably needed.

Spanninga (a dutch bike light company) has lots of options for dynamo powered lights. Maybe they have some 1 watt options.