What is the prevailing opinion of this bike?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kyron, Apr 19, 2003.

  1. > How does everyone feel about this one?

    > http://www.burley.com/products/road-bikes/default.aspx?p=Fox+Hollow&i=1

    "The Fox Hollow offers everything we require in a bicycle. Stiff and nimble for evening criteriums.
    Light and stable for the week-long stage race. Comfortable and durable for the weekend century."

    How could you possibly go wrong? :>)

    Seriously, Burley makes nice stuff, but it appears they've decided to crank up the hyperbole setting
    higher than I'm used to seeing from there. I would also question the 18lb weight they quote which,
    for a steel-framed Ultegra bike, is a tough target to hit.

    Best thing to do is find a good dealer and take one out for a ride. If you like the bike and the fit
    works for you, great! By the way, did you find the chart for frame dimensions? I must be
    brain-dead... it's probably right in front of me, but don't see it.

  2. >If the bike fits you and your pocketbook, get it. If not, don't.

    A bit crabby this evening? Anyway, it doesn't matter.

    I guess you could put reasonable wheels on it, but that headset is forever.

    The Ultegra is nice.

    the Texas Elvis"------------------

  3. Kyron

    Kyron Guest

    I have the dealer and have ridden it, I do like it. I just wanted to get a general opinion ,I think
    I will dropping the dime next week!

    "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > How does everyone feel about this one?
    > >
    > > http://www.burley.com/products/road-bikes/default.aspx?p=Fox+Hollow&i=1
    >
    > "The Fox Hollow offers everything we require in a bicycle. Stiff and
    nimble
    > for evening criteriums. Light and stable for the week-long stage race. Comfortable and durable for
    > the weekend century."
    >
    > How could you possibly go wrong? :>)
    >
    > Seriously, Burley makes nice stuff, but it appears they've decided to
    crank
    > up the hyperbole setting higher than I'm used to seeing from there. I
    would
    > also question the 18lb weight they quote which, for a steel-framed Ultegra bike, is a tough
    > target to hit.
    >
    > Best thing to do is find a good dealer and take one out for a ride. If
    you
    > like the bike and the fit works for you, great! By the way, did you find the chart for frame
    > dimensions? I must be brain-dead... it's probably
    right
    > in front of me, but don't see it.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com

  4. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    "kyron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > How does everyone feel about this one?
    >
    > http://www.burley.com/products/road-bikes/default.aspx?p=Fox+Hollow&i=1

    i'm not familiar with the fox hollow, but can tell you that we have a burley zydeco tandem, and have
    really enjoyed it. we rode other tandems, but decided on it for its' handling and ride quality. one
    thing i can see by the picture is that burley has gone with the low road racer position that just
    doesn't work for a lot of riders (like
    me). having the seat level with the handlebars solves a lot of comfort problems. maybe a dealer can
    install a taller stem. mike is probably right about the optimistic weight figure, but i think too
    much emphasis is put on that. when you figure in the weight of the rider, a couple of extra
    pounds doesn't mean that much, and may help durability. my biggest bike weight problem has been
    all the 12 oz. "curls" i've done, and the failure to do the "pushaway" exercise (push away from
    the table before you eat too much!). smokey (clydesdale shooting for 220#)

  5. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "kyron" wrote:

    > How does everyone feel about this one?

    Depends what you want to do with it. Their advertising suggests it's great for every use; I'm a
    little skeptical of that. If I were buying it, I would ask to substitute more conventional wheels
    and a different cassette than the specified 11-23.

    What kind of a fit session did the dealer provide you? Is the stem length right for you? Are the
    bars at a comfortable height? Are you positioned properly wrt the BB?

    There are lots of bikes out there. What makes this one your first choice? Price? Looks? Component
    group? Fit? Comfort?

    Art Harris

  6. "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >If the bike fits you and your pocketbook, get it. If not, don't.
    >
    > A bit crabby this evening? Anyway, it doesn't matter.

    Well there's not really much more to say about it...if the OP's already settled that that's the
    bike, well that's that. He hasn't indicated preferences or other options he's exploring...

    make mine a hetchins:

    www.hetchins.org

    > I guess you could put reasonable wheels on it, but that headset is forever.
    >
    > The Ultegra is nice.

    mmm. I can only dream of such componentry in my present penury.

    -Luigi

  7. Melisa Johns

    Melisa Johns Guest

  8. Kyron

    Kyron Guest

    It was on the floor of my shop!

    I couldn't decide on Aluminum or Steel, so I rode the Burley and a Felt F35 (I think that is the
    model, either 35 or 50). I decided on a steel bike. I was also looking at the Specialized Allez Comp
    CrMo but I can't find one in my size for 100 miles, and I guess Specialized can't get another one
    into the country!

    I'll see whatever else the shop has but it will probably be the Burley for
    me.

    What suggestions would everyone make concerning the components? Is there something that you
    would change?

    "Melisa Johns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A well spec'd bike from a good company. Cereous how to came to consider Burley?
    >

    > "kyron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > How does everyone feel about this one?
    > >
    > > http://www.burley.com/products/road-bikes/default.aspx?p=Fox+Hollow&i=1

  9. Melisa Johns

    Melisa Johns Guest

    I'd be happy with an 18 pound steel bike the way it is. And if they have a Burley Runabout, I should
    visit their shop

    "kyron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It was on the floor of my shop!
    >
    > I couldn't decide on Aluminum or Steel, so I rode the Burley and a Felt
    F35
    > (I think that is the model, either 35 or 50). I decided on a steel bike.
    > was also looking at the Specialized Allez Comp CrMo but I can't find one
    in
    > my size for 100 miles, and I guess Specialized can't get another one into the country!
    >
    > I'll see whatever else the shop has but it will probably be the Burley for
    > me.
    >
    > What suggestions would everyone make concerning the components? Is there something that you
    > would change?
    >
    > "Melisa Johns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > A well spec'd bike from a good company. Cereous how to came to consider Burley?
    > >

    > > "kyron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > How does everyone feel about this one?

    http://www.burley.com/products/road-bikes/default.aspx?p=Fox+Hollow&i=1

  10. Kyron