what is the fifference between a white chowder and a bisque?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Lawrence Gilbur, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. I wass thinking about soups the other day, well, ok, i think about soup every day cause I love
    it....and wondered what the difference between a chowder and a bisque was? any ideas....talking
    about cream based or white chowders here...thanks... LG

    Tags:

  2. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Lawrence Gilburtson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s54...
    > I wass thinking about soups the other day, well, ok, i think about soup every day cause I love
    > it....and wondered what the difference between a chowder and a bisque was? any ideas....talking
    > about cream based or white chowders here...thanks... LG

    Different words, essentially the same meaning; a rich and hearty soup, often of seafood.

  3. Erica

    Erica Guest

    "Lawrence Gilburtson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s54...
    > I wass thinking about soups the other day, well, ok, i think about soup every day cause I love
    > it....and wondered what the difference between a chowder and a bisque was? any ideas....talking
    > about cream based or white chowders here...thanks... LG

    From Gastronomique:

    BISQUE: A seasoned shellfish puree seasoned with white wine, Cognac, and double (heavy) cream, used
    as the basis of a soup. The flesh of the main ingredient (crayfish, lobster, or crab) is diced as
    for a salpicon and used as a garnish. The shells are also used to make the initial puree.

    Chowders are chunky, bisques are pureed.

    --Erica

  4. On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:07:44 GMT, "Lawrence Gilburtson"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I wass thinking about soups the other day, well, ok, i think about soup every day cause I love
    >it....and wondered what the difference between a chowder and a bisque was? any ideas....talking
    >about cream based or white chowders here...thanks... LG

    My understanding of a chowder is something with coarse chunks of potato, probably salt pork or
    bacon, and coarsly chopped onion in it.

    Bisques I have seen are usually pushed through a strainer, start out with fish or shellfish stock,
    and end up with a refined sort of first course soup for a nice dinner. A chowder is more a meal in
    itself, at least in its origins.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    "That idiot Leibniz, who wants to teach me about the infinitesimally small! Has he therefore
    forgotten that I am the wife of Frederick I? How can he imagine that I am unacquainted with my
    own husband?"

  5. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Lawrence Gilburtson wrote:
    > I wass thinking about soups the other day, well, ok, i think about soup every day cause I love
    > it....and wondered what the difference between a chowder and a bisque was? any ideas....talking
    > about cream based or white chowders here...thanks... LG

    Chowder generally has potatoes added as a starch, often used to thicken the soup but also to flavour
    it.. Bisque is a cream based soup.

    Jill (the soup-a-holic)

  6. thanks to you both....:>) LG

  7. Blake Murphy

    Blake Murphy Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:19:03 -0600, "jmcquown"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Lawrence Gilburtson wrote:
    >> I wass thinking about soups the other day, well, ok, i think about soup every day cause I love
    >> it....and wondered what the difference between a chowder and a bisque was? any ideas....talking
    >> about cream based or white chowders here...thanks... LG
    >
    >Chowder generally has potatoes added as a starch, often used to thicken the soup but also to
    >flavour it.. Bisque is a cream based soup.
    >
    >Jill (the soup-a-holic)

    i thought, though, that most bisques used the seafood shells as part of the stock.

    your pal, blake

  8. Bob

    Bob Guest

    blake murphy wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:19:03 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence Gilburtson wrote:
    >>> I wass thinking about soups the other day, well, ok, i think about soup every day cause I love
    >>> it....and wondered what the difference between a chowder and a bisque was? any ideas....talking
    >>> about cream based or white chowders here...thanks... LG
    >>
    >> Chowder generally has potatoes added as a starch, often used to thicken the soup but also to
    >> flavour it.. Bisque is a cream based soup.
    >>
    >> Jill (the soup-a-holic)
    >>
    > i thought, though, that most bisques used the seafood shells as part of the stock.
    >
    > your pal, blake

    (me too)

    BOB

  9. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    " BOB" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > blake murphy wrote:

    >>> Chowder generally has potatoes added as a starch, often used to thicken the soup but also to
    >>> flavour it.. Bisque is a cream based soup.
    >>>
    >>> Jill (the soup-a-holic)
    >>>
    >> i thought, though, that most bisques used the seafood shells as part of the stock.
    >>
    >> your pal, blake
    >
    > (me too)
    >
    > BOB

    You've never heard of a tomato Bisque (no sea food)?

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------

  10. Bob

    Bob Guest

    hahabogus wrote:
    > " BOB" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> blake murphy wrote:

    >>> i thought, though, that most bisques used the seafood shells as part of the stock.
    >>>
    >>> your pal, blake
    >>
    >> (me too)
    >>
    >> BOB
    >>

    > You've never heard of a tomato Bisque (no sea food)?

    Ok, most *seafood* bisques used the seafood shells as part of the stock.

    Tomato bisque uses tomato "shells" as part of the stock.

    BOB who just *might* be pushing it calling tomato skins shells

  11. On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:05:49 GMT, blake murphy <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:19:03 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Lawrence Gilburtson wrote:
    >>> I wass thinking about soups the other day, well, ok, i think about soup every day cause I love
    >>> it....and wondered what the difference between a chowder and a bisque was? any ideas....talking
    >>> about cream based or white chowders here...thanks... LG
    >>
    >>Chowder generally has potatoes added as a starch, often used to thicken the soup but also to
    >>flavour it.. Bisque is a cream based soup.
    >>
    >>Jill (the soup-a-holic)
    >>
    >i thought, though, that most bisques used the seafood shells as part of the stock.

    If you want that really special red color, that is the only way you can get it, AFIK. Always freeze
    any crustacian shells you come by until there are enough to make stock.

    We mostly eat lobster only when we are on our boat in Maine, so we have no way to keep the shells.
    There are other compensations, but I really like a bisque made from shells.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    "Hawg Polo?" . . . "Hawg Polo"

  12. Blake Murphy

    Blake Murphy Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:03:09 GMT, hahabogus <[email protected]> wrote:

    >" BOB" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> blake murphy wrote:

    >>> i thought, though, that most bisques used the seafood shells as part of the stock.
    >>>
    >>> your pal, blake
    >>
    >> (me too)
    >>
    >> BOB
    >>

    >You've never heard of a tomato Bisque (no sea food)?

    you got me there. tomato skins?

    your pal, blake

  13. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "blake murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:03:09 GMT, hahabogus <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> (me too)
    > >>
    > >> BOB
    > >>

    > >You've never heard of a tomato Bisque (no sea food)?
    >
    > you got me there. tomato skins?
    >
    > your pal, blake

    How about pumpkin bisque? kili