What is the proper way to prep / clean / polish a titanium frame?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Shane Halpin, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. Shane Halpin

    Shane Halpin Guest

    Dear all,

    I've just bought a NOS Raleigh Ti frame - this is one of the last of those that were snapped up by
    UK dealers when Raleigh shamefully ceased UK manufacture - made in UK by real (but now redundant)
    craftsmen - ah! well that's another story :-(

    Back on topic - the frame needs to be cleaned and finished. Can those of you in the know tell me the
    best way to prep / clean / polish and maintain etc. etc., a Ti frame?

    Many thanks

    Shane [email protected] remove first "the" to reply

    Tags:

  2. Barbara L

    Barbara L Guest

    I asked the same question when I got my Merlin almost 2 yrs ago. Some used automotive wax but most
    recommended a furniture polish like PLEDGE. I just spray it on a rag then then rub it on. It works
    well. It also seems to keep dirt etc from sticking.

    "Shane Halpin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I've just bought a NOS Raleigh Ti frame - this is one of the last of those that were snapped up by
    > UK dealers when Raleigh shamefully ceased UK manufacture - made in UK by real (but now redundant)
    > craftsmen - ah! well that's another story :-(
    >
    > Back on topic - the frame needs to be cleaned and finished. Can those of you in the know tell me
    > the best way to prep / clean / polish and maintain etc. etc., a Ti frame?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Shane [email protected] remove first "the" to reply

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Shane Halpin wrote:
    > I've just bought a NOS Raleigh Ti frame - this is one of the last of those that were snapped up by
    > UK dealers when Raleigh shamefully ceased UK manufacture - made in UK by real (but now redundant)
    > craftsmen - ah! well that's another story :-(

    I've got one of those!! :) Good choice: great value frame. For those who don't know it, assuming it
    is the same as mine, it has a matt "satin" Ti finish.

    > Back on topic - the frame needs to be cleaned and finished. Can those of you in the know tell me
    > the best way to prep / clean / polish and maintain etc. etc., a Ti frame?

    If brand new, first wipe down lightly with dry rag to remove the worst of the dusty stuff.
    Then clean just with warm water and a little detergent (and do this whenever it gets dirty
    from road use).

    There are various special polishing products on the market, but these are not strictly necessary for
    this frame. I suggest: either just leave it natural (titanium is highly corrosion resistant so the
    finish doesn't actually *need* any treatment or maintenance at all), or try Vaseline rubbed in with
    a cloth (pref lint free). This will leave an attractive shine - although it won't last all that
    long. At least it's cheap.

    ~PB

  4. Jason Wright

    Jason Wright Guest

    Is it a Dynatech model? I have one and have been trying to get any information on it without
    success. Can you help?

    Jason