What is the proper way to prep / clean / polish a titanium frame?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Shane Halpin, Jul 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shane Halpin

Shane Halpin Guest

Dear all,

I've just bought a NOS Raleigh Ti frame - this is one of the last of those that were snapped up by
    UK dealers when Raleigh shamefully ceased UK manufacture - made in UK by real (but now redundant)
    craftsmen - ah! well that's another story :-(

Back on topic - the frame needs to be cleaned and finished. Can those of you in the know tell me the
    best way to prep / clean / polish and maintain etc. etc., a Ti frame?

Many thanks

Shane [email protected] remove first "the" to reply

Tags:

2. Barbara L

Barbara L Guest

I asked the same question when I got my Merlin almost 2 yrs ago. Some used automotive wax but most
    recommended a furniture polish like PLEDGE. I just spray it on a rag then then rub it on. It works
    well. It also seems to keep dirt etc from sticking.

"Shane Halpin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I've just bought a NOS Raleigh Ti frame - this is one of the last of those that were snapped up by
    > UK dealers when Raleigh shamefully ceased UK manufacture - made in UK by real (but now redundant)
    > craftsmen - ah! well that's another story :-(
    >
    > Back on topic - the frame needs to be cleaned and finished. Can those of you in the know tell me
    > the best way to prep / clean / polish and maintain etc. etc., a Ti frame?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Shane [email protected] remove first "the" to reply

3. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

Shane Halpin wrote:
    > I've just bought a NOS Raleigh Ti frame - this is one of the last of those that were snapped up by
    > UK dealers when Raleigh shamefully ceased UK manufacture - made in UK by real (but now redundant)

I've got one of those!! :) Good choice: great value frame. For those who don't know it, assuming it
    is the same as mine, it has a matt "satin" Ti finish.

> Back on topic - the frame needs to be cleaned and finished. Can those of you in the know tell me

If brand new, first wipe down lightly with dry rag to remove the worst of the dusty stuff.
    Then clean just with warm water and a little detergent (and do this whenever it gets dirty
    from road use).

There are various special polishing products on the market, but these are not strictly necessary for
    this frame. I suggest: either just leave it natural (titanium is highly corrosion resistant so the
    finish doesn't actually *need* any treatment or maintenance at all), or try Vaseline rubbed in with
    a cloth (pref lint free). This will leave an attractive shine - although it won't last all that
    long. At least it's cheap.

~PB

4. Jason Wright

Jason Wright Guest

Is it a Dynatech model? I have one and have been trying to get any information on it without
    success. Can you help?

Jason

"Shane Halpin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dear all,
    >
    >
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Shane [email protected] remove first "the" to reply

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.