What is the longest ride you've ever done?

Novelangel

Apr 28, 2016
I'm pretty much a casual rider, not really interested in long drawn out affairs, but I have done 6 to 10 mile rides, usually along a stretch of former railroad track converted to a walking/riding trail. Sometimes I ride gravel roads, which can be fun, with all that soft sand and hard bumps. I don't prefer completely flat stretches of road or path, but where I'm from, rolling hills prevail anyway, so I get my ups and downs. I also once did 8 miles for a Cystic Fibrosis bike-athon, and I was such a rookie at the time that I actually thought I had done well. But back then I was just a kid so I guess that's not too bad. So go ahead and leave me in your dust. What's your longest ride?

Reactions: hades_leae
I think I'm like you in that way. I enjoy riding for leisure, I don't typically ride a very stretch. But, every once and a while I'll just ride all day. I never really keep track I'm where I'm going or how long or far I've been riding.

Reactions: Novelangel
I definitely prefer shorter rides and I like to stop and take pictures and keep it really casual. The longest ride I've ever ridden was 65 miles, it was for a charity and with my husband. My husband is a serious rider so I try to support him but I definitely prefer shorter, more casual rides!

Wow, 65 miles sounds like a real workout to me. Good for you! :) I've never really ridden all day long or gone very far at a stretch, but I too like to take a camera along. I remember one bike trip where I stopped to take a picture of some geese on a river and I put my foot down, and just slowly fell over. I skinned my knee but I got the photo I wanted. Not only that but I married the guy I was riding with that day. Must be I fell for him. hehe.

Wow, 65 miles sounds like a real workout to me. Good for you! :) I've never really ridden all day long or gone very far at a stretch, but I too like to take a camera along. I remember one bike trip where I stopped to take a picture of some geese on a river and I put my foot down, and just slowly fell over. I skinned my knee but I got the photo I wanted. Not only that but I married the guy I was riding with that day. Must be I fell for him. hehe.
Hahaha what an amazing story, I LOVE that! Also thank goodness you got the photo otherwise that would have been awful hahaha.

The longest and hardest ride of my life was a couple years ago when me and my friend went to the beach, which is like 3 hours away. When we were riding back to our houses, we almost quit.

My longest ride was from Bourne all the way to Province town which was a 80-90 mile journey. I left at 6am and reached Province town around 3pm. It was a 9 hour ride and my legs felt like complete **** afterwards haha!

Wow, those are very long rides you folks are talking about. I wish I were in good enough shape to accomplish a three hour bike ride. As it is, I drive 3 hours to visit my parents once a month... let's see, that's like 175 miles. Whew. MadScientist is a truly dedicated rider as well. I have to admit, I'm not nearly that ambitious, but it's incredible that some of you have such a love for riding that you are willing to go that extra mile (or kilometer).
ZXD22-- Yikes! A 9 hour ride would leave me a corpse. Good for all of you for being so strong, healthy and ambitious and for loving the great outdoors so much. :)

When I started to ride the bicycle (may 2012.), my maximum was 20km (12 mile) per day, but after just one year of training I can easily to cross 120 km (75 mile) per day with mtb. I planing to purchase road bike for next bike touring along Danube river , it is about 1.800 miles.

I've done some really long ones but it is really more important to ride everyday or as often as possible rather than do binge riding big miles once in a blue moon.

I agree that shorter rides more often is key to getting in shape and staying that way. Not only that but if it's fun for you, that's even better, and why not have some fun every day? You sure have some long rides there, MadScientist. I can't even imagine doing 75 miles, let alone over a thousand. Yikes!

I regularly ride 10- 15 miles. And my longest ride was across a highway, If I recall. Most of times, I drive though dirt and concrete roads. Never participated in bicycles marathon but I did a few times in jogging iniciatives.
Wish I could enjoy more of biking but the current city condition is not fit to it but cars. A shame.

Several times I rode for a bit over 100 kilometres and usually I ride a lot around the city. Given the fact that I go several times over and across the city and that one direction is 8 kilometres I guess I ride every day between 30 and 100 km. I really use my bicycle a lot these days because the weather is nice and I got a bit tired of running but I need my form before the half marathon in May so bicycle is perfect.

Wow, you guys don't mess around. I never entered competitions in cycling, or marathons or even fun runs, so I can't give a confident answer like you guys. I use my bike for more of recreation and exercise than anything else, so I just hop on my bike and go for a round or two around the neighborhood near my apartment, appreciate the fresh air and view, come back when I'm tired, then do it again whenever I want. The most I was cycling was probably an hour just casually driving around the city, and that was because it was the holidays and there weren't a lot of people and cars on the streets.

I'm pretty much a casual rider, not really interested in long drawn out affairs, but I have done 6 to 10 mile rides, usually along a stretch of former railroad track converted to a walking/riding trail. Sometimes I ride gravel roads, which can be fun, with all that soft sand and hard bumps. I don't prefer completely flat stretches of road or path, but where I'm from, rolling hills prevail anyway, so I get my ups and downs. I also once did 8 miles for a Cystic Fibrosis bike-athon, and I was such a rookie at the time that I actually thought I had done well. But back then I was just a kid so I guess that's not too bad. So go ahead and leave me in your dust. What's your longest ride?

Six to ten miles is probably a little too short to get much exercise in but 20 to 25 would work out fine. And if you can do 10 miles you can do 25. Other than that don't worry too much about length but the effort you're putting into the ride.

Unlike most of you guys I don't really keep track of the miles. I'm more of a casual rider who rides for leisure and I don't really push for any results. Sometimes I can ride for half a day with few stops if the weather is good and I'm riding in a lovely area.

The longest single days ride so far was 70 miles on my 70th birthday.

You're a beast! 70 miles in a day! Good for you. I'm more of a casual rider so I really don't go too far for too long. It's something I do for enjoyment more than anything. I think the most I've done was 20 miles but it was at different intervals throughout the day. I recall it being a challenge since I was not used to that type of biking and I was in a lot of pain the next day. I just like to cruise around about 5-10 miles away from home at the most.

Back in days gone by I did 12 and 24 hour cycling ultra endurance racing. My best 24 hour total was 327 miles on a not so flat course. Now I do what I call cutting the state in half x 2 twice a year. I start at the Massachusetts / New Hampshire state line and stay on one road route 12 and follow that to the Massachusetts / Connecticut state line. Then I turn around and follow it back, then ride home so that gives me 147 miles.