What is the difference between the Crankbrothers Egg Beater pedals?

Ricitius

Jul 26, 2005
Other than just the type of material it's made from(steel, titanium, chromoly)? Thankyou kindly for reading this.

Ricitius said:
Other than just the type of material it's made from(steel, titanium, chromoly)? Thankyou kindly for reading this.
Nothing. Of course the type of material affects pedal weight, durability, and max rider weight.

Scotty_Dog said:
Nothing. Of course the type of material affects pedal weight, durability, and max rider weight.

So- a base model Eggbeater C (all steel) , is just as durable(just as good bearings) as the top end model(all Ti.) that sells for over $200 ???

Adam-from-SLO said:
So- a base model Eggbeater C (all steel) , is just as durable(just as good bearings) as the top end model(all Ti.) that sells for over $200 ???

yup.. and the chrome steel, being cheapest is actually the strongest pedal.

Insight Driver said:
yup.. and the chrome steel, being cheapest is actually the strongest pedal.
Holy smokes! Are you kidding me? That sounds too good to be true. So you are only paying for less ounces after the chrome steel version?

Another question, does anyone know of a good cycling shoe? I ride my mountain bicycle everywhere, I figure I would be more comfortable wearing cycling shoes. I don't care about having the lightest shoes on the market, since I'm not racing or anything. Thanks for reading.

Ricitius said:
Holy smokes! Are you kidding me? That sounds too good to be true. So you are only paying for less ounces after the chrome steel version?
And the shiny gold titanium nitride finish.

Ricitius said:
Holy smokes! Are you kidding me? That sounds too good to be true.
Chrome steel can rust. I've heard complaints of the older chrome version becoming squeaky over time, but don't know if that still holds true. I have the stainless version on my bike and have no complaints.

Has anyone used the Adidas Marathon MTB shoe? I'm wondering if it feels and fits well? I am thinking about going to a bigger bicycle store in town that has a variety of cycling shoes to try them on before I purchase anything online. Bad thing is that these people are so snobby :(

Ricitius said:
Has anyone used the Adidas Marathon MTB shoe? I'm wondering if it feels and fits well? I am thinking about going to a bigger bicycle store in town that has a variety of cycling shoes to try them on before I purchase anything online. Bad thing is that these people are so snobby :(

Not so sure about the shoes(I'll never by Adidas street shoes again :( ) . As for the snobby situation.... most LBS take it to heart when someone off the streets walks into there shop, simply to check out a product- then goes elsewhere to buy the product(usually it has to do with getting it for a lower $$). It can be there lively hood at stake- ultimately.... and ultimately-ultimately if LBS are loosing sales, the go out of business.... and the business owner takes up something else, or moves location. This country is founded on Capitalizm...... Competition for goods in the market place , PERIOD. There are several/muliple online cycling retailers that may have no over-head, no workers wages expense, etc. ....... which also puts them at an advantage. However, the LBS will always rake in the profits generated from LABOR on customers bicycles(tune ups , wheel builds, etc.) . It can be a tough business to be in (competition wise) . The larger town that I live next to.... there are 3 bicycle shops(2 are owned by the same entity), its a college town so Jan. / April / June /Sept. bikes sell well. Oct.-Dec. can be very slow(I'm suspecting).

Dont be too down about the LBS thing.. they have a job to do, and there just looking out for #1

Ricitius said:
if any store is snobby, no problem trying them out there and buying elsewhere. no one should be snobby.

laffingbilly said:
if any store is snobby, no problem trying them out there and buying elsewhere. no one should be snobby.

It could be the origional poster took there gestures as being "snobby"- which everyone has there own opinion of what "snobby" is. Basically, LBS workers know when someone is coming in there to possibly try things on - and buy elsewhere , vs. locals who come there and actually spend money- each and every time.

I personally spend occational money w/ 2 different LBS's in a 40 mile radius (typically on smaller stuff- tubes, etc. stuff under $30 usually- and that includes a wheel build ;) ) Years ago, I did buy a pair of "demo" Sidi road shoes from a LBS- and paid about $190 ... OUCH :( ....... but that was back in 1996, kinda pre-Ebay, etc. ........... where I could have today bought the same shoes on Ebay- even slightly used/ new for $60-120

They are the biggest shop/store here in Austin, Texas. I tend to shop for everything at this small shop, Southside Bicycle (Where I bought my sweet KHS hardtail!). It's well known in the community that this place is rather... you know, but that's beside the point.

Ahem... Why were the Adidas cycling shoes bad? Fit? Durability?

The Adidas street shoes I have(glued back several times) , the tread on the bottom seperated from the sole- from front to mid-point on one shoe, and the other shoes tread came up in different places. They are like 2002 shoes... but this is after wearing them during the first 6 months, or so.

Not so sure on road /MTB shoes. Actually, about 6-7 years ago, I did buy some low end Adidas road shoes through Nashbar...... a dog/animal came along during the night, and took one of the shoes off my front door step :( ;)

Adam-from-SLO said:
Not so sure on road /MTB shoes. Actually, about 6-7 years ago, I did buy some low end Adidas road shoes through Nashbar...... a dog/animal came along during the night, and took one of the shoes off my front door step :( ;)

I can picture an animal walking around with an Adidas mtb shoe in it's mouth. I can't believe that happened.

Adam-from-SLO said:
The Adidas street shoes I have(glued back several times) , the tread on the bottom seperated from the sole- from front to mid-point on one shoe, and the other shoes tread came up in different places. They are like 2002 shoes... but this is after wearing them during the first 6 months, or so.

I have Shimano moutain bike shoes, I think M55 model (mid-range). I've had them for about a year now. I can walk comfortably in them all day. The cleats are recessed. I've used Time Atac and Cranckbrothers Eggbeater cleats on the shoes with no interference problem. The shoes are durable and comfortable for me.

Ricitius said:
I can picture an animal walking around with an Adidas mtb shoe in it's mouth. I can't believe that happened.

Yeah, and that animal probably burried the shoe somewhere. It kinda sucks.. cause I had a Onza HO cleat on the bottom... now its gone forever ! I'd rather have the cleat back, then the shoe. One of my nick-names is "Adamil"... sounds like animal :)

Adam-from-SLO said:
Yeah, and that animal probably burried the shoe somewhere. It kinda sucks.. cause I had a Onza HO cleat on the bottom... now its gone forever ! I'd rather have the cleat back, then the shoe. One of my nick-names is "Adamil"... sounds like animal :)
Hilarious. I wonder why the animal chose that shoe, why not the other or anything else out there?

I just got my Egg Beaters in, and I read the instruction page that came with it. It mentioned that if you place the cleat with the two cirlces on the right shoe you will be able to clip out faster? How does one cleat dictate the use of both shoes? I'm a little confused about that. I've never used clipless pedals before.

Ricitius said:
How does one cleat dictate the use of both shoes?
Well, by process of elimination the other cleat probably goes on the opposite shoe. Eggbeater pedals are asymetrical, so if you put the cleat with the dots on the right shoe they release at a 15 degree angle. If it's on the left they release at a 20 degree angle.