What is the fastest clincher tire ( tyre) ?

edd

Jul 8, 2003
......that won't go flat 30 minutes into a ride ?

I figured ultra gatorskins for training...

for TT which tire, don't tell me tubular, mabe when we get really, really serious...

Okay.. suggestions anyone ?

Originally posted by edd

for TT which tire, don't tell me tubular, mabe when we get really, really serious...

Okay.. suggestions anyone ?

You are really walking a fine line trying to find a bullet proof TT but for fast TT you will want low rolling resistance and should look for tyres that will take high pressures. Look at Conti's GP Supersonic, Mich's Pro Race Light, or Vittoria's Ultra Speed. (And pump 'em up!)

The ones that's on the bike that's going by you at the finish line!

Sorry - I just couldn't resist ;)

Cipher's right; it's impossible to determine what a given person's idea of that proper balance (between durability and lightweight, fast-rolling performance) is. There are lots of fast, light, sexy tires in the $40-$60 USD range. How long they last under normal use is going to be up for fierce debate...

Personally, I like Vredestein Fortezza TriComps and Michelin ProRaces. I've had good luck with each. The last pair of ProRaces I used ran for 2000 miles over all kinds of road with zero flats; I've got about 1000 miles on my current TriComps and they're looking good.

Some of this, of course, is good luck. That and keeping the PSI up.

Originally posted by Joe90
The ones that's on the bike that's going by you at the finish line!

Sorry - I just couldn't resist ;)

Thanks for that guys !

AND for Joe90... there is just so many bikes and so many different tyres that go by me.... it's really no help to just going looking, thanks anyway !

Check-out the Tufo clincher/tubulars. They mount on a clincher rim. They are FAST rolling. If you use the sealant, they are very well protected against flats. They aren't cheap, but if you look around you can find a deal.

Speaking of Tufo tyres..Anyone know where to get thim in the UK?I've looked high and low with no luck.Also once they puncture, can you repair them?I know the sealent will fix the hole but what about your next puncture?

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX tyres are nice. Great ride, very fast. But, they are rather delicate, so save them for race day.

Panaracer stradius race. grip like crazy, plenty light, and wear like iron, can race and train on them

Originally posted by edd

For a time trial if youre going to hit something that'll give you a puncture you'll get it on any tire, so go for the lightest tire you can. Conti supersonics (140g in a 20mm +/-) are damn fast but you'll get very low mileage, Vittoria ultraspeed (145g in a 20 mm +/-) are meant to feel like a single and are only a smidge heavier than the supersonic (never used them though). Veloflex record (130g in a 20mm) are used by a few of the juniors at the track carnivals here and seem to be pretty good. Hope that helps

Veloflex is the fastest I have riden by a long shot. Aint bullet proof though....but fast. Definatly wouldnt train on em. Just race. Did I mention they where fast? I mean really fast? To put it in perspective I train on Rubino Pro's, Race clubies on Michie Pro lite and big races I pull out the Veloflex. going from Michie to Velo's is a HUGE lift.

I am glad to hear this as i just bought a pair of veloflex master for next track season. they were on special i think i paid about $50aus each for them. I know they arent the top model but surely they will be fast nonetheless at 170gm and 145psi.