What Is The Farthest You've Ever Biked?

I noticed a couple of you have short 5 and 16 miles is the farthest, ask any of those 24 hour riders how many miles they did when they first got started in cycling, these things take time. I have a limit, I can't ever, even in my prime when I use to race, see myself, nor wanted to sit in a saddle for 24 hours cranking out huge miles, it's just not who I am. But I started out short too once at probably 1 mile, so don't feel embarrassed by doing some short small mileage thing, we've all been there, and eventually you move upward in the mileage department and settle on a max distance that is comfortable for you.

I have cycled upto 50miles to and fro. It made me tired that I have never tried that again. Lately I do cycle till I can get exhausted then I go back home.

I estimate that I did regular weekend rides into the countryside of up to 10 miles total, so 5 there and 5 back, when I was in my late teens.

I went through a phase where I rode to a bridge over a motorway, then cycled along to find the next one, and then the next once I had found that one. It was pretty good fun if I'm honest.

Longest tour was 2200 miles+ of Ireland, Wales and parts of England.

The longest single day ride on a geared bike was 200 miles. I lived .5 miles from The Natchez Trace Parkway in mid-TN. So a friend of mine and I did a 100 down, 100 back. It was pretty flat. Only 300+ vertical feet of climbing on the way back.

Did a 150 mile fixed-gear ride on the same route w/t same friend...at night. It was a full moon night in early fall. Unbelievable amount of light. We had plenty of lighting, but never used any of it. Except for the rear red blinkies. Night cycling is phenomenal. We started at dusk and once it got dark we were passed by maybe 10 cars.

Reactions: limerickman
I have never been really far, I love cycling but get tired and sore sitting on a bike for more than 2-3 hours at a time! But probably the longest was a 20 mile round trip :) Very rewarding once completed though!

Covering quite hilly and mountainous terrain, I rode 153 miles in one day.

My previous best had been 128 miles but because I got lost (at time long before GPS etc) on a particular route, for this spin I ended up doing about 20 miles further than I had planned.

About 70 miles with a small group, we biked to the next town over, through some beautiful farmland and countryside, had a picnic lunch, and then biked back home again. It was a beautiful day and not too long of a ride, especially with a little break in the middle.

When my friends are available we go on a weekend trip using our bikes as means of transportation. We do that for fun and adventure although we are not aware how far the distance we had travelled we are pretty sure it was far enough as we go from one place to another.

The longest and farthest distance I've ever biked was in my estimate, around 200 km. in a single day. We were biking in a group and we started around dawn when it was still pretty dark, and we arrived at our destination at around 3 pm. in the afternoon.. So, it was a 11-12 hour ride. We rode through steep mountain roads, with dangerous downhill stretches with hanging cliffs and challenging zig-zag road climbs. It felt really good when we finished that ride.

Wow! You guys are an amazing machines! I would love to do long rides as well with cycling. I need to plan though for that and hope to experience riding that far like a 200 km ride is insanely far. I'm really looking forward to doing that and it seems like it's gonna be a fun and and adventurous ride.

Marako, the question was asked what was the furthest we've EVER biked, I did my 158 miles when I was about 45 years old, I'm now 65, I'm not the machine I once was, in fact I'm a long ways from that time period. The longest I've rode in the past 2 years was 100 miles and it wasn't a world record pace! LOL!! What's weird is that 100 mile ride I did was easier than the first time I took a short 38 mile camping bike ride with an additional 60 pounds of weight which was also last year.

But Marako, if you ever want to do a long ride YOU CAN DO IT! of course you have to slowly train up for it but it isn't impossible IF your dedicated to get to say 100 miles. In fact depending on your age and any physical impairments you could be doing a 100 mile ride in about 6 to 12 weeks depending on how much you ride now. Here is a website that has a 100 mile training schedule, this schedule does assume you can ride at least 30 miles in a day, so the first week is based on a Saturday being able to do 30 miles. The secret to that is to follow the program to the letter even if you think you can do more because it's design to prevent injury. If you can't currently do 30 miles in a day let me know and I can add however many weeks i think you need at the beginning and lay out those first week or two or three for you to follow and then you follow the schedule. Anyway see this: http://www.kintera.org/htmlcontent.asp?cid=54755 Then after you do your 100 miles tell us so we can call you a machine! LOL!!! We're all machines, but we're machines that can be taught to improve.

Reactions: Marako0406
Thanks really for the tip my friend. Actually I'm a noob here and trying to get to start cycling by maybe earlier the end of this year I think and there will be a long way to go to train to be able to do the farthest I can cycle. For now I am just reading and getting some tips here to be able to plan through what I want to achieve with cycling. I am still young and I think I can do the 100 mile haha but I need more time and training. Will check the link you gave me. Thanks once again and I really appreciate it.

Thanks really for the tip my friend. Actually I'm a noob here and trying to get to start cycling by maybe earlier the end of this year I think and there will be a long way to go to train to be able to do the farthest I can cycle. For now I am just reading and getting some tips here to be able to plan through what I want to achieve with cycling. I am still young and I think I can do the 100 mile haha but I need more time and training. Will check the link you gave me. Thanks once again and I really appreciate it.

No problem, but remember WE (plural) are ALL here to help you, if you have any questions about nutrition, or like I said you need a slower start on the schedule, etc let US (plural) know. We've all been where your at, some maybe a lot worse position then your at, but with dedication, a lot of us sought guidance, we've moved onward and upward, and so can you if you really want to.

Is it hard work? YES IT IS! but so is life, and usually anything you do that will improve your future seems to be always the toughest (hardest work) to do, like going to college, saving up money for retirement while you're struggling trying to raise a family, exercising, etc, but the dividends you get in the long run make it all worthwhile.

Reactions: Marako0406
Yup I won't hesitate to ask you guys on anything about cycling stuff that I need to learn. It's great to know that you guys are here to help new ones like me. Thanks really.

After seeing the interesting places many of you have gone on your bicycles, I'm curious: what is the longest distance you have ever biked? Was it for an event? Did you have a specific destination in mind? Who were you with?

I personally have never biked any great distance, but that doesn't mean that I'm not curious about the rest of you.

Farthest away from home was Bali. Longest trip was about 1200km in Cuba. Rode from east to west (Santiago de Cuba to Havana) and bunch of cycling in the middle of the country too. Great place to bike!

I've cycled coast to coast across Canada. It added up to almost 9,500 km over exactly 100 days. The most I've cycled in one day was 250 km on a 1970's road bike. I did that two days in a row.