What is the hardest climb in the Tour?

Eldrack said:
As long as a climb has sufficient length (at least say, 10k maybe?) and an average gradient over about 4% then the hardness of the climb is defined by how fast it is ridden. Flatter climbs suit slightly heavier riders with more power, steeper climbs favour the pure climbers. If you poke up the climb at 10 kph then it ain't going to be hard. Therefore any mountain top finish can be a really hard climb.....
Flatter climbs aren't equal to steep ones. They suit the big guys because they're EASIER CLIMBS.

Every part of race can be ridden hard. Is a 2% climb as hard as a 10% climb? Even if they are both raced full-out? I don't think so.

Just my take on the matter.

Durangodave said:
Flatter climbs aren't equal to steep ones. They suit the big guys because they're EASIER CLIMBS.

Every part of race can be ridden hard. Is a 2% climb as hard as a 10% climb? Even if they are both raced full-out? I don't think so.

Just my take on the matter.
It all depends on how fast they race the climb!!!
The Galibier is very hard but it is never a finishing climb, but form the north side with the Telgraphe it is unforgettably hard, having done it and the Alpe back to back. I

As for the finishing climbs...certain riders prefer certain style climbs.
Armstrong hated TOurmalet, longer not quite as steep.
Loved the Alpe steep steep and not as long.
Plateau de Beille
Luz Ardiden
Hautacam in the Pyrenees all very hard.

Ventoux probably takes the cake I would say for length and steepness.

Over 7% the steepness takes over and the 8-10% gradients, because of gravity and rider weights really separate the climbers from the nonclimbers.

It all depends : generally the Galibier is considered to be the toughest climb but riders have their own personal hates and personal favourities.

The Tourmalet is no picnic either.

I have to say the toughest that I climbed was the Cormet De Roseland : just my personal view point.
I have climbed D'Huez and while it's not easy - it is easier than the Galibier, Tourmalet, and Roseland in my opinion.

limerickman said:
I have climbed D'Huez and while it's not easy - it is easier than the Galibier, Tourmalet, and Roseland in my opinion.
I hate the Galibier! I thought it would never end... But hé i was born in the lowlands...

cyclingheroes said:
I hate the Galibier! I thought it would never end... But hé i was born in the lowlands...

Agreed.

The Galibier is horrible : the first bit is hard - second bit is awful.