What is the most dangerous city to bike in?

JoeHudson said:
Hit and run is standard, and the public doesn't seem to mind
The public doesn't seem to mind a lot of outrageous occurrences on the road. In the Sunday paper, there was an article about crashes caused by drivers nodding off at the wheel, in which a woman whose father died in a head-on collision caused by a "drowsy driver" lamented bitterly that the culprit received nothing more than two points against her driver's license and a $115 fine for killing her father. A hundred years of automotive carnage has resulted in a widespread attitude of "Oh, Well" among the public toward such incidents, and it's not likely to change within another hundred years.

Ive only ever ridden in the Greater Manchester region (UK) and thats pretty bad but no where near as bad as London i hear.
The general publics overall impression of the commuting cyclist seems to be one borne out of basic ignorance and the actions of a few mad couriers with a death wish. There was a recent daytime radio program on the BBC discussing cyclists and the general concencus was that they were a nuiscance.
You are absolutely right about the hit and run issue, the statistics of bike related incidents should be made public so everyone can see the real need for improved cycling facilities on the roads, arent we all supposed to be using our cars less? People are simply not going to bother if the roads are as dangerous for the cyclist as they are!!

JoeHudson said:
More importantly, what can be done about it. The Mobile, Alabama metro area is one of the worst. My guess is you don't hear about a car hitting a cycle unless there's a death. Hit and run is standard, and the public doesn't seem to mind:

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1103019463147650.xml

Without a shadow of a doubt the most dangerous city to cycle in, is Hong Kong.

There is very little we cyclists of Hong Kong can do about it because the Government does not support road safety, especially from a cyclists' point of view.

The mentality of motorists and the way they perceive cyclists makes it a very dangerous place to bike.

The Government do provide cycle paths but they are very impractical, most have fallen into disrepair and they are hindered by badly placed and by the overuse of street furniture, most of whch is meant to slow down cyclists!!!!

Has anyone got a better candidate for the most dangerous city to cycle in?

I would say Tokyo (sucking in all that pollution counts?)...but really any Asian capital city would do.

I cant even imagine Beijing. The little red man on the walk lights gaurantees death, whereas the little green man at least gives you the chance of life.

Stay safe guys.

I commuted in Birmingham, UK which was relatively calm. Then I moved to London which is so gridlocked the traffic doesn't move that fast in places, so you're prety safe. I now live in Auckland NZ, and this definitely the worse place of the three. People have no idea how to handle cyclists and the quality of driving is very poor.

greentyres said:
Ive only ever ridden in the Greater Manchester region (UK) and thats pretty bad but no where near as bad as London i hear.
The general publics overall impression of the commuting cyclist seems to be one borne out of basic ignorance and the actions of a few mad couriers with a death wish. There was a recent daytime radio program on the BBC discussing cyclists and the general concencus was that they were a nuiscance.
You are absolutely right about the hit and run issue, the statistics of bike related incidents should be made public so everyone can see the real need for improved cycling facilities on the roads, arent we all supposed to be using our cars less? People are simply not going to bother if the roads are as dangerous for the cyclist as they are!!
Don't hate on the couriers. It's not so much a "death wish" as it is their livelyhood depends on it. Most couriers are not on salary and are paid on a per-job basis. Riding for fun and riding to make a living are two entirely different worlds. Riding as a courier is like being trapped in frogger for 9 hours a day. Both cars and cyclists are the banes of eachothers existance. Both are fighting for ground in a "you have the right of way 'til you're in the way" sort of world. Couriering is a harsh mistress. So don't blame the couriers for the state of cylcists vs. drivers. It's a mutual hatred as they are all trying exist on the same crowded streets.

MERTON said:
amsterdam from what i read.

Amsterdam? Bicycles outnumber cars. They have a special bike lane with traffic rules that defer to bicycles. :)

In Johannesburg so many cyclists have been knocked off their bikes and seriously injured or killed that they are opening motor race ways in the evenings for cyclists to train there as opposed to riding on the roads. I have never personally had a close call when cycling in Joburg but know of a number of people who have had been knocked off their bikes while on the road. It seems that there is just a general intolerance for cyclists - as if we aren't allowed out on the roads and should just stick to indoor trainers and spinning classes!

try riding here in Manila, Philippines...

after your ride, i'll read your post as to which is the most dangerous city to bike in.

ejglows said:
I cant even imagine Beijing. The little red man on the walk lights gaurantees death, whereas the little green man at least gives you the chance of life.

Stay safe guys.

Beijing - omigod, that city scared the daylights out of me. As we were riding from the airport to the hotel (Joon Gwo Da) it was clear that this was not a city for anyone using or crossing the street, especially bicyclists.

The taxis seem to think a red light just means "blow your horn".

We blew through one red light and nearly hit a guy on a bike. I've never seen someone on a bike move backwards so fast. I think he had a lot of practice. :D

Mumbai (Bombay), India

Haven't bike there, but having driven with professional drivers there and "white nuckling" it for 3 hours at a time and seeing cyclist dodging cars there I would say that it is at least in the running with other big Asia cities.

JoeHudson said:
More importantly, what can be done about it. The Mobile, Alabama metro area is one of the worst. My guess is you don't hear about a car hitting a cycle unless there's a death. Hit and run is standard, and the public doesn't seem to mind:

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1103019463147650.xml

What is the most dangerous city to bike in?
Hmmm. Might be Karbala.
Imagine not only avoiding door prizes and dumb pedestrians but also
bombs and grenades? Damn those cyclists are skilled out there.
www.kingzoftheroad.com so fresh! :cool:

BadBoyUltra said:
Without a shadow of a doubt the most dangerous city to cycle in, is Hong Kong.

There is very little we cyclists of Hong Kong can do about it because the Government does not support road safety, especially from a cyclists' point of view.

The mentality of motorists and the way they perceive cyclists makes it a very dangerous place to bike.

The Government do provide cycle paths but they are very impractical, most have fallen into disrepair and they are hindered by badly placed and by the overuse of street furniture, most of whch is meant to slow down cyclists!!!!

Has anyone got a better candidate for the most dangerous city to cycle in?
Couldn't agree more BadBoy! Have just come here from Australia and am lamenting the cycling! Tung Chung is a bit of a regular but even there the buses make you are target!

Come on boomer and badboy things can only improve.I know its not so easy but you only have to look at these messages to see that everyone thinks his city is the worst.Yesterday I cycled from TST to the NT accompanied by a solo and a tandem for part of the way.It is possible even in rush hour.Just been to RTHK to listen into a programme on ....cycling in HK. Get involved both of you and campaign for better faciliities etc
Check out
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/massridehk/

nurgles said:
Come on boomer and badboy things can only improve.I know its not so easy but you only have to look at these messages to see that everyone thinks his city is the worst.Yesterday I cycled from TST to the NT accompanied by a solo and a tandem for part of the way.It is possible even in rush hour.Just been to RTHK to listen into a programme on ....cycling in HK. Get involved both of you and campaign for better faciliities etc
Check out
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/massridehk/
Well said Nurgles! Have gone to your group and requested to join. How did you get to NT from TST? I am glad to see that I am not the only crazy fool who rides the Tai Po Road perhaps?? Very keen to campaign. Boomer11:D

Hi boomer.

No youre not the only "fool" there's lots of us ride the Tai Po Road.I live near Tuen Mun so went TST ,Kowloon Tong(for the show) Shek Kip Mei,Lai Chi Kok and over Castle Peak Road to Kwai Chung and Tsuen Wan....its the only way and have done it loads of times.I commute by bike everyday but admittedly Im in the NT but I had a friend who went from Pokfulam to Hung Hom everyday.

Its all possible.See you on the massride sometime
Phil

boomer11 said:
Couldn't agree more BadBoy! Have just come here from Australia and am lamenting the cycling! Tung Chung is a bit of a regular but even there the buses make you are target!

HK is not a place to cycle especially on the road. Even if you are good enough, Carbon Monoxide poisoning is not avoidable. However, l believe there are many off-road riding trails in the Lantru Island. Off road is possible not on-road! :)

Dont believe you are safe from the gases because you are in a car or bus or walking the pavement.Its the same everywhere.London,Manila(yuk),Bangkok