What is the evidence that training with power is superior to . . .

grahamspringett said:
I'll have one! Got a 2.4 on 28s? I'm planning on doing the Tour of Bright and reckon the 32km mountain climb needs a lighter PT than my current squeeze...

As for the original post, why ask if there's evidence to support the use of power meters? If you want to use one, do so. If you want to just ride lots, do so. It's a free world.
You know Frank manufactures cranks with the SRM power meter installed, right?

Just sayin'.

Alex Simmons said:
Any good deals? :D:D;)
****, I have 5 already:p
You have one for uphill, downhill, flat, hot weather, cold weather and one for the trainer.... all calibrated for each specific 'condition'! :p

swampy1970 said:
You know Frank manufactures cranks with the SRM power meter installed, right?
Which makes this whole thread a very good reason not to trust the guy and his product. Gets the award for worst marketing exercise of the year. Wonder how many people on Cycling Forum who may have thought they were a good idea and have seen the light. I bet 20-30. Any other bids?

.... or we could just read the endless number of threads about people who have problems with their powermeters. ;)

fergie said:
Which makes this whole thread a very good reason not to trust the guy and his product. Gets the award for worst marketing exercise of the year. Wonder how many people on Cycling Forum who may have thought they were a good idea and have seen the light. I bet 20-30. Any other bids?
Ah, you're just catching on to this fact - pity that I not only posted this info on page 1 but I also posted a whopping big picture of said piece of kit!

fergie said:
Which makes this whole thread a very good reason not to trust the guy and his product. Gets the award for worst marketing exercise of the year.
I don't know, maybe this thread will become a reference that get's used whenever that awkward question get's raised - I bought these cranks but I haven't seen any improvement in my FTP?

Well son, take a read here http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-460474-15-1.html, there is no proof that measuring improvement in power is an indication of an improvement in performance. But, take a look at http://www.powercranks.com/ and see what all the athletes that use them have to say - that is the real proof.

swampy1970 said:
Ah, you're just catching on to this fact - pity that I not only posted this info on page 1 but I also posted a whopping big picture of said piece of kit!
Yeah, so from day one was thinking is this guy for real?

So what problems with Powermeters would you like to discuss? I maintain my Powertaps (have two) very well, keep them zeroed and regularly change the Batteries. Never had a problem with them.

While my training programes do not vary between power meter users and those without it is a far more effective way of tracking training and making sure riders are training specifically.

Most problems are user error. I should have had a rest day but instead went out and trained hard again so will need two rest days now and will miss the first Winter night time XC race. Guess my fat belly will stay that way for a wee bit longer.

Bruce Diesel said:
I don't know, maybe this thread will become a reference that get's used whenever that awkward question get's raised - I bought these cranks but I haven't seen any improvement in my FTP?

Well son, take a read here http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-460474-15-1.html, there is no proof that measuring improvement in power is an indication of an improvement in performance. But, take a look at http://www.powercranks.com/ and see what all the athletes that use them have to say - that is the real proof.
The caveat being that anyone who reads this thread would see through Frank's bluff and trolling. Of course, seeing how Frank is continuing to dig the hole he is in deeper and deeper, he could well adopt this thinking that it is a great marketing strategy. ;)

TheDarkLord said:
The caveat being that anyone who reads this thread would see through Frank's bluff and trolling. Of course, seeing how Frank is continuing to dig the hole he is in deeper and deeper, he could well adopt this thinking that it is a great marketing strategy. ;)
I would disagree. I think a better marketing strategy for a product without any real evidence it is superior to specific training would to be to keep the technical side of things pretty low key. I would push the novelty aspect, get a few high profile names to use them and waffle on how hard it was using them and highlight the part of their comments where they say they felt it made them go faster.

Certainly the people who frequent this forum like to think through their equipment and training decisions. So coming here with a product that doesn't make one faster on the bike and making naive claims about the efficacy of power meters is a marketing disaster.

I would have stuck with the infomercial. Plenty of schmucks out they who will part with their dosh looking for the "secret to success".

Personally I think I lose business with an adherence to training specificity and sound conditioning principles. People always think there is some magic that is the reason the other guy is beating them! Get fit then get race specific fast isn't enough for them.

My suggestion is that Frank stays clear of any forum that Andy C posts to:D

swampy1970 said:
.... or we could just read the endless number of threads about people who have problems with their powermeters. ;)

Beats reading about broken PowerCrank clutchs. :p

acoggan said:
Beats reading about broken PowerCrank clutchs. :p
I got da lockout feature to hook me up with the ride home :)

Besides, I can't ride out of the saddle yet - so those 1000watt clutch killing sprints are still some time off. I'd end up face down in a drainage ditch yelling obscenities in my native "Boltonian" accent.

Over on Slowtwitch where I see Frank is quite busy pushing PCs to the uneducated masses who think pulling up on the bike will improve their running.

Another guy was having oxygenated water at $2 a bottle pushed on him.

Everyone who tries these products feels they are faster. Thinking about this if I had shelled out mega dollars on a product (and $2 for something that comes from a tap is mega dollars) I would improve simply because I will try harder to justify my purchase.

Same as a Powermeter. I know train harder when I need to as I know just how hard I need to ride. With TrainingPeaks I know how much I am improving and with the Performance Manager I know when to back off. Over out winter by trying to stay above a certain training stress balance score I seem to be on top of my immune system issues.

With the riders I coach is it my wizz bang programmes or that if someone is paying for coaching that they will be working harder then by just riding and doing what they feel like? Having riders use Power meters I can tell them if they are working hard enough. One rider doing a hill course in 1hr 14min by herself or 1hr 4min when I sent her out with other riders.

Or another squatting 100kg in the gym with me spotting her or 40kg by herself.

But training to become better at using PCs or taking oxygenated water, give me a break.

Fday said:
training with any other effort/intensity feedback system such as HR, perceived exertion, stopwatch, etc.

I have been asking this on slowtwitch and the best I can ascertain from the replies the so-called evidence to support these devices and this method of training is entirely anecdotal. Thought I would ask here.
You want evidence. All I can say is Marco Pantani and Frank Vandenbrouke. Two power meter pioneers. Enough said. Peace out y'all.

Jeff Vader said:
You want evidence. All I can say is Marco Pantani and Frank Vandenbrouke. Two power meter pioneers. Enough said. Peace out y'all.
But you give any rider a powermeter and tell them that you will check their data at the end of the ride they are not going to slack around.

In 2005 the NZ Track Team took an Exercise Physiologist with them to Altitude in Mexico before they headed to Worlds in LA. He took blood profiles and was analysing the power data. One rider was cut from the Teams Pursuit as they predicted he would come down with a cold.

But that is what a power meter does: measure!

It doesn't ride the bike for you. Neither do PCs. But having shelled out megabucks on your new toy you will put in some extra effort to justify the expense.

This is where power meters earn their keep telling you how hard you are going where PCs havent yet shown they make you a faster cyclist especially when you don't race with them.

Can anyone site a scientific paper that "proves" that round wheels are better than square ones?

None of this anecdotal evidence either.

Would rather research ways of making the bike go faster. Which PCs have failed to prove yet!

fergie said:
Would rather research ways of making the bike go faster. Which PCs have failed to prove yet!
Well, it would seem that "training with power" suffers from the same "lack of proof". Someone ought to do some research, don't you think? At least PC's are trying to get the research done regarding their benefits. Who is working on this aspect?