What is the Entry Fee/Requirements for Tour de France?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bill Poole, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. Bill Poole

    Bill Poole Guest

    I am new to this forum, I don't know if this has been discussed already
    here, but.... watching the coverage of TdF, I began to wonder:

    how does a team enter TdF? I presume I can't dig up a few friends and go
    ride TdF!

    I would guess that the event is invitational or requires qualification or
    has a enhorbitant entry fee, otherwise, every cyclist in the world would be
    riding.

    Does anyone know, just for curiosity and discussion, just exactly HOW the
    participants get to ride in TdF?

    thanks and good riding...

    --
    - - -
    Bill Poole

    Tags:

  2. Andre

    Andre Guest

    Teams are invited based on the number of UCI points amassed by its riders.
    Typically, most of the teams are Div 1. As far as I know, there is no entry
    fee.

    --
    --------------------------
    Andre Charlebois

    news:[email protected]

  3. Andre <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Teams are invited based on the number of UCI points amassed by its riders.
    > Typically, most of the teams are Div 1. As far as I know, there is no entry
    > fee.

    U can also apply for a wildcard - unfortunately this danish team
    didn't sucseed <http://www.dr.dk/skum/angora/>

    ;-)

    --
    Morten Reippuert Knudsen :) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

    PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB Disk, 8x DVD+/-RW, Bluetooth mus
    + tastatur, FX5200 Ultra, iSight, eyeTV200 & Lacie Photon18Vision (TFT).

  4. vern

    vern Guest

    I read a while back the fee was in the "10s of thousands" per team. Wish I
    could remember where/when. Add that to the hugh fees charged by the UCI for
    Trade Team status and it aint cheap......

    "Morten Reippuert Knudsen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Andre <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Teams are invited based on the number of UCI points amassed by its

    riders.
    > > Typically, most of the teams are Div 1. As far as I know, there is no

    entry
    > > fee.

    > U can also apply for a wildcard - unfortunately this danish team
    > didn't sucseed <http://www.dr.dk/skum/angora/>
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Morten Reippuert Knudsen :) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>
    >
    > PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB Disk, 8x DVD+/-RW, Bluetooth mus
    > + tastatur, FX5200 Ultra, iSight, eyeTV200 & Lacie Photon18Vision (TFT).

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "vern" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I read a while back the fee was in the "10s of thousands" per team. Wish

    > could remember where/when. Add that to the hugh fees charged by the UCI

    for
    > Trade Team status and it aint cheap......

    It actually can change from year to year as well. Sometimes the organizers
    charge for certain expenses too. Think about it though, if ASO charges
    10,000 but does not charge for hotels (or other large expenses) then this is
    clearly not a profit center but merely a way for ASO to shift *some* of the
    costs back to the teams. Also remember that ASO is a corporation intending
    on making a profit, and as much profit as possible.

  6. "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "vern" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I read a while back the fee was in the "10s of thousands" per team. Wish

    > > could remember where/when. Add that to the hugh fees charged by the UCI

    > for
    > > Trade Team status and it aint cheap......

    > It actually can change from year to year as well. Sometimes the organizers
    > charge for certain expenses too. Think about it though, if ASO charges
    > 10,000 but does not charge for hotels (or other large expenses) then this is
    > clearly not a profit center but merely a way for ASO to shift *some* of the
    > costs back to the teams. Also remember that ASO is a corporation intending
    > on making a profit, and as much profit as possible.

    A few years back the ASO was charging 30,000$ I believe. It's a lot of
    money but the ASO provides a lot of benefits. Normally the ASO
    provides meals and lodging, and team sponsored vehicles. They also
    provide placards and for the inidividual riders for the TT's. The TDF
    is still a huge public relations success for many companies. I was a
    bit suprised to see that Coca-Cola pulled out this year.

    Some riders complain that they are required to stay in offical tdf
    designated accomodations. I remember that Lemond complained that they
    were staying college dormitories. There has also been complaints about
    the meals provided by the tour organization. I noticed that more teams
    have there own cooks this year.

  7. Charles Hizark wrote:

    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>"vern" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>I read a while back the fee was in the "10s of thousands" per team. Wish

    >>>could remember where/when. Add that to the hugh fees charged by the UCI

    >> for
    >>
    >>>Trade Team status and it aint cheap......

    >>It actually can change from year to year as well. Sometimes the organizers
    >>charge for certain expenses too. Think about it though, if ASO charges
    >>10,000 but does not charge for hotels (or other large expenses) then this is
    >>clearly not a profit center but merely a way for ASO to shift *some* of the
    >>costs back to the teams. Also remember that ASO is a corporation intending
    >>on making a profit, and as much profit as possible.

    > A few years back the ASO was charging 30,000$ I believe. It's a lot of
    > money but the ASO provides a lot of benefits. Normally the ASO
    > provides meals and lodging, and team sponsored vehicles. They also
    > provide placards and for the inidividual riders for the TT's. The TDF
    > is still a huge public relations success for many companies. I was a
    > bit suprised to see that Coca-Cola pulled out this year.
    >
    > Some riders complain that they are required to stay in offical tdf
    > designated accomodations. I remember that Lemond complained that they
    > were staying college dormitories. There has also been complaints about
    > the meals provided by the tour organization. I noticed that more teams
    > have there own cooks this year.

    The ASO picked up a couple races because they were going broke and some
    of the money they raise probably helps keep them afloat until they can
    get back into the black. Wasn't Paris-Tours one of them?