What is the proper way to prep / clean / polish a titanium frame?

Shane Halpin

Guest
Dear all,

I've just bought a NOS Raleigh Ti frame - this is one of the last of those that were snapped up by
UK dealers when Raleigh shamefully ceased UK manufacture - made in UK by real (but now redundant)
craftsmen - ah! well that's another story :-(

Back on topic - the frame needs to be cleaned and finished. Can those of you in the know tell me the
best way to prep / clean / polish and maintain etc. etc., a Ti frame?

Many thanks

Shane [email protected] remove first "the" to reply

I asked the same question when I got my Merlin almost 2 yrs ago. Some used automotive wax but most
recommended a furniture polish like PLEDGE. I just spray it on a rag then then rub it on. It works
well. It also seems to keep dirt etc from sticking.

news:[email protected]...

Shane Halpin wrote:
> I've just bought a NOS Raleigh Ti frame - this is one of the last of those that were snapped up by
> UK dealers when Raleigh shamefully ceased UK manufacture - made in UK by real (but now redundant)
> craftsmen - ah! well that's another story :-(

I've got one of those!! :) Good choice: great value frame. For those who don't know it, assuming it
is the same as mine, it has a matt "satin" Ti finish.

> Back on topic - the frame needs to be cleaned and finished. Can those of you in the know tell me
> the best way to prep / clean / polish and maintain etc. etc., a Ti frame?

If brand new, first wipe down lightly with dry rag to remove the worst of the dusty stuff.
Then clean just with warm water and a little detergent (and do this whenever it gets dirty
from road use).

There are various special polishing products on the market, but these are not strictly necessary for
this frame. I suggest: either just leave it natural (titanium is highly corrosion resistant so the
finish doesn't actually *need* any treatment or maintenance at all), or try Vaseline rubbed in with
a cloth (pref lint free). This will leave an attractive shine - although it won't last all that
long. At least it's cheap.

~PB

Is it a Dynatech model? I have one and have been trying to get any information on it without
success. Can you help?

Jason