What is the correct number of reps/sets?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by BodyBuilder, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. BodyBuilder

    BodyBuilder Guest

    I would like to build maximum muscle strength and size. I don't care
    about definition. Also, I work out 3 days a week. I do all execises
    every day. Should I do only certain specific exercises per day? For
    example, just the upper body Tuesday and lower body Thursday?

    Tags:

  2. JamesG

    JamesG Guest

    BB,
    In my experience if you have three days a week to work out I would
    suggest splitting your body up so that your body parts have longer to
    rest. The longer rest leads to greater strength and mass gains for me.
    I have split my workouts into a chest/tricep workout and a back/leg
    workout. This makes sense to me since exercises such as power cleans
    and deadlift use legs and back. I also do what I call a random workout
    around once a week when my buddies can't make it to the gym which
    includes abs, torso, neck, stretching, etc. The split also allows you
    to focus greater intensity on the parts you are working which is useful
    for the goals that you mentioned. These are my opinions.

    James

  3. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "BodyBuilder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I would like to build maximum muscle strength and size. I don't care
    > about definition. Also, I work out 3 days a week. I do all execises
    > every day. Should I do only certain specific exercises per day? For
    > example, just the upper body Tuesday and lower body Thursday?

    google hypertrophy specific training.

  4. BodyBuilder

    BodyBuilder Guest

    Actually, my main question was about rep/sets. I started with 1 warmup
    set of 6 reps and 3 sets of as many reps as possible. How many rep/sets
    should I do? I would really appreciate an answer.

    Thanks.

  5. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "BodyBuilder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Actually, my main question was about rep/sets. I started with 1 warmup
    > set of 6 reps and 3 sets of as many reps as possible. How many rep/sets
    > should I do? I would really appreciate an answer.
    >
    > Thanks.

    reps and sets are discussed thoroughly on the HST site. It's a program
    that, as is as it name implies, hypertrophy specific.

    You'll enjoy the site. I promise.

  6. "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "BodyBuilder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Actually, my main question was about rep/sets. I started with 1 warmup
    > > set of 6 reps and 3 sets of as many reps as possible. How many rep/sets
    > > should I do? I would really appreciate an answer.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > reps and sets are discussed thoroughly on the HST site. It's a program
    > that, as is as it name implies, hypertrophy specific.
    >
    > You'll enjoy the site. I promise.

    READ??? Damn, that sounds like work, just tell him how many to do!!!

  7. BodyBuilder wrote:

    > I would like to build maximum muscle strength and size.

    Pick one you want more. You can't train optimally trying to
    do both limit strength and mass building.

    > I don't care about definition.

    That's largely a matter of low bodyfat and diet vs. how one
    works out.

    > Also, I work out 3 days a week. I do all execises
    > every day. Should I do only certain specific exercises per day?

    Mostly yes for a given workout. Consider a split routine with
    4 workouts a week. See these links for ideas.

    http://www.stumptuous.com/program.html
    http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/martinroutines.html

    Full body workouts along the lines of what you're doing can work too.
    See the link below for that.
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_artcls_trainingfreq.html

  8. Spammers_Should_Be_Shot wrote:
    > "Jay" wrote
    >>"BodyBuilder" wrote

    >>>Actually, my main question was about rep/sets. I started with 1 warmup
    >>>set of 6 reps and 3 sets of as many reps as possible. How many rep/sets
    >>>should I do? I would really appreciate an answer.

    >>reps and sets are discussed thoroughly on the HST site. It's a program
    >>that, as is as it name implies, hypertrophy specific.
    >>
    >>You'll enjoy the site. I promise.

    > READ??? Damn, that sounds like work, just tell him how many to do!!!

    Yep, spoon feeding is easy on the eater..

  9. T

    T Guest

    BodyBuilder wrote:

    > I would like to build maximum muscle strength and size. I don't care
    > about definition. Also, I work out 3 days a week. I do all execises
    > every day. Should I do only certain specific exercises per day? For
    > example, just the upper body Tuesday and lower body Thursday?

    No.

    Squats and milk, dude; 20-reppers if you have the stones for them.

  10. T

    T Guest

    BodyBuilder wrote:

    > Actually, my main question was about rep/sets. I started with 1 warmup
    > set of 6 reps and 3 sets of as many reps as possible. How many rep/sets
    > should I do? I would really appreciate an answer.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Actually no it wasn't.

    One hard set is enough;

    www.hypertrophy-specific.com

  11. T

    T Guest

    Jeff Finlayson wrote:

    > BodyBuilder wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to build maximum muscle strength and size.

    > Pick one you want more. You can't train optimally trying to
    > do both limit strength and mass building.

    He can for a while; beginners are lucky like that. Won't have to start making
    choices for months, probably.

    >> I don't care about definition.

    > That's largely a matter of low bodyfat and diet vs. how one
    > works out.
    >
    >> Also, I work out 3 days a week. I do all execises
    >> every day. Should I do only certain specific exercises per day?

    > Mostly yes for a given workout. Consider a split routine with
    > 4 workouts a week. See these links for ideas.
    >
    > http://www.stumptuous.com/program.html
    > http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/martinroutines.html
    >
    > Full body workouts along the lines of what you're doing can work too.
    > See the link below for that.
    > http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_artcls_trainingfreq.html

  12. JMW

    JMW Guest

    T <[email protected]> wrote:

    >BodyBuilder wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to build maximum muscle strength and size. I don't care
    >> about definition. Also, I work out 3 days a week. I do all execises
    >> every day. Should I do only certain specific exercises per day? For
    >> example, just the upper body Tuesday and lower body Thursday?

    >No.

    Why not?

    >Squats and milk, dude

    Sounds like a Charles Atlas program.

    >20-reppers if you have the stones for them.

    Why?

  13. T wrote:
    > Jeff Finlayson wrote:
    >> BodyBuilder wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to build maximum muscle strength and size.

    >> Pick one you want more. You can't train optimally trying to
    >> do both limit strength and mass building [for non-beginners].

    > He can for a while; beginners are lucky like that. Won't have to start
    > making choices for months, probably.

    True. But BodyBuilder may be somewhat new but not a beginner any more.

    >>> I don't care about definition.

    >> That's largely a matter of low bodyfat and diet vs. how one
    >> works out.
    >>
    >>> Also, I work out 3 days a week. I do all execises
    >>> every day. Should I do only certain specific exercises per day?

    >> Mostly yes for a given workout. Consider a split routine with
    >> 4 workouts a week. See these links for ideas.
    >>
    >> http://www.stumptuous.com/program.html
    >> http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/martinroutines.html
    >>
    >> Full body workouts along the lines of what you're doing can work too.
    >> See the link below for that.
    >> http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_artcls_trainingfreq.html

  14. Straightforwardly, old-fashioned, tried and true, devoid of scientific
    jargon and sophistry:

    Three primary excercises -pushing, pulling, and squatting- each perfomed
    once per week with at least one days rest between workouts. Five sets of
    five reps, more or less. Go at it hard and eat plenty. That's about 90%
    of all there is to it.