What is the "In" helmet?

kyperman

Aug 27, 2004
All,

I have a pretty generic Bell helmet. I feel a little silly with it sometimes. If I was rich and money was no object, what would the "in" or best helmet be. That being said, since I am not rich, what is the best "budget" helmet ou there?

kyperman said:
All,

I have a pretty generic Bell helmet. I feel a little silly with it sometimes. If I was rich and money was no object, what would the "in" or best helmet be. That being said, since I am not rich, what is the best "budget" helmet ou there?
I just had the same question as you and I did some research. Looks like what a person needs to be conserned with is how well a helmet performs in a crash rather than whether or not it is "in". Screw everyone else. If I'm wearing the best helmet for protection, then I'm the trend-setter!

Here are links to a couple of bicycle helmet review and performance websites:

http://www.helmets.org

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/travel/bike-helmets-606/overview/index.htm

FYI - I'm going with the Bell Citi, a Consumer Reports "Best Buy" helmet at around $45.

You could get a bell furio ($60) or a giro Eclipse ($80) if your looking for a helment that looks like a pro's or you could just go with somthing like the Giro Indicator ($40). I wore an indicator for a very long time and only replaced it because I bought a new blue bike and the helment was bright red.

Personally, I love the bell sweep I have now (got a good deal on Ebay). It's light weight and it's really cool in the hot Georgia weather. There is really no point in purchasing a giro atmos imho unless you're a serious racer and if you crash, that would really suck to have to replace a $180 helment. Spend what you can afford and find a helment that fits you, is comfortable and one that you like.

Bike Nashbar-www.nashbar.com-is currently running a sale on helmets. Looks like some good deals there.

If price is no object, then a Met Stradivarius 199 helmet, world's lighest at 200gms using the "ultimalite" composite shell with perforated kelvar straps

HE199MW.jpg

Except the MET 199 for normal sized heads is closer to 250g.

I love my MET Stradivarius II and my Catlike Kompact Pro. They are both excellent, safe helmets. The Stradivarius is more vented and comfortable, but the Kompact is lighter, appears more aerodynamic, and is in Phonak colours.

I just received my new Louis Garneau titan carbon. Clearly it's the in helmet because I just got a new one. Lets face it though most of the top line brands helmets are pretty cool these days.

I like the one that fits my head best......and happens to be my current helmet.

Can't go wrong with the Giro Atmos, although if you want cool guy points, you could always special order a Catlike lid. You'd be the first kid on the block with a euro only helmet!

Or, if you're really cool - get an old school Cinelli Hairnet. That's what all the fast guys wear. Or maybe just a Campagnolo cap...