What is the ideal height/weight for a racer?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by LS17, Apr 3, 2006.

1. LS17

LS17 New Member

All things being equal?

Tags:

2. Russ968

Russ968 Banned

While I suspect there is no real ideal as we've seen different body types succeed in cycling I recall the average height weight at last years TDF was 5'9" (175cm) and 158 lbs (71kg). Of course if you'd asked what the ideal VO2max/LT is I'm sure you'd get a more varied, or dare I say, lively response.

I know in our local cat 1/2 races the common denominator is very lean body mass and a variety of heights. I'd bet average body fat is between 5 & 10%.

Since Tom Boonen appears to be "the boss," at least in the classics, his ht/wt is 6'3" (192cm) and 176 lbs (80kg).

3. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

That's good news, I'm only 2 inches taller and 4 pounds heavier. I wonder how he manages those insane sprints being that tall?

4. tehpr3chr

tehpr3chr New Member

i'm 6'2" and 175lbs...don't guess i'm too bad off..

5. endurance222

endurance222 New Member

Haha, Me either, oh wait his is all trained muscle, and mine is just muscle. I am in no way comparible to him.:confused:

6. CannonChick

CannonChick New Member

I've read that ideally you would weigh no more that 2 lbs for every inch of height.

7. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

Er... I don't think so. For me (I'm 6'5") that would be 154 pounds, which is way underweight for a guy my size.

8. whoawhoa

whoawhoa New Member

I've heard that as an old myth about climbers. Doesn't seem to slow Lance or Jan or a multitude of other climbers down.

9. CannonChick

CannonChick New Member

Yeah, could be. Every one is defferent, that's for sure.:)

10. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

That doesn't work for anyone outside of a small average height range... shorter riders should be less than 2lbs/in, and taller, more. Human beings scale proportionally.

Imagine a 5' guy at 120lbs, not very thin, or a 6'6' guy at 156lbs, he must have just gotten released from the concentration camp.

11. Lindenin

Lindenin New Member

All I can tell you is that I'm 6'2, 210, and this is definately not the ideal size for racing :)

12. ed073

ed073 New Member

no such thing, that's the great thing about our sport.

You can be as short as Damoulin or as tall as Van Summeren and still win races.

13. gitaarfreak

gitaarfreak New Member

Tom Boonen is really the boss in the classics, but he isn't a good climber, For climbers, the lighter, the better. For time trialists (flat) it is just how much power you can produce so Jan Ulrich can still win Time trials when he is overweighted. For a sprinter the only thing that matters is the explosivity. Other things to consider is how fast do you recuperate (multi-day stage races). I really believe in weight being an issue for climbers. I read somewhere that 50% increase of musclar mass only gives an increased power output of 30%.

14. nicoliani

nicoliani New Member

71kg, you wouldn't see them on TV.

15. Eastway82

Eastway82 New Member

Cunego is well under 60Kg!

16. Chris410

Chris410 New Member

There is no ideal height/weight combination, rather natural ability and a solid training regimen will get you further. Think of it this way, someone with the ideal build who has bad lungs or asthma will not do very well. Too many variables...others include handling, strategy, etc...etc...

17. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

It's a combination of Vo2 and various thresholds to find the ideal racer. Weight only comes in at percentage of body fat, bone density, muscle mass. etc. Havning said all this, extra weight does no good to anyone, espescially when going uphill. So less weight is better as long as it doesn't affect your imune system or general well-being. Lance showed that you can get your body weight and fat percentage down to ricidulously low numbers in order to maximise your performance, thought it may not be the best thing for your overall health.

Anyway, unless you're racing the TDF don't worry bout weight, eat up!

18. svtjones

svtjones New Member

When I was a wrester I weighed in at about 135lbs=140lbs without cutting weight. I had about 3% body fat. I benched 295lbs and squatted 785. I ran the mile in 4 min and 23 seconds. I think low body fat helps no matter what size you are.

19. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

at 3% you would be dead wouldn't you?... 3% is critical BF and is made up of your brain matter, skin, bone marrow, cartlidge etc. IIRC the lowest humans can go is like 4%. Of course if you have a small brain etc, maybe it is possible ;) .

20. ed073

ed073 New Member

3%?

No way.

355kg squats at 61kg bodyweight?

Troll. :/