What is the law? Do pedestrians (runners) have the right of way.

HippyChick00062 said:
I'm from Texas, and we have a "Runner" that runs 2 ft onto the pavement of our country road, wears ear phones, and rarely looks up when running. I have always given her a wide birth, until one day she was running out of a blind curve. I moved over, only to confront a dump truck. I was then faced with either hitting the truck, or her. I chose the truck, tried my best to aim for the middle of what road I had, and ended up destroying my driver's side mirror. The dump truck ran off the road, and created a huge dust cloud, and it was only then did she notice what was going on. What's worse is I saw her in my rear view, with her back to me, hands on hips, like she was all mad for getting dusty. I called the Sheriff's Dept, and was told that if I leave MY SIDE OF THE ROAD, I am responsible for any, and all damages! From that day on, I've held my side of the road, even if I'm clear to move over. I will not make that mistake again.It only took 1 time for me to do this to her, and now, (as I'm sure she hates me), at least she pays attention, and gets out of my way. I hate to say it, but if I'm ever faced with that kind of situation again, well, I'm not leaving my lane. I understand that there is no price comparable to human life, but I will not be held accountable for someone elses ineptness to pay attention. You can hate me all you want, but YOU, as a runner should pay attention to ALL of your surroundings.
It's your responsibility to pass safely, dipshit, and you didn't do that. You had the option to slow down and wait until you cleared the blind curve, dipshit. Note the "dipshit" part: it applies to you.

Originally Posted by alienator .

It's your responsibility to pass safely, dipshit, and you didn't do that. You had the option to slow down and wait until you cleared the blind curve, dipshit. Note the "dipshit" part: it applies to you.
Well if they're going to harm others, they need to make sure they can get away without being identified. There are dozens of hit and runs over here, drivers use this tactic all the time.

ambal said:
Well if they're going to harm others, they need to make sure they can get away without being identified. There are dozens of hit and runs over here, drivers use this tactic all the time.
Hit and runs are popular in the U.S., too.

Well, I should of mentioned that the Sheriff's office stated that on a county-country road, i.e. a road that has no center stripe, runners/cyclists are to either run/ride on the graveled shoulder, or if in the road, are to yield to on-coming traffic. While most cyclists ride with the traffic, they tend to pay WAY more attention to what's coming up behind them. Some runners, on the other hand, run facing the traffic, and seem to not ever notice what's going on around them.... Someday that will be a grave mistake for them.
You are welcome to call the Hood County Sheriff's office on this. I also encourage you to "use your adjective" on them!!!
Have a GREAT day, and pay attention to oncoming traffic when running! ;D

Originally Posted by HippyChick00062 .

Well, I should of mentioned that the Sheriff's office stated that on a county-country road, i.e. a road that has no center stripe, runners/cyclists are to either run/ride on the graveled shoulder, or if in the road, are to yield to on-coming traffic. While most cyclists ride with the traffic, they tend to pay WAY more attention to what's coming up behind them. Some runners, on the other hand, run facing the traffic, and seem to not ever notice what's going on around them.... Someday that will be a grave mistake for them.
You are welcome to call the Hood County Sheriff's office on this. I also encourage you to "use your adjective" on them!!!
Have a GREAT day, and pay attention to oncoming traffic when running! ;D
Yes people need to be careful when using roads and paths. Even alienator is becoming more cautious in his wheelchair as he ages.

HippyChick00062 said:
Well, I should of mentioned that the Sheriff's office stated that on a county-country road, i.e. a road that has no center stripe, runners/cyclists are to either run/ride on the graveled shoulder, or if in the road, are to yield to on-coming traffic. While most cyclists ride with the traffic, they tend to pay WAY more attention to what's coming up behind them. Some runners, on the other hand, run facing the traffic, and seem to not ever notice what's going on around them.... Someday that will be a grave mistake for them. You are welcome to call the Hood County Sheriff's office on this. I also encourage you to "use your adjective" on them!!! Have a GREAT day, and pay attention to oncoming traffic when running! ;D
I would check the state laws rather than rely on what the sheriff's office says. It's been pretty well documented that the police aren't always aware of what the bike laws actually are. Again, you're the dipshit that made the pass. Your responsibility isn't going away no matter how much you run from it. Consider the damages an expensive lesson for you, one that you apparently didn't learn before you got your license.

LOL! I bet your one of them Liberal Democrats aren't ya??
I will check my state laws, however I am on tape inquiring as to the law, and the Deputy is on tape replying with an answer. I do understand Texas has a law called the "Not Knowing" law, which basically states that you do not have to know that you are breaking a Law, in order to do so, and may be prosecuted for it. But, as I already stated, I'm on tape, and so is the Deputy.
Your funny. I'll let you know what I find out, and based on that I will either own up to being your "Adjective", or having a silent chuckle at your expense.
And as always.... Pay attention on the road if your hoofing or 2 wheeling!

HippyChick00062 said:
LOL! I bet your one of them Liberal Democrats aren't ya?? I will check my state laws, however I am on tape inquiring as to the law, and the Deputy is on tape replying with an answer. I do understand Texas has a law called the "Not Knowing" law, which basically states that you do not have to know that you are breaking a Law, in order to do so, and may be prosecuted for it. But, as I already stated, I'm on tape, and so is the Deputy. Your funny. I'll let you know what I find out, and based on that I will either own up to being your "Adjective", or having a silent chuckle at your expense. And as always.... Pay attention on the road if your hoofing or 2 wheeling!  
What, you think you can deduce political persuasion through the suggestion that you bear responsibility for you damages? That's a tremendous leap....in **** logic. Note that you have to pay attention when on the roads, too. It's not just something that applies to everyone else. That means if you are approaching a blind corner and can't pass safely, you're responsible if you try to pass and incur damages. Sound familiar? Why would someone be so stupid as to pass on a blind curve instead of waiting until he or she had a clear line of sight? I don't care what your politics are as they don't matter one bit with respect to your driving or your refusal to accept responsibility for damages that were completely the result of your actions, not those of anyone else.

I was right! You are! Dems blame everybody but themselves, and especially if they are the ones at fault. Called Austin today, and got nowhere, cruised on line, and could only find pedestrian laws pertaining to city running, and cross-walks. (This road has neither). So I landed at the Sheriff's office once again to reiterate, and was told the basically same thing by a different Deputy, with the addition of, (and I quote) "Pedestrian may travel by foot, facing traffic, on a county road on the graveled shoulder, (if applicable)". He went on to say, "Pedestrian may travel on black top when either crossing a bridge, or crossing the black top, at an intersection, and must not impede traffic, in any direction". The only exception to this law pertains to accessing mailboxes, then you can cross the black top, void of an intersection. (Chuckle).
I was told the state leaves a hand full of these type of laws up to the Municipality, so I'm guessing they vary by county.
So there Sir, you have it. Call me a dip **** alllllll you want, the Law's the Law.
God Bless Texas!
And as always, pay attention, the Law may not be what you think if your running in a different area.
(Big Cheesey Grin!!)

HippyChick00062 said:
I was right! You are! Dems blame everybody but themselves, and especially if they are the ones at fault. Called Austin today, and got nowhere, cruised on line, and could only find pedestrian laws pertaining to city running, and cross-walks. (This road has neither). So I landed at the Sheriff's office once again to reiterate, and was told the basically same thing by a different Deputy, with the addition of, (and I quote) "Pedestrian may travel by foot, facing traffic, on a county road on the graveled shoulder, (if applicable)". He went on to say, "Pedestrian may travel on black top when either crossing a bridge, or crossing the black top, at an intersection, and must not impede traffic, in any direction". The only exception to this law pertains to accessing mailboxes, then you can cross the black top, void of an intersection. (Chuckle). I was told the state leaves a hand full of these type of laws up to the Municipality, so I'm guessing they vary by county. So there Sir, you have it. Call me a dip **** alllllll you want, the Law's the Law. God Bless Texas! And as always, pay attention, the Law may not be what you think if your running in a different area. (Big Cheesey Grin!!)
Alas, you're still responsible for your damage since you were the genius that decided to pass on the blind curve. So sad for you.

LOL! NOPE! Not gonna leave my lane!!!!! Whom/whatever hits me in MY lane is at fault, and responsible for any damages they cause. (Please see my very first comment)... Dip ****! LMBO.

HippyChick00062 said:
LOL! NOPE! Not gonna leave my lane!!!!! Whom/whatever hits me in MY lane is at fault, and responsible for any damages they cause. (Please see my very first comment)... Dip ****! LMBO.  
I did read your post: you moved over to give the runner room, and you had a collision with a dump truck. Again, you can slow down until your line of sight is clear, i.e. be safe. Whether or not the runner had the right to be there doesn't minimize your responsibility. So, try driving safely. It's not clear why you came to a cycling forum to *****. The only possible reason was to troll. You've shown the intellect of a troll, so I guess the answer is obvious. Toodles. Don't shed too many tears over your banged up vehicle.

Lol! I was interested to see if laws were the same in every state, and happened upon this site. If that makes me a Troll, oh well, it's a free country. I was reading the rants of others, and decided to share my story. (the other side of this, for balance). I had no idea anyone would respond, much less a person of your passion on this subject, albeit a little angry . I was not the one who replied with profanity, and name calling, and I tried to respond reasonably, due to the fact that I was dealing with the other side's point of view.
I in turn solidified what I already knew. I even found out a little more about the laws, and from which judicial branch they are governed, and I thank you for that.
I remained as civil as I possibly could in dealing with a radical person, until I decided it was all laughable.
Toodles to you too, Mr. Big Penis Man. In the end I realize you, like your Penis are both made of Plastic. ;D