What is the longest fully loaded tour have you ever done?

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®

Guest
Mileage-wise. Group or solo, supported or unsupported. Thinking ahead to a
two-week trip this summer.

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ® wrote:
> Mileage-wise. Group or solo, supported or unsupported. Thinking ahead to a
> two-week trip this summer.

Two months, England, Ireland, Wales....but it was a long time ago.
Then another two weeks tacked on in Italy. The Italians were the
most courteous drivers and the hills in Wales were quite steep
in places. For me, it was a really good experience. It's a very
good way to see places at a "human" pace and to meet people who
you might never see from other modes of travel.

On Mar 25, 5:46 pm, JCrowe <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ® wrote:> Mileage-wise.  Groupor solo, supported or unsupported.  Thinking ahead to a
> > two-week trip this summer.

> Two months, England, Ireland, Wales....but it was a long time ago.
> Then another two weeks tacked on in Italy. The Italians were the
> most courteous drivers and the hills in Wales were quite steep
> in places. For me, it was a really good experience. It's a very
> good way to see places at a "human" pace and to meet people who
> you might never see from other modes of travel.

17 days - solo - unsupported, but staying in motels. Anything in
particular you want to know?

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ® wrote:
> Mileage-wise. Group or solo, supported or unsupported. Thinking ahead to a
> two-week trip this summer.

39 days, 1200 miles

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ® wrote:
> Mileage-wise. Group or solo, supported or unsupported. Thinking ahead to a
> two-week trip this summer.

The "end to end" ----Land's End [SW England] to John O' Groats [NE
Scotland] took 21 days - I was 50 at the time. I look forward to doing
it again - maybe at 75. I recommend it - clears the head and you have
great memories.

--

Best,

TRIK3RatGMAIL.COM <mailto:[email protected]>

On Mar 26, 11:32 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Mar 25, 6:35 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Mileage-wise.  Group or solo, supported or unsupported.  Thinking ahead to a
> > two-week trip this summer.

> 79 days, 4000 miles, unsupported family ride, Atlantic (Delaware) to
> Pacific (Oregon).  Despite often nasty weather, it was one of the most
> enjoyable things I've ever done, .
>
> http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Recreation/ALittleSummerRide.htm
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Great read, and sounds like a great experience. I sincerely enjoyed
reading that.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Mar 25, 6:35 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Mileage-wise. Group or solo, supported or unsupported. Thinking
>> ahead to a two-week trip this summer.

> 79 days, 4000 miles, unsupported family ride, Atlantic (Delaware) to
> Pacific (Oregon). Despite often nasty weather, it was one of the most
> enjoyable things I've ever done, .
>
> http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Recreation/ALittleSummerRide.htm

Thanks for this, Frank. When my youngest daughter graduates college (2+
years) we plan to do a cross-country trip. (She did 10 days in Ireland last
summer as a warmup, so she's serious). Since we'd be starting in
Philadelphia, your route might even work. I'm sure we can learn from your
experience.

To answer the direct question, 662 miles (1,065 km) over 12 days (8 days
bicycling) from Kalamazoo to Charlevoix (Michigan) back to Chicago.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/walloon

On Mar 25, 3:35 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Mileage-wise. Group or solo, supported or unsupported. Thinking ahead toa
> two-week trip this summer.

I've only done about 250 miles, solo unsupported. Was planning on 400,
but pulled a hamstring on day 2, only rode 15 miles on day 3, rested
day 4, did 50 on day 5, and on day 6 the highway was closed for a
forest fire. My folks were meeting up with me that day anyway, for mom
to ride, and dad to drive sag, so we did about a 20-miler and drove
home.

My folks, on the other hand, did a couple of epic 4000+ mile
unsupported tent-camping tours in the early '00s. In 2000, they did
the Great Divide on mountain bikes in 70 days, then went from Spokane
WA to Fairbanks AK, then down to Juneau, in 99 days in 2002.

http://wirtznet.net/divideride
http://wirtznet.net/alaskaride

14 days 500 miles one rest day, unsupported with camping gear and 17
lb dog.

<[email protected]> wrote:
> Mileage-wise. Group or solo, supported or unsupported. Thinking ahead toa
> two-week trip this summer.

i did 120 miles in 11 hours, but it was as a race marshall so i was
giving directions and stopping to help people fix flats

it was in a group ... i guess supported since i could stop off and get
a drink whenever i wanted

(not very helpful, i know, but whatever)

<[email protected]> wrote:
> Mileage-wise. Group or solo, supported or unsupported. Thinking ahead to
> two-week trip this summer.

>79 days, 4000 miles, unsupported family ride, Atlantic (Delaware) to
>Pacific (Oregon). Despite often nasty weather, it was one of the most
>enjoyable things I've ever done, .

>http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Recreation/ALittleSummerRide.htm

>- Frank Krygowski

Thanks, Frank. I'm going to be spending some time reading this. Didn't do
too much riding this winter, and I'm in need of some inspiration.

"cmcanulty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 14 days 500 miles one rest day, unsupported with camping gear and 17
> lb dog.

That's awesome. Did you haul her(him) in a trailer?

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ® wrote:
> Mileage-wise. Group or solo, supported or unsupported. Thinking ahead to a
> two-week trip this summer.

On the site of the Hundred Cols Tour http://www.100cols.org (select
"English") you will find a link to an English written report of John
Rigby Jones from England, who rode the 4000 km tour in a few weeks time.
The 100 cols tour is claimed to be the toughest bicycle tour in the
world (66000 meter denivellation!)

Jan

The longest ride I took was from Ottawa Canada to Boston Ma. on one of
the first recumbents I built. About 500 miles in 6 days. It was what
convinced me that a recumbent was a better bike for long rides. I
figured that if a 50 year old two pack a day smoker could do almost a
hundred miles a day then the average person should have no problem on
long rides. Over the years we certainly had plenty of customers who
agreed. The most impressive customer we had was a guy from Bend Oregon
who rode from Bend to Anaheim Ca. to Jacksonville Florida. Four
thousand miles in forty days on a bike towing a trailer of his design
with all his camping gear, The total weight of the rig was around 80
lbs which leads me to believe that all the weight weenies out there
are concerned about something that is really not a big issue. Then
there was the couple who rode from Alaska to Florida on one of our
tandems towing a B.O.B. trailer, total weight of about 100 lbs. Also a
friend of mine and his 11 year old daughter who rode from Eugene
Oregon to Boston Ma with an identical tandem setup.
**** Ryan

"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ?" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Mileage-wise. Group or solo, supported or unsupported.

9 weeks, 4700km, unsupported group ride with camping gear round the
Baltic Sea (cut the Gulf of Bothnia by ferry) in 1993.

It changed things a little,

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei