What is the order of the shimano Groups

jbzy

Apr 3, 2004
I need to decide on how to upgrade my rockhopper. What is the order of the shimano groups, from highest to lowest. hanks in advance :D

..and shimano's new HONE line will fit in somwhere between LX and XT i think

Originally posted by bigchina
..and shimano's new HONE line will fit in somwhere between LX and XT i think

It will fit somewhere between XT and LX pricewise, or so they claim but functionally its a different breed. Its kind of a mix of XT, XTR, and Saint for aggressive riding. Seems shimano is moving away from the traditional method of having refining similar parts as the group gets more expensive. Functionally their groups have been more or less the same traditionally. Now they are targeting different groupsets directly at different types of riding which kind of makes more sense than the one size fits all system. XT and XTR will remain the do it all and XC groups. We'll have to see what happens to LX. Saint is now a complete groupset for 05 designed around downhill, freeriding, jumping, etc, Hone is a low cost group for aggressive riders who want something more durable than XT/XTR but don't require anything as extreme and heavy as Saint.

Originally Posted by jbzy .

I need to decide on how to upgrade my rockhopper. What is the order of the shimano groups, from highest to lowest. hanks in advance /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
As noted ... XTR, XT ... with SLX being the Group that is currently sandwiched between XT & LX.

I think that the HONE a Downhill component Group.

While the derailleurs from the lesser Groups (e.g., Acera) are as functonal as the better ones (except for the lowly 7-speed SIS stuff), you probably don' want to get (pay for) anything lower than LX because the cost difference isn't, IMO, worth settling for the lesser "stuff" ... the difference between the front derailleurs is mostly cosmetic, BTW.

Road Dura-Ace/Di2
Ultegra 6700
Tiagra
Sora
Mountain Bike XTR
Saint
Deore XT
SLX
Deore
Alivio