What is the cheapest price for a good new bike?

ashrick

Mar 4, 2016
I was just curious if anyone could give me the cheapest price a good new bike? Links would be greatly appreciated but are obviously not required, I just have kind of a price limit and am a bit curious as to what a good start would be. Thank you!

I have not really observed a decent bike for under $500.
You can get a Wally World special for under $500.
Wholly depends on what you are looking for too though.
Could you give us more insight as to what you are looking for in a bike and what you would use it for?

Reactions: byhu
Trek 7.1 FX, MSRP $439.99:
1320010_2016_A_1_7_1_FX

Nearly every other major brand has their own version of this bike, and they're all good.

And, you can go a little less expensive with a steel-framed MTB or something like it, but this is where the fun starts.

Reactions: applique
Trek 7.1 FX, MSRP $439.99:
1320010_2016_A_1_7_1_FX

Nearly every other major brand has their own version of this bike, and they're all good.

And, you can go a little less expensive with a steel-framed MTB or something like it, but this is where the fun starts.

That's a really reasonably priced 26lb bike, really can't go wrong with that one.

I was just curious if anyone could give me the cheapest price a good new bike? Links would be greatly appreciated but are obviously not required, I just have kind of a price limit and am a bit curious as to what a good start would be. Thank you!

Bike prices run from $100 to $20,000.

It is impossible to answer your question without knowing your price limit and what kind of bike you wish to buy.

My decent starts at $6000. Others decent starts at $600.

If you gave a price and type of bike, the best options could be offered.

Well, first we will need the definition of cheap from you. If you are thinking about 100$ then tough luck, you won't get anything decent. But if it can go up to 300$ you will really get best bang for the buck. Also, e would like to know the place too as it depends on Developed countries vs developing countries too.

I have a Trek 7.3 and love it! I think it is similar to the bike above, with some better components (and it cost a lot more!). We have found that American made bikes are of much better quality than foreign made. Even some of the better China made brands are just not as good. You end up spending more on cheap bikes because you have to replace them often. And bike shops usually won't fix them either.

Well, the 7.3 FX is made in China, but it's designed and spec'ed by engineers and marketing wizzes in Waterloo, Wisconsin, and manufactured under strong supervision by the best fabricators in Asia. I like the whole FX range for being practical, versatile, and fun. The 7.2 FX is Trek's best selling bike and the industry's best selling bike in this category.

Reactions: applique
I think that it really depends on how good you are at sniffing out deals, and certainly there is an element of luck and right place right time involved too. If you are buying from a store or a dealer be prepared to pay a little more, but if you can get one second hand then you can get a quality bike for a couple hundred dollars I would assume.

If this is going to be your first bike ever and new sport as well as a new exercise program that you're going to do after doing none for many years I would find a good used bike for around $250, why you scream? Because if you buy say a $1,200 bike (which is the sweat spot for a bike for most people) and you ride it for 6 months then stop then what you have is a $1,200 piece of garage art. On the flip side if you buy a $500 to $800 bike and do end up riding it a lot that bike will wear out fast and you'll be buying another in 5 years. So if you start out with a $250 Craigslist bike you won't have expensive garage art, and in 5 years when you're ready for a bike you haven't wasted $500 to $800 on a new one 5 years earlier. In the meantime while you ride the $250 Craigslist bike you can be saving money and in 5 years you could easily afford a $1,200 to $1,800 bike.

If price is a concern, consider buying a used bike off Craigslist or the like. There are so many lightly used bikes for sale out there. Many folks have visions of grandeur of buying a bike and riding and never do. They ride a few miles and then the bike sits in a garage or basement. I have found that there are many great bikes out there in almost new condition that need new homes. Find some classified ad bikes, do your homework on what they cost new and then go make an offer. You might get a fantastic deal.

Reactions: Uawadall
I got my "decent" road bike at 899$. Trek 1.1 C 2015 when it was brand new. It's considered an entry level racing bike but I love it. It handles like a charm! It might be a little more costlier than what you are looking for though.

I only know about great values, and road bikes. There are tons of used road bikes that are great values for the money, but you have to know what you're looking for. Generally good road bikes depreciate quickly, and bottom out at abut 1/3 of their MSRP, many times, less.
When those who are into the newest stuff upgrade, and there are a lot of them, you can pick up very good deals, either from them directly or via CL. eBay is a **** shoot, but at least on CL you can see the bike. I'd highly recommend you find an experienced rider in whatever type of bike you want, and solicit his/her advice over coffee or another beverage. Very often, you can learn a bit before you make a mistake.
I just sold, for example, a highly upgraded 2013 Felt AR3 for $1200, and another highly upgraded Cannondale Six13 for $800. I also have sold many an older steel bike for about half of those figures, but with modern components. All of them are good, it just depends on what you 1-need and 2-want.

PS: I've seen some closeout/clearance prices in bike shops on 2014-up CAAD 10's. Some real values there.

Well! I don't think that there's any price for your use.The most important thing is that you should be satisfied with what you bought but if you have really a limit then you should check online what's the best price for a bike and I think that you will get what you want under your budget.

It really depends on what you need it for. I would not go to Walmart, as I have heard their low cost bikes tend to be heavier than similar styles sold by actual bike shops. I would keep an eye out for a big sale. You might be able to go under $400 and get a pretty good bike IF you find something like year end clearance sale.

If money is a real object for you, consider a used bike from from a reputable bike shop. I know of several bike shops in my area that buy used bikes, refurbish them and sell them. These won't be like the old, potentially worn out, been collecting dust in the garage for years bikes you'll have to wade through on craigslist.

Well! it is dependent on your budget. How much you can afford it is dependent on that.
In the market, there is a huge range of rates for bikes and you can pick up any on your budget.
But the cheapest price for a good strong bike is $850 you can get it below this very price too.
Good luck.:)

You should actually give us a budget in order to search for the most adequate model for you, however there are many bikes between $100 + that you could try, you should give your local store a visit and realize by yourself since we do not actually know what you're really looking for and how much you're disposed to spend.

If price is a concern, consider buying a used bike off Craigslist or the like. There are so many lightly used bikes for sale out there. Many folks have visions of grandeur of buying a bike and riding and never do. They ride a few miles and then the bike sits in a garage or basement. I have found that there are many great bikes out there in almost new condition that need new homes. Find some classified ad bikes, do your homework on what they cost new and then go make an offer. You might get a fantastic deal.
I agree. Craigslist is an excellent place to find a nice bike that suits your purposes and will cost you much less than buying brand new. Take someone who is experienced with bike brands, so they can help you evaluate whether you are getting a good deal/good bike or not. Often times a seller will post on Craigslist with a certain price in mind and will even lower the price point just to make the sale.

I firmly believe that if you want quality, you can't skimp on price. You may think that these prices are overkill, but to be honest they really justify the price with the materials used and the quality of the product in general.

Reactions: pwarbi
While I understand where you're coming from as regards to not skimping on the price, I do think a lot also depends on how much you use the bike and to what level your riding ability is at.

There's no point in buying a $3000 bike that you'll use to go to the corner store on once a month, when you can buy one that will do the same job for you for $500 instead