What is the lightest XC MTB tire?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi, I know I'm really geeking here, but I'm having trouble finding weights (in grams) for the XC
    tires in general.

    I'm interested in a 26x2.0 or 2.1 for some plushness even though I'm trying to build up the lightest
    bike possible. Whats the lightest?

    I'm so geeky I dont really care how they ride as long as they are light and look cool.

    As a trail pimp, I currently have Panaracer Fires in black and red kevlar
    26x2.1s

    Is there anything lighter? What would the weight dif be?

    cheers,

    me

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, "Me" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi, I know I'm really geeking here, but I'm having trouble finding weights (in grams) for the XC
    > tires in general.
    >
    > I'm interested in a 26x2.0 or 2.1 for some plushness even though I'm trying to build up the
    > lightest bike possible. Whats the lightest?
    >
    > I'm so geeky I dont really care how they ride as long as they are light and look cool.
    >
    > As a trail pimp, I currently have Panaracer Fires in black and red kevlar
    > 26x2.1s
    >
    > Is there anything lighter? What would the weight dif be?

    Surely the performance of the tread pattern is going to be far more important off road than any
    weight saving, though the weight might be easier to analyze.

  3. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > As a trail pimp, I currently have Panaracer Fires in black and red kevlar
    > 26x2.1s
    >
    > Is there anything lighter? What would the weight dif be?

    Michelines, Continentals, Geax, WTB and other make tires that are slightly lighter (50-100g), Kenda
    are among the very lightest I think. Personally, I like the Panaracer, Fire, ride on them too, but
    also like Micheline Jet, they are 2" and very fast. Grip is not necessarily about knobs, friction is
    more important for rocks and slabs, e.g., rock climbing shoes have no tread at all. Though, this
    does not apply iin mud or muck, then knobs are useful.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

  4. Me wrote:
    > Hi, I know I'm really geeking here, but I'm having trouble finding weights (in grams) for the XC
    > tires in general.
    >
    > I'm interested in a 26x2.0 or 2.1 for some plushness even though I'm trying to build up the
    > lightest bike possible. Whats the lightest?
    >
    > I'm so geeky I dont really care how they ride as long as they are light and look cool.
    >
    > As a trail pimp, I currently have Panaracer Fires in black and red kevlar
    > 26x2.1s
    >
    > Is there anything lighter? What would the weight dif be?
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > me

    lightest knobbed tire i can think of is the old smoke II lites
    < 300grams (~270) it's a 1.9" tire though.

  5. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Me wrote:
    > Hi, I know I'm really geeking here, but I'm having trouble finding weights (in grams) for the XC
    > tires in general.
    >
    > I'm interested in a 26x2.0 or 2.1 for some plushness even though I'm trying to build up the
    > lightest bike possible. Whats the lightest

    A couple of light choices in that size range are:

    Michelin Comp S Light 26”x2.0” 465g. Hutchinson Python Air Light 26”x2.0” 480g.