What is the Importance of a Cadence?

Meldog

Sep 12, 2004
I'm a new member and I know what a musical cadence is but this is the first I have heard of a cadence in terms of bicycling. I think I understand what it means from doing a search but what is the importance of it and what does it mean in the long run. I'm now biking 15 miles 6 days a week because I love it and I need to lose some weight and get in shape. I've seen this term come up and I'm also looking for a nice bike computer and I just don't get what this whole cadence thing means. Thanks for all the help!!
Adam Metzler

It's the number of revolutions your legs make every minute. The ideal cadence is 85-95 rpm, both for cardiovascular/exercise reasons and that it's better for your legs, specifically the knees.

Meldog said:
I'm a new member and I know what a musical cadence is but this is the first I have heard of a cadence in terms of bicycling. I think I understand what it means from doing a search but what is the importance of it and what does it mean in the long run. I'm now biking 15 miles 6 days a week because I love it and I need to lose some weight and get in shape. I've seen this term come up and I'm also looking for a nice bike computer and I just don't get what this whole cadence thing means. Thanks for all the help!!
Adam Metzler

There are two ways to go the same speed on a bike; you can pedal faster in an easier gear, or pedal harder in a harder gear. The problem with pedaling slower in a hard gear is that muscles fatigue quickly and soon you are out of energy. Pedaling faster uses less muscle power but relies on spinning (cadence speed) whose energy is primarily cardiovascular and will last much longer.

The process of supplying energy to the body for cycling is much more complex than presented above, but I hope that answer helps.