What is the procedure for replacing bucked rear wheel (wrt: gear sprockets)

MB2

Mar 9, 2008
Guys

I have, somehow, buckled my rear wheel. It is buckled enough such that it scrapes up against the brake pad hard enough to stop the wheel (on average). This occurs on every rotation.

Assuming I choose not to have it straightened (if that is even possible, I don't know) what is the procedure for getting a new one.

Will the LBS tech remove the gear sprockets from my old wheel and fit them to a new wheel or will I have to pay for both a new wheel and new gear sprockets.

In which case the sprockets/(wheel) will have to match the derailer?

Thanks

MB2 said:
Guys

I have, somehow, buckled my rear wheel. It is buckled enough such that it scrapes up against the brake pad hard enough to stop the wheel (on average). This occurs on every rotation.

Assuming I choose not to have it straightened (if that is even possible, I don't know) what is the procedure for getting a new one.

Will the LBS tech remove the gear sprockets from my old wheel and fit them to a new wheel or will I have to pay for both a new wheel and new gear sprockets.

In which case the sprockets/(wheel) will have to match the derailer?

Thanks
The cluster of sprockets is called either a cassette or a freewheel, depending on the type of hub. Either can be removed and put on your new wheel. A cheap thing for a shop to do for you and generally an easy DIY with proper tools and simple guidance. It would be a good time to check the sprockets and chain for wear and replace if necessary. You should definitely have the wheel checked by a competent repair shop - more than likely it can be re-trued.

Take your wheel to a decent bike shop. For a few Euro (or USD, depending where you are) they should be able to true your wheel (=work on the spokes to make the wheel round and straight again).

If this is not possible, they can easily rebuild the wheel for you with a new rim (if the hubs are worth it) with the same hub and cassette.